Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
I add a couple of drops of water using two fingers, I Run them under the kitchen tap briefly then allow a couple of drops to roll off into the glass. To my surprise dry roasted unsalted peanuts in the shell go great with whisky - I crack them out of their shells but leave the skins on the peanuts - the peanut skin I think is what really works with the whiskey.

Reactions: brukuns

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I add a couple of drops of water using two fingers, I Run them under the kitchen tap briefly then allow a couple of drops to roll off into the glass. To my surprise dry roasted unsalted peanuts in the shell go great with whisky - I crack them out of their shells but leave the skins on the peanuts - the peanut skin I think is what really works with the whiskey.
Unsalted is probably better. Salt although tastes great, will probably mess up your ability to feel some of the more subtle flavors. or not.

This brazzo drunk (AKA whisky reviewer) I follow swears by eating a little piece of dark chocolate (like 70%) before tasting... removes the sugar from your mouth. I don't know... def worth a try at least.

but yeah, peanut, cashews and the like sound like they would go great with whisky. Was having some salami with my Talisker the other day, went great too. would probably not go that great with a more fruity scotch.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Just got back from a camping trip (had a bottle of laphroaig in the bin).

I'm a newcomer to this. Been drinking American whiskey for 3-4 years and in the last 6 months to a year have been trying Scotch more frequently.

My favorites so far:

Glennffidic 15
Oban
Isla Gold
Lagavulin
Laphroaig

My wife hates it when I drink Laphroaig. She can smell it across the living room.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Just got back from a camping trip (had a bottle of laphroaig in the bin).

I'm a newcomer to this. Been drinking American whiskey for 3-4 years and in the last 6 months to a year have been trying Scotch more frequently.

My favorites so far:

Glennffidic 15
Oban
Isla Gold
Lagavulin
Laphroaig

My wife hates it when I drink Laphroaig. She can smell it across the living room.
If you liked GlenFiddich 15, give the GlenLivet 15 a try. it's incredibly smooth, like, you can't believe how easily it goes down. It tastes awesome too... fruity but not as fruity as GlenFiddich... I think GlenFiddich is a bit too much. and the GL feels so creamy it's just yum. I have both and so far I like the GlenLivet much better... I know that can change with time though, but a lot of reviewers seem to favor the GL over the GF.

I'm not ready for a Laphroaig, still easing into it with a Talisker.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
Not a scotch or whiskey but I have a bottle of Remy Martin XO cognac (not Louis XIII unfortunately) that is unopened and nearly 30 years old. Is it a good drink?
Yeah, that's a decent bottle. Cognac is an acquired taste though. Liquor doesn't keep aging in the bottle and Remy XO is a blend anyway, so it's unlikely the age of the bottle matters here. It can with single malt scotch when particular vintages are sought after.

Reactions: sponge

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Had a glass of the Maker’s Mark. No alcohol burn at all but honestly I didn’t like the taste. Very different from single malt scotch, didn’t really sit well with me. Maybe bourbon is not for me. Oh well, you win some…

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Had a glass of the Maker’s Mark. No alcohol burn at all but honestly I didn’t like the taste. Very different from single malt scotch, didn’t really sit well with me. Maybe bourbon is not for me. Oh well, you win some…
I’m not a fan of MM neat. Save it for mixing. Woodford Reserve is a good “starter” Bourbon. If you don’t like that, you probably won’t like any of them.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
whiskey (with an 'e') refers to grain spirits distilled in Ireland and the United States. Whisky (with no 'e') refers to Scottish, Canadian, or Japanese grain spirits.

???

Brukuns, I wouldn't say Makers is a good sipping whiskey IMO, better suited for cocktails.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
I heard that too but it appear it's not always the case... Maker's Mark for example, they write "Whisky" in the bottle (check the picture above), and it's a bourbon.
Yep! The fellow who started Maker’s Mark was a Scot who immigrated to the colonies. He spelled it that way and they never changed it. His wife came up with the idea of candle wax over the cap. Another story was the Irish spelt whiskey with an E while the Scotts spelt it without the E. John

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Not a scotch or whiskey but I have a bottle of Remy Martin XO cognac (not Louis XIII unfortunately) that is unopened and nearly 30 years old. Is it a good drink?
Yeah, that's a decent bottle. Cognac is an acquired taste though. Liquor doesn't keep aging in the bottle and Remy XO is a blend anyway, so it's unlikely the age of the bottle matters here. It can with single malt scotch when particular vintages are sought after.
"Cognac is an acquired taste" is BS. Cognac is no more an acquired taste than any other spirit, especially compared to peated Scotch. Bourbon doesn't get classified that way because it's an American thing, and we are used to it. Remy XO is where that brand starts getting good though, and rancio begins to express in a pronounced way. Fractional blending is the norm in Cognac, and I hope it stays that way. I have had many vintage Cognacs and they are never as good as the blends. Interesting, yes, but never as good. Armagnac, too, and Calvados. Blending makes it better.

And yeah, spirits do not go bad. Sponge, when you open it, give it a little shake before pouring. The top layer will have evaporated a tad and shaking it will mix that in so you get a better representation of the spirit.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
I'm not one to mix cocktails (If I'm doing that I usually prefer the good ol' caipirinha)... but I realized that's what I'll have to do. Earlier today I was even looking at some recipes... I like sour, lemony stuff and I'm taking suggestions for something extremely easy with not many ingredients.

I also have two friends who really like mixing with bourbon... I might give it to them as a gift, they usually go for much cheaper like Jim Beam, so I'm sure they would appreciate it... or take it with me when they're having me over. Not planning on buying anything else for a while... exceptions if a really good single malt I'm looking for pops up in a good sale.

I went WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY over budget this month. My rationale was, keeping only one or two bottles, they would dry up real fast. by having a solid base I can rotate between them and keep a lot of variety. that base is there now (probably more than needed, but no regrets).

Reactions: PJ

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
can't go wrong with an old fashioned
My fave as of the last few years :beer:

Mint Julip is a classic. I tend not to order them in a bar because they are time consuming and often done wrong by bartenders who don't know better but I'll make them at home :beer:

I like sour, lemony stuff and I'm taking suggestions for something extremely easy with not many ingredients.
Start with a simple syrup on the stove- 1/2 water, 1/2 sugar (why they call it simple). With that you can make anything- add citrus juice and zest for sour mix, mint leaves for mint syrup, etc

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
one thing I learned quickly when venturing into cocktails is you can make something much better at home than what you get at an average bar. You gotta go to the right place and often pay a lot to get a good cocktail.

Mezcal drinks in TJ and Mexico City have changed my life lol.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Whiskey Sour
.75 oz simple (see grapedrink recipe above, equal parts water and sugar by volume)
.75 oz lemon juice
2 oz Bourbon
egg white (optional)

If using egg, dry shake (no ice) then wet shake (with ice) or vice versa (bar nerds have their preference). Serve however you want, up (double strain) or down (single strain) on the rocks, with a "flag," half-orange wheel and cherry. Garnish not necessary, but looks cool.

If not using egg just shake w ice and strain (appropriately) into glass of choice.

Get a few different bitters and try those for a twist. I find peach bitters (Fee Bros) goes great with whiskey cocktails.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
can't go wrong with an old fashioned or a manhattan. so easy.
Manhattans FTW!
But has to be with good Vermouth and Bitters.
Dolin Vermouth De Chambery "Rouge"
Angostura orange bitters
And if you are going to add maraschino cherries they have to be Luxardo. No exceptions. :shameonyou:
I don't even bother with the cherry anymore. I like it better without them.