Anyone ridden a MOTE Fiji?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
The Aussie exchange rate is pretty good right now. They're really not much more than a boutique US shape so it's really just the wait that I can handle.

My friend just bought a Tolhurst Mid 6 7' and we're heading to Mexico today so I'll have a chance to try it in some good surf. Looks a little more performanc-y than I'm looking for but open to trying it out. I do like that construction for a travel board. Wish it was a bit smaller though.

The Chili looks a little more high performance than I'd like. Looking for more of a glidey egg feel than a higher volume shortboard with lots of rocker.

Having tried the Doc and the Maurice Cole, I've kinda whittled down what I like in these sort of boards and the MOTE looks like it has what I'm looking for but open to other suggestions.
This looks like it works:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
kook-strap hat! love it.
wonder if he's also a recent shingles survivor
boar looked alright
He share's his father's (Richard Cram) DNA that is for sure.
rgruber be interested to hear how you get on with the Mid6? I find it's easy to cruise on by standing forward a little but if you want just put your back foot over the fin cluster and it will do shortboard turns and those channels help it drive through them with speed.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've got a 6'7" MOTE Fiji on order. They were not taking orders for a while but are now taking them again. It's gonna cost me around $1100-1200 shipped here to So SoCal. No idea when I'll get it...pretty excited.

Will see how it goes up against my 7' Townsend that I LOVE.
I am not sure I could handle that :socrazy: The wait would not kill me it would be the shipping "hayden erbb story" and stress if it arrives in one piece:toilet:

Last edited:
Reactions: cros

Toobz

OTF status
Oct 8, 2013
South Oz.
I know Gaz is about as popular as a turd floating in the line up on this forum but his “Two” model has been transcendent for me. Ordered as a midlength twin but plays the role equally as well as a cheater/big guy shortboard or step up. Apart from the length & width that’s where the similarities end compared to your average mid twin. Healthy amount of nose & tail rocker, both thinned out and pulled in, super foiled rails and generally a shortboard type foil throughout. Cruise it or rip on it. Only mid I’ve seen in person surfed as hp is a couple of shorter chilli midstrengths ridden by very good surfers.
3 years later and it’s still in regular rotation, in fact most surfs lately I take out a shorty only to head in mid sesh and grab the McNeill. Paddles heaps better, I catch twice the waves and doesn’t feel like I have to sacrifice all that much in the way of performance so why the f not.

Last edited:

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
I have a 6’6 Fiji. Its definitely not a groveller. Likes lined up waves with a bit of push. For me its the perfect good wave board.
Long Phish has a wider range but is a very different ride. Beau Cram muscles that board into doing what he wants.

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
I owned a 6'6 MOTE Fiji here in Bali for about 6 months and eventually sold it. I likes hollow waves. Very effective at Dessert Point, but just ok around Ulu, Impossibles, and Bingin. Surprisingly, my 6'2 Christenson Nautilus catches waves earlier, generates more speed, and turns just as well.

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
@Maz you have a Chilli mid strength? If so care to chime in?
I've said quite a bit about it on the Mid Length thread, but I'll second Havoc's words: surprisingly versatile (big range). I've ridden mine as a super groveler in knee high waves, and had one of my best surfs of 2022 in pumping 12ft faces.

Odd looking board, but it just goes.

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
I owned a 6'6 MOTE Fiji here in Bali for about 6 months and eventually sold it. I likes hollow waves. Very effective at Dessert Point, but just ok around Ulu, Impossibles, and Bingin. Surprisingly, my 6'2 Christenson Nautilus catches waves earlier, generates more speed, and turns just as well.
The Facebook group had a field day when you sold that thing last month aye... I'm surprised to hear it didn't like Ulu. I would have loved to have tried that board at Outside Corner when it's coming in

Reactions: csarqui

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
Quad nautilus?

aldo

Nep status
Aug 13, 2012
Bahamas
It likes the wave to be steep at 2’ or 10’ and anywhere in between. I had a long phish previously but sold it. I have another on order in Bali for a trip in a couple of months. Both great boards but very different. The LP has incredible range and rides more like a mid length.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I don’t really like fish (or quads) so the nautilus is out.

Rode My friends Mid 6 today in decent sized, head high-ish beach break. Went pretty well but not what I’m looking for. Too much rocker and too performance oriented. Looking for a lower rockered board where the turns are more deliberate.

The one thing I really dug about the DocTur Twin was the wide-ish low rockered channel bottom tail. Turns felt really good.

The Fiji looks to have a similar wider, low rockered tail so imagine that feeling would be similar. Lot of the other boards like the mid strength look like they go with a narrower tail with more rocker to facilitate release rather than hold.

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009

Rode My friends Mid 6 today in decent sized, head high-ish beach break. Went pretty well but not what I’m looking for. Too much rocker and too performance oriented. Looking for a lower rockered board where the turns are more deliberate.

The one thing I really dug about the DocTur Twin was the wide-ish low rockered channel bottom tail. Turns felt really good.

The Fiji looks to have a similar wider, low rockered tail so imagine that feeling would be similar. Lot of the other boards like the mid strength look like they go with a narrower tail with more rocker to facilitate release rather than hold.
MC bonzer egg maybe with alpha omega bottom and set up sounds like what you want or even modfied Russ Short:shrug:

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009

Interesting about the Mid6. That board is at the top of my list, but I'm not looking for a lot of rocker either. I like free speed!

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Album ledge would be my pick, thinking about yoloing one.
I like my Ledge a lot but talk to them about thickness and be careful just YOLOing one. The deck is super flat and chunky.

That makes it super fun in some conditions but my doesn't seem to love super critical sections.

Definitely considering a Nautilus or Long Phish for this upcoming big wave season. I know Beau Cram is a serious ripper but that was some inspiring stuff.