Anyone know the surfboard policy for Cathay Pacific?

meegoreng

OTF status
Mar 12, 2010
Southbay
Am going to Bali at the end of August with a layover for a couple days in Singapore.Looking to take a few boards? Anyone fly them recently?
How about Air Asia - they seem cheap but not sure about board fees.

spenat

Nep status
Feb 11, 2008
Brooklyn- Manhattan beach
i;m flyinf them to indo in august as well

this is from their website but it does not say what they charge. no sure bout air asia

Surfboarding / windsurfing equipment will not be included in the free Checked Baggage Allowance; the equipment will be assessed as follows:

One board NOT exceeding 277cm (109in) - charged at the applicable rate for 5kg (11lbs) of excess baggage, or
One board exceeding 277cm (109in) - charged at the applicable rate of 8kg (17.6lbs) of excess baggage.
Note: Only one set of surfboarding / windsurfing equipment per passenger is entitled to the special rate; any additional board(s) will be charged at the applicable excess charges.
EXCEPTION: Passengers travelling to, from and within South West Pacific (Australia & New Zealand) regardless of carriers, surfboarding equipment is part of the baggage allowance. Normal excess baggage rates apply if allowance is exceeded.

meegoreng

OTF status
Mar 12, 2010
Southbay
Thanks, I love how they make it real easy. Its a shame theyre not like Singapore Air so I'm gonna expect the worst and try to hide two boards in the bag and claim one.

Gonna try and call them to find out what the exact charges are.

meegoreng

OTF status
Mar 12, 2010
Southbay
Just got off the phone with Cathay Pacific and they are charging per board these days.
According to the representative i spoke with the first board will be charged 50% of the typical rate they charge. Any other boards after that will be full price. This is for each way.

So for my flight from LAX to Singapore the first board will be $54.50 and the second will be $109 (full price.

Either way they're not going for free but it could be worse i guess.

I hope this helps.

Jan 22, 2010
Just take Singapore, 2 boards are free under certain length. AirAsia is killer, used them twice. I think I paid $30 to take two boards in one bag, staff is great, planes are clean. I think I paid like $120 each way from Singapore for the ticket. If you have United or Star Alliance miles it's 10,000 miles each way from Singapore on Singapore Air. Can't beat it.