Anyone ridden a Pyzel Wildcat?

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I had a Mr. Pyzel sighting at Uluwatu a few weeks back.

one of the team guys ran down the steps with a Wildcat sporting glass ons. Hot looking board, but I didn’t get to see it in motion.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Oversized Wildcat for longer waves, cruisier surfing, and extra paddle power. What say ye? Thinking 6'4 (I'm 6'1).

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Oversized Wildcat for longer waves, cruisier surfing, and extra paddle power. What say ye? Thinking 6'4 (I'm 6'1).
Too boaty? I don't really like riding boards more than 20 3/4 wide or so. Maybe that's just me though. If I was looking for cruisy and paddly, I would go with a Crisis Twin in a short dims

Pyzel has said you can contact him to get some dims for one of these. Reckon this is more cruisy, whereas wildcat looks more performancy imo

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
This is a timely reboot. I picked up a stock 6'0 last month and gave it a really solid break in... This board goes insane. I was hesitant a bout the shape at first b/c of the stock dims. Seemed a bit wide for what I'd want. Do not let that fool you. This is one of those shapes that-even if it doesn't feel special under arm- does whatever you want it to do very easily. Huge sweet spot. Tons of hold. Much more reactive than what you'd think regarding volume and dims.

It's what I've wanted too many other twins to do that just didn't accomplish what this does with all of the contributing factors. I got it at a good price and knew I liked Pyzels other shapes so figured I'd roll the dice. It's since completely replaced so many of my other boards.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
This is a timely reboot. I picked up a stock 6'0 last month and gave it a really solid break in... This board goes insane. I was hesitant a bout the shape at first b/c of the stock dims. Seemed a bit wide for what I'd want. Do not let that fool you. This is one of those shapes that-even if it doesn't feel special under arm- does whatever you want it to do very easily. Huge sweet spot. Tons of hold. Much more reactive than what you'd think regarding volume and dims.

It's what I've wanted too many other twins to do that just didn't accomplish what this does with all of the contributing factors. I got it at a good price and knew I liked Pyzels other shapes so figured I'd roll the dice. It's since completely replaced so many of my other boards.
what's the range you've ridden it in? shape looks like an alt stap to me

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA

Looks really fun. There’s a 6’0 green XTR on OU (erBBer?) that’s tempting, but I can’t talk myself into another twin.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/DHjWHfP5qwb

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Looks really fun. There’s a 6’0 green XTR on OU (erBBer?) that’s tempting, but I can’t talk myself into another twin.

Check out this item on OfferUp. https://offerup.co/DHjWHfP5qwb
That was mine. I only rode it a few times, sold it. The guy who bought it must be selling again. It just didn’t feel right for me-at all. I have a ton of respect for Pyzel so I think it was just the archer in this case. I really only ride boards from sakal and CC and that XTR experiment reminded me why. Those guys know me, I know them. Should not have strayed-especially for a DD type board. Ill stray for an alt, specific niche boar, but that’s it for now. Every 5 years or so i need a lesson to stay in my lane-that was it.

money4coffeeman

Gerry Lopez status
Mar 31, 2005
This thread needs a refresh especially in light these posts..
Apparently not just for average waves..
This board will be my next pyzel pursuit..

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I felt one up at some super touristy shop in Hanalei last year and it felt super friendly under the arm.

When I got back home I surfed a local beachie and saw a guy I recognized who’s an almost QS level surfer not looking that good on one. I was on my Stamps Kai-zen and I felt like I was on the much better bort in pretty rippable conditions.

He’s quite a bit younger than me, but we both surf within the same zone so I’ve seen him on lots of borts over the years. I know I have super off days from time to time, so I shouldn’t judge based on one person’s outing on presumably a freshie, but I felt better about not lugging home a new bort and I was definitely tempted.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I felt one up at some super touristy shop in Hanalei last year and it felt super friendly under the arm.

When I got back home I surfed a local beachie and saw a guy I recognized who’s an almost QS level surfer not looking that good on one. I was on my Stamps Kai-zen and I felt like I was on the much better bort in pretty rippable conditions.

He’s quite a bit younger than me, but we both surf within the same zone so I’ve seen him on lots of borts over the years. I know I have super off days from time to time, so I shouldn’t judge based on one person’s outing on presumably a freshie, but I felt better about not lugging home a new bort and I was definitely tempted.
I felt up a couple in Oside shop last month and I was tempted by urchined’s old XTR on OU. But I got the feeling it would be a SoCal good wave twin rather than a DD for mortals… and I have 6’1 one of those I love already.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Felt one up today. I'd say it's a Socal good wave twin or daily driver for Hawaii or Norcal. Almost yolo'd the stock 6'0 but it was sprayed grey. Felt like it would rip in punchy waves in the chest to overhead range. Lamination from the Oside factory was super clean.

Reactions: oeste858 and sdsrfr

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
IMG_1489.jpgIMG_1486.jpg
Picked myself up what I figure is a surfed once Wildcat 6'4" for $550 Aud (so a couple of six packs in USD) and pad was already on there. I'm 60yrs 6'1" and 88kgs. Bought it with the intention in leaving it at a mate's place O/S. I was kindly allowed to test ride before buying by the owner of the surf shop. Paddles very well and catches waves really easily. My soft as butter local point is right across the road from the shop and it was high tide and only 1-2'.
The board is fast, super lively and responsive...first wave on it I knew it was a done deal. Very easy to ride...especially in these dims - 6'4" x 21" x 2.88" @ 41.2L. The fins are fibreglass 3D (they have the dimples on the outside surface like a golf ball) Aipa templates.
Completely concur with what @frontsidegrab said about the board in his post above.
@Maz I reckon you would really enjoy one.
This is a description of the wave out front of my mate's place OS from the local surf shop...should be perfect for it. Need a fast board if the swell direction is hitting the reef head on rather than angling in.

"Classic P#@&% is a single to double to even triple overhead left-handed wave with barrels you could drive a Volkswagon through. It is big, strong, powerful... everything you expect from a world-class wave. However, in smaller swells P#@&% can be a head-high fun wave with a long, long shoulder to ride without too much danger. The wave appears smaller from the beach than it actually is so make sure you know what you're getting into before you paddle out. One time I went there it looked about single to double overhead from the beach but after reaching the line-up we found it to be triple overhead or more and almost died just trying to get back into the beach!"
Noice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maz and claw87