Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
An old friend has decided to quit drinking and rang me up to ask if I wanted some freeze booze. She said, "The bottles wouldn't be full, at maximum you'd get two good bottle and one not so good, still interested?"

"Sure."

This is what I picked up last night.

3/4 full
1664557017170.png

Maybe 1/4 to 1/5 full:
1664557068963.png

And the klunker....about 1/10 full thank goodness:

1664557115301.png

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
An old friend has decided to quit drinking and rang me up to ask if I wanted some freeze booze. She said, "The bottles wouldn't be full, at maximum you'd get two good bottle and one not so good, still interested?"

"Sure."

3/4 full
View attachment 138883

Maybe 1/4 to 1/5 full:
View attachment 138884

View attachment 138885
Would love to get my hands on The Classic Laddie... but TBH 50% seems like a bit much for me... My Aberlour 48% is delicious but it does feel it's a bit on the edge of what I can take for now. I've been using a few drops of water to drink that one.

I was gonna hold off a little longer before buying any more bottles but dang this exclusive limited deal popped up and I had to take it. It will take a few weeks to arrive though, but got the GlenAllachie 12 (been jonesing about that one but price was an issue. paid 2/3 of the price, had to take it).

I think I have most of the 12's I wanted to try. Now I need to double my monthly salary if want want to start venturing into the 15+ realm of the good ones. Double the prices you see in the US and it's basically what I pay here, so you get an idea.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Found the triad of awesome must have 12 years olds... These are the ones I'll keep buying as they go.

GlenDronach 12
Bunnahabhain 12
GlenAllachie 12

In that exact order.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other ones too... but these just tower over them. Better than GlenFiddich 15 and GlenLivet 15 too by a longshot, and those are great,

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I've not been posting here in response, but I'm obsessed with Whiskey, almost as much as @brukuns , I just don't have the means to buy all those nice ones. It's not the most expensive, but my all time favourite, is still the Balvenie 14 year old Caribbean cask.

It might be nostalgia, or the whiskey that finally opened my eyes, so to speak. I hated whiskey after a bad experience as a kid, then had one of the Carribean casks under the tutelage of my mother in law, and I've been hooked since.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Found the triad of awesome must have 12 years olds... These are the ones I'll keep buying as they go.

GlenDronach 12
Bunnahabhain 12
GlenAllachie 12

In that exact order.

Don't get me wrong, I like the other ones too... but these just tower over them. Better than GlenFiddich 15 and GlenLivet 15 too by a longshot, and those are great,
Gotta add The Balvenie Doublewood 12 to this list. It had been a while since I last tasted it and I tried it again last night. It's up there with the others... lots of sherry... creamy... smooth. hint of honey in the background but sherry still stronger. Probably got better after several weeks resting in the cabinet.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III

"Sure."

3/4 full
View attachment 138883

Maybe 1/4 to 1/5 full:
I like the Bruichladdich whiskies a lot. If you like peated Scotch, check their Octomore.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had a whiskey phase a few years ago. I didnt get too deep into it but I did find a few bottles that I quite enjoyed. I think got sidetracked by fancy tequila which was more to my liking, generally. I dont drink much of either these days preferring the occasional hazy beer if I feel the need to drink. Beer just agrees with me more probably because its a little more self limiting compared to the hard stuff. I definitely get the appeal of good spirits but it felt like it was just a little too easy to over do it.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I had a whiskey phase a few years ago. I didnt get too deep into it but I did find a few bottles that I quite enjoyed. I think got sidetracked by fancy tequila which was more to my liking, generally. I dont drink much of either these days preferring the occasional hazy beer if I feel the need to drink. Beer just agrees with me more probably because its a little more self limiting compared to the hard stuff. I definitely get the appeal of good spirits but it felt like it was just a little too easy to over do it.
I don't drink a lot at once... but I am having a hard time not drinking at least a little bit every day. Those bottles just call my name after my wife hits the sack... just so good to take a few sips while watching something on the couch with no one nagging.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
GlenDronach 12 is my favorite. I was a bit worried because the 2 bottles I had gotten so far were bottled in 2018... and had "Non Chill-filtered" on the label.

Something changed and they removed it from the label after 2021... People were worried the quality of their whisky would decline because they were adding chill-filtering... I did however find some articles saying that nothing really changed... but because they already had some level of filtration, they weren't compliant with certain Scotch laws hence they changed the label but the content on the bottle remained the same.

I got my 3rd bottle last week and tried it a couple days ago... bottled in December 2021, no longer has "Non Chill-filtered" on the label. tried it. delicious as ever... nothing changed. If you were worried about the change, don't be. GlenDronach remains a beast.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I will still get my hands on a macallan, but I went too crazy recently... like, seriously, all those bottles on the first post were purchased in less than a month. I really wanna try the Macallan 12 Sherry Cask but it will have to wait (80% chance I'll purchase it before the weekend is done).
Managed to contain myself for 2 months and a half... not bad. I will try to keep this bottle closed until a proper moment though, too many opened bottles.
macallan.jpeg

Been really enjoying the GlenAllachie 12... It's very complex, it's a blast to keep trying to figure out the different flavors.
glenallachie.jpeg

GlenDronach 12 still king here though.

Reactions: Dekerwild

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point

"Sure."

3/4 full
View attachment 138883

Maybe 1/4 to 1/5 full:
View attachment 138884

View attachment 138885
My land lord was having opiate addiction issues and he told me he flushed his pills down the toilet.

I said "NEVER flush your opiates down the drain. Give them to me." :)

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Glen Allachie is good stuff. Not many know about it yet as IIRC they basically sent all their juice to Chivas for blending for decades. Just recently started bottling under their own label, maybe five years ago.

Reactions: brukuns