Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Let's see if this is any good, heard great things, my only concern is that this is a bourbon...

we're on the second straight week above the 100s though, this is gonna have to wait. Sunday should chill a bit and weather will be good for a wee dram.

1700228247250.png

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Eagle Rare is my go-to bourbon, at the price point. There's better, sure, but they cost a lot more.
I'm really curious to see if I can actually enjoy a bourbon. Woodford Reserve was a step up from the others I had tried, it wasn't nauseating. lol... no, it's actually pleasant... although the young cereal distillate traces bother me a bit... fine for sipping on a plane or if I'm offered, but no sense in drinking it at home where I have so many extremely better options.

I think enjoying or not this Eagle Rare might seal the deal for me as far as being able to enjoy a good bourbon.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I'm really curious to see if I can actually enjoy a bourbon. Woodford Reserve was a step up from the others I had tried, it wasn't nauseating. lol... no, it's actually pleasant... although the young cereal distillate traces bother me a bit... fine for sipping on a plane or if I'm offered, but no sense in drinking it at home where I have so many extremely better options.

I think enjoying or not this Eagle Rare might seal the deal for me as far as being able to enjoy a good bourbon.
Eagle Rare is good for the price. If you want good you have to pay more. Look for Weller 12yr, Rip Van Winkle, Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, Hillrock. All will be sweet, it's bourbon after all, but some are better than others.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Eagle Rare is good for the price. If you want good you have to pay more. Look for Weller 12yr, Rip Van Winkle, Pappy Van Winkle, George T. Stagg, Hillrock. All will be sweet, it's bourbon after all, but some are better than others.
Absolutely. But if I don't like this level of bourbon, then the taste profile is probably not for me so it wouldn't be worth investing in even better bottles. It's one thing to hate Jack Daniel's, Maker's Mark or Jim Beam... but if I can't enjoy even an Eagle Rare, I think that seals the deal that I should probably stick to Single Malt.

Reactions: keenfish

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Michter’s is also a solid and reasonably priced option if you are dipping into the rye/bourbon world.
I'll keep an eye out, in case I enjoy the Eagle Rare.

I did a quick research and couldn't find it anywhere though. The one Brazilian store that had it listed is out of stock. The price listed there is not cheap at all, and when it's out of stock the price is usually outdated (meaning it will probably be more expensive).

When it comes to bourbon, the prices can vary wildly, specially outside of the US.

Reactions: sushipop

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Absolutely. But if I don't like this level of bourbon, then the taste profile is probably not for me so it wouldn't be worth investing in even better bottles. It's one thing to hate Jack Daniel's, Maker's Mark or Jim Beam... but if I can't enjoy even an Eagle Rare, I think that seals the deal that I should probably stick to Single Malt.
bruk's, you hit the nail on the head! It's one or the other.

I can't even drink Scotch. I hate it! But I love the brown delectable Bourbon. :cheers:

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
****Delicious Scotch Alert**** bruichladdich classic laddie at my local Trader Joe's for $55
Classic Laddie popped up on sale here and I passed :trout:.

I hear it's delicious but I'm leaning towards some older scotch... the Classic Laddie is like 7ys old. I hear it's truly delicious though. I have the Port Charlotte 10 from Bruichladdich and it's really something else, I expect the Classic Laddie to be similarly good (yet completely different).

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Tried making an Old Fashioned yesterday... Damn, I don't think this is for me. :roflmao: . I feel like an idiot for buying that Angostura... it should last decades at least. :trout:

Not the proper glass for an Old Fashioned... and the ice looks ugly in this pic even though I made it crystal clear. none of it matters since this drink tastes so weird. :roflmao:. Whiskey Sour all the way, so much tastier than this.

1700314008819.png

• Haha
Reactions: Havoc and $kully

sushipop

Miki Dora status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Tried making an Old Fashioned yesterday... Damn, I don't think this is for me. :roflmao: . I feel like an idiot for buying that Angostura... it should last decades at least. :trout:

Not the proper glass for an Old Fashioned... and the ice looks ugly in this pic even though I made it crystal clear. none of it matters since this drink tastes so weird. :roflmao:. Whiskey Sour all the way, so much tastier than this.

View attachment 166951
What’d you put in it? Might I suggest making a perfect manhattan instead? Instead of all sweet vermouth it‘s a mix of sweet and dry along with bitters and a luxardo cherry. A manhattan varient I also like is with Amaro Nonino instead of vermouth.

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
What’d you put in it? Might I suggest making a perfect manhattan instead? Instead of all sweet vermouth it‘s a mix of sweet and dry along with bitters and a luxardo cherry. A manhattan varient I also like is with Amaro Nonino instead of vermouth.

Sugar (no cubes and no syrup unfortunately, just actual organic Demerara sugar), 3 dashes of Angostura Aromatic Bitters, mixed it together, added bourbon (Woodford reserve), than a twist of orange and a twist of lemon, and a big block of ice.

I had tried this a few days earlier at my buddies, but he only had a very simple orange variety that's not great for zesting... using a good orange for the orange twist yesterday made a lot of difference, but not enough to change the taste profile... not really for me tbh.

I'm willing to try different drinks, the problem is I have to buy everything from scratch... I don't have Vermouth and many other ingredients I could use to try.

But I'll keep having at it. It's why I got the Woodford reserve... I also have 2 old blended scotches I could use for this, guilt free (a 12 year Logan and an old Grant's Family Reserve... neither are great neat so drinks it is)

Reactions: sushipop

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I had a go at the Eagle Rare 10 yesterday, just the tiniest little dram. This is something else, it's so much better than any other bourbon I had tasted so far. Very complex. Nice mouthfeel. Good Whiskey. I'm considering ordering a second bottle while we're on these Black Friday prices, I just need to try it again to make sure I wasn't tripping. Weird thing is the nose on the glass while I was drinking was super interesting, but nosing the glass after it was done, it basically smelled of Bourbon, the kind I wouldn't enjoy (one of the reasons I wanna try it again before ordering another).

Reactions: Havoc

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns