Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
My brother in law really likes Single Malt Scotch and he introduced me to this world recently... I never thought this would happen but I'm totally into it now. I'm not really big in self control so I already bought quite a few bottles, tasting glasses and whatnot. I have always been a beer guy but honestly I'm getting a bit sick of it... I love how I can just keep a dram to the side not worrying if it's getting warm... if anything it will taste better if I live it out for too long.

Wondering if some of you might be into it and what do you like or recommend. Also, how do you keep yourself from drinking every day? I keep finding different flavors as my palate matures I get anxious to try again and again and again.

If I'm becoming an alcoholic at 40yrs old, it better be with style!

The bottles I got so far... obviously these are all entry level, as they should be. If I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the Glendronach 12, love the sherry. Liked all of them so far and waiting for a Balvenie Triple Cask 12 I just ordered.
scotch.jpeg

Or maybe as proud americans you're more into Bourbon?

Cheers!

• Love
Reactions: waxfoot and tsenn

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
My brother in law really likes Single Malt Scotch and he introduced me to this world recently... I never thought this would happen but I'm totally into it now. I'm not really big in self control so I already bought quite a few bottles, tasting glasses and whatnot. I have always been a beer guy but honestly I'm getting a bit sick of it... I love how I can just keep a dram to the side not worrying if it's getting warm... if anything it will taste better if I live it out for too long.

Wondering if some of you might be into it and what do you like or recommend. Also, how do you keep yourself from drinking every day? I keep finding different flavors as my palate matures I get anxious to try again and again and again.

The bottles I got so far... obviously these are all entry level, as they should be. If I had to pick an absolute favorite it would be the Glendronach 12, love the sherry. Liked all of them so far and waiting for a Balvenie Triple Cask 12 I just ordered.
View attachment 137846

Cheers!
Bourbon
Bulliet try and then try the sour :cheers:

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Good start...You'll be drinking Ardbeg in no time...follow Ralfy on youtube...
Got the Talisker to ease into that peat flavor. it's amazing. I'll get there. Already following Ralphy and a few others. I never thought I would be watching videos of people drinking stuff :ROFLMAO: .

Bourbon
Bulliet try and then try the sour :cheers:
What other bourbon would you recommend? My brother in law is all about Single Malt scotch, but I have no gripes with trying different things. I heard good bourbon is considerably cheaper than good Single Malt Scotch and looking into the prices for the Bulliet it sure seems to be the case! I just have no idea (yet) what makes a bourbon tick.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Joshua2415

Tom Curren status
Jul 18, 2005
San Clemente
Got the Talisker to ease into that peat flavor. it's amazing. I'll get there. Already following Ralphy and a few others. I never thought I would be watching videos of people drinking stuff :ROFLMAO: .

What other bourbon would you recommend? My brother in law is all about Single Malt scotch, but I have no gripes with trying different things. I heard good bourbon is considerably cheaper than good Single Malt Scotch and looking into the prices for the Bulliet it sure seems to be the case! I just have no idea (yet) what makes a bourbon tick.
Try here... Bourbon whiskey thread
I couldn't find the original Whiskey thread cuz this search engine sucks @$$. :cursing::computer:

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA

View attachment 137846

Cheers!
drank it for a little while. then noticed if I drank it my urine smelled like whisky, and after a few times of that my whiskey started smelling like my urine and I was done.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Oh man, I've had the Ardbeg and Laphroaig, and a couple other Islays, those are tough. I need to be in the mood to sip on those. Tastes like Grandpas ashtray. I prefer American whiskey.

Reactions: keenfish

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
drank it for a little while. then noticed if I drank it my urine smelled like whisky, and after a few times of that my whiskey started smelling like my urine and I was done.
You have to really focus to get all of the scents in a whisky glass... were you pissing on a tasting glass and sniffing it?

• Haha
Reactions: john4surf

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Oh man, I've had the Ardbeg and Laphroaig, and a couple other Islays, those are tough. I need to be in the mood to sip on those. Tastes like Grandpas ashtray. I prefer American whiskey.
I found those too rough too! Which is why I got the Tallisker 10 to get acquainted to it... smells peaty... and of sea air... but when you taste you barely get that at all, it's pretty "fruity"... I'm having a blast with it and I plan to always have a bottle in the house.

Reactions: RemyXO

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
May favorite in your collection is the Talisker. Peaty but not overwhelmingly smoked like Lafroig and Lagualavin (spell). Just returned from another visit to Scotland last week. Always put 1-2 drops of water in your Scotch to neutralize and cloud the drink. Stay away from Lowland scotches. Trader Joe’s has a great value for a slightly plated malt, Finlagen. Thank me later!

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
May favorite in your collection is the Talisker. Peaty but not overwhelmingly smoked like Lafroig and Lagualavin (spell). Just returned from another visit to Scotland last week. Always put 1-2 drops of water in your Scotch to neutralize and cloud the drink. Stay away from Lowland scotches. Trader Joe’s has a great value for a slightly plated malt, Finlagen. Thank me later!
good tip with the water, but tap water for this is just no good'o. and spring water isn't easy to come by here, I can only find mineral water... I'll probably just buy a premium bottle and leave it there just for this, should last for a freaking long time. Most of my bottles are only 40% abv so not all of them will benefit from some water. I also hear only the better scotch types will cloud. I think most of mine are chill filtered (I know the glendronach isn't).

What I've been doing is let the glass sit for as long as I can before drinking, let that alcohol vape away.

Speaking of alcohol, man, that GlenLivet 15 is the smoothest whisky I ever had. It's not complex at all, but it's just so creamy and smooth that it feels nice... will always keep one of this around too.

I really like the Talisker, but the Glendronach takes the cake for me... aged exclusively in Pedro Ximenez and Oloroso casks, it's probably the best sherry you can get for the money. My inlaw knows I loved it and next time I visit he will pour me the 15, 18 and 21... looking forward to it. I won't even dream of the 18 and 21, too price... and the 15 I just can't find it anywhere (and it's pretty pricey too to be honest).

About to taste the glenmorangie 10 I just popped open. have the Quinta Ruban ready too for comparison (it's the 10 plus 4 years in ex-Porto casks).

Fuck, I can already feel the cirrhosis slowly developing. Worth it.

• Love
Reactions: john4surf

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Most of my bottles are only 40% abv so not all of them will benefit from some water. I also hear only the better scotch types will cloud.
40% I would not add water to. 46%, sure, but try it both ways and drink what you like. In between, YMMV.

Tips:

1) Most Scotches do not improve after 18 years.

2) Single Malts are not necessarily the best. They were created for Americans. Plenty of awesome blended Scotches out there.

3) Good value in Irish Whisky if peat is not your thing.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
40% I would not add water to. 46%, sure, but try it both ways and drink what you like. In between, YMMV.

Tips:

1) Most Scotches do not improve after 18 years.

2) Single Malts are not necessarily the best. They were created for Americans. Plenty of awesome blended Scotches out there.

3) Good value in Irish Whisky if peat is not your thing.
Thanks for the tips! I will look into Irish Whisky for sure. I did start with single malts because man, my "sponsor" is all about them, gotta show some respect. But definitely open to blends...will eventually get that Chivas Extra (sherry, yum) and also want the Green Label, word is it's a decent blend. but I got plenty of bottles already in a very, very short time. I won't be buying anything for a few months (I probably will really but I for sure shouldn't).

The Glenmorangie 10 I just tried didn't feel that great... I actually saw vapor come out of the bottle when I opened it. will probably leave it alone for a few months see if it improves a bit (so much for "the tallest copper stills in Scotland" making smoother spirit). It didn't taste bad, but I realized I miss the sherry.

It actually feels good figuring out which ones I really like. And I for sure love sherry. So far Glendronach is king... (first bottle was a gift from my brother in law... it's done and dusted already so I got a second one)... GlenLivet 15 is a must for being so smooth... Glenfiddich 15 is fruity and smooth (glenlivet is smoother but more "boring")... and Talisker feels awesome but heavy compared to the others (higher ABV too)... Still wrapping my head around the Balvenie Doublewood as it feels too spicy, so I'm holding back on it until my palate deserves it... same for the Quinta Ruban 14, not spicy at all, but I feel like I'm not there yet. Anxious to get my hands on the Balvenie Triple Cask... 1l too.

Will use the Glenfiddich 12 and Glenmorangie 10 for when I have someone over and will probably drink more than I should... less expensive. Not saying I will pour my visits the ones I don't like, just saying that if I'm having 5+ glasses I should probably use the cheaper ones... for myself. Visits will drink whatever they prefer, always, I don't care if it's a Macallan 25. If you visit you are getting top notch meat and quality booze (it's a good thing most of my friends prefer heineken. lol).

And as with everything else, this sh!t is really expensive in Brazil... I keep getting these new expensive hobbies I can't afford but spend money on them anyway. lol. fuck it, you only live once.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
yeah if you like peaty wet leather, Laphroaig for sure. I only have liquor/scotch w family during the holidays but used to like pouring myself a top shelfer after a bartending shift. Premium Scotch prices have gotten crazy. Lagavulin 16 was another favorite

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
good tip with the water, but tap water for this is just no good'o. and spring water isn't easy to come by here, I can only find mineral water... I'll probably just buy a premium bottle and leave it there just for this, should last for a freaking long time. Most of my bottles are only 40% abv so not all of them will benefit from some water. I also hear only the better scotch types will cloud. I think most of mine are chill filtered (I know the glendronach isn't).

What I've been doing is let the glass sit for as long as I can before drinking, let that alcohol vape away.

Speaking of alcohol, man, that GlenLivet 15 is the smoothest whisky I ever had. It's not complex at all, but it's just so creamy and smooth that it feels nice... will always keep one of this around too.

I really like the Talisker, but the Glendronach takes the cake for me... aged exclusively in Pedro Ximenez and Oloroso casks, it's probably the best sherry you can get for the money. My inlaw knows I loved it and next time I visit he will pour me the 15, 18 and 21... looking forward to it. I won't even dream of the 18 and 21, too price... and the 15 I just can't find it anywhere (and it's pretty pricey too to be honest).

About to taste the glenmorangie 10 I just popped open. have the Quinta Ruban ready too for comparison (it's the 10 plus 4 years in ex-Porto casks).

fook, I can already feel the cirrhosis slowly developing. Worth it.
Mineral water = spring water

Different names for the same thing

• Wow
Reactions: brukuns

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
I'm guilty but reformed.
GGlendive, Laphroaig sometimes ice and melting ice. Also drank it with tomato juice bloody style, occasional Rusty Nail, light on the Drambui .
I'm reformed.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Thanks for the tips! I will look into Irish Whisky for sure. I did start with single malts because man, my "sponsor" is all about them, gotta show some respect. But definitely open to blends...will eventually get that Chivas Extra (sherry, yum) and also want the Green Label, word is it's a decent blend. but I got plenty of bottles already in a very, very short time. I won't be buying anything for a few months (I probably will really but I for sure shouldn't).

The Glenmorangie 10 I just tried didn't feel that great... I actually saw vapor come out of the bottle when I opened it. will probably leave it alone for a few months see if it improves a bit (so much for "the tallest copper stills in Scotland" making smoother spirit). It didn't taste bad, but I realized I miss the sherry.

It actually feels good figuring out which ones I really like. And I for sure love sherry. So far Glendronach is king... (first bottle was a gift from my brother in law... it's done and dusted already so I got a second one)... GlenLivet 15 is a must for being so smooth... Glenfiddich 15 is fruity and smooth (glenlivet is smoother but more "boring")... and Talisker feels awesome but heavy compared to the others (higher ABV too)... Still wrapping my head around the Balvenie Doublewood as it feels too spicy, so I'm holding back on it until my palate deserves it... same for the Quinta Ruban 14, not spicy at all, but I feel like I'm not there yet. Anxious to get my hands on the Balvenie Triple Cask... 1l too.

Will use the Glenfiddich 12 and Glenmorangie 10 for when I have someone over and will probably drink more than I should... less expensive. Not saying I will pour my visits the ones I don't like, just saying that if I'm having 5+ glasses I should probably use the cheaper ones... for myself. Visits will drink whatever they prefer, always, I don't care if it's a Macallan 25. If you visit you are getting top notch meat and quality booze (it's a good thing most of my friends prefer heineken. lol).

And as with everything else, this sh!t is really expensive in Brazil... I keep getting these new expensive hobbies I can't afford but spend money on them anyway. lol. fook it, you only live once.
Green Label is mostly Talisker. Rumor has it Diageo changed the recipe when they brought it back after discontinuing it for a few years around a decade ago.