Anyone into Single Malt Scotch Whisky?

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Mineral water = spring water

Different names for the same thing
Mineral water contains dissolved minerals, while spring water contains natural components derived from the spring the water was sourced from. Depending on the source, these minerals affect taste and quality.

Regardless I'll probably just buy a nice bottle and it shouldn't affect the taste... much.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Mineral water contains dissolved minerals, while spring water contains natural components derived from the spring the water was sourced from. Depending on the source, these minerals affect taste and quality.

Regardless I'll probably just buy a nice bottle and it shouldn't affect the taste... much.
For practical purposes it’s the same. “Agua Mineral” seems to be the Spanish and Portuguese word for most bottled water, whether it’s from a spring or not. We don’t really have anything labeled mineral water on the shelves anymore.

Reactions: brukuns

PJ

Gerry Lopez status
Jan 27, 2002
Shrub Oak,N.Y.,USA
Good start...You'll be drinking Ardbeg in no time...follow Ralfy on youtube...
Ardbeg and the other Islays - certainly unique - I usually have a bottle of one around. I like to think of how that's the flavor of their island, the peat, the bogs, and that generations of them have enjoyed it. Worth getting used to.

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
For those of us with a taste of peat, my son orders peat (Irish or Scot) from Amazon and smokes salmon, turkey, etc.

We stopped at a distillery that happened to be on our way around the country. Clineloch has a real mild whisky, I’m unsure if their bottles are available in the States. One of the distillery staff told us their primary customer was Johnny Walker who uses their whisky in one of their blends.

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Got the Talisker to ease into that peat flavor. it's amazing. I'll get there. Already following Ralphy and a few others. I never thought I would be watching videos of people drinking stuff :ROFLMAO: .

What other bourbon would you recommend? My brother in law is all about Single Malt scotch, but I have no gripes with trying different things. I heard good bourbon is considerably cheaper than good Single Malt Scotch and looking into the prices for the Bulliet it sure seems to be the case! I just have no idea (yet) what makes a bourbon tick.
Try makers mark first see if you like "average bourbon" then if so try 46 another favorite.

Reactions: grapedrink

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
Makers Mark seems interesting... however after watching some video reviews I''m inclined towards Buffalo Trace... price is very similar.
I think many people comes down to personal taste because pretty know fact almost all "big companies" distill in same place same process:cheers:I am not sure if brazzo has like trader joes or even costco brand help smaller companies with sales and put name on bottle. If so some times pretty tasty and better then most or some big brands look for so and so kentucky bourbon:shaka:

May 31, 2011
Highland Park 12 and Oban 12 are both very good highland malts for the price. Good call on Glendronach, if you're willing to spend more Aberlour A'bunadh is another great one. If you like peat, Laphroig 10 is probably the best value in all of scotch and if you really like peat (plus sherry) Arbeg Uigeadail is probably the best (reasonably priced) scotch in that category.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Highland Park 12 and Oban 12 are both very good highland malts for the price. Good call on Glendronach, if you're willing to spend more Aberlour A'bunadh is another great one. If you like peat, Laphroig 10 is probably the best value in all of scotch and if you really like peat (plus sherry) Arbeg Uigeadail is probably the best (reasonably priced) scotch in that category.
Highland Park 12 is on my list of future purchases... the A'bunadh too, definitely, but a bit pricey! There's a non chill filtered Aberlour 12 around which I'm thinking about getting but wondering if albeit very good it might not be to my taste.

I'll try to enjoy my Tallisker a bit more before moving to more peated whiskies... That Arbeg you mentioned seems interesting but on the expensive side here in Brazil... the laphroaig is going for less than half the price of the Uigeadail (also at 54% ABV it might be a bit too much for my beginner palate).

Thanks for the tips, I never thought I would enjoy this so much. Thinking about robbing a bank for the extra cash.

brukuns

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
hmmm... looks like OBAN is hard to find here in Brazil so it's crazy expensive.

I'm very curious to try a Glenallachie. I'm particularly intrigued by their 11 year Moscatel version. But I'll give it a few months before trying anything over 60 dollars (just for your reference... it's way over 60 dollars purchased in Brazil... land of fucking taxes)

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I don't drink a lot of whisk(e)y any more but I really liked The Dalmore and Bruichladdich when I did. Bunnahabin and Springbank are also really interesting Scotches. A little pricier though

I drink mostly brandy and amaro now when I drink spirits, which is rare. I do however find that a little Cognac specifically, like just under an ounce, helps me sleep.

I'm very curious to try a Glenallachie. I'm particularly intrigued by their 11 year Moscatel version. But I'll give it a few months before trying anything over 60 dollars (just for your reference... it's way over 60 dollars purchased in Brazil... land of fucking taxes)
IIRC, Glenallachie was basically what went into Chivas for many many years. Went independent in 2017 or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Makoman and brukuns