Anyone interested in going out to Killers/T.S. this winter?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Pretty tempted to go and watch from the channel and maybe put a pole in the water. I remember this Polynesian marine safety officer telling me I should calibrate my nervous system by putting on fins, sitting in the impact zone, and diving under the waves at Killers as they came in. I hadn't done anything obvious to **** him off so he seemed to be serious like he thought this was a good idea.
If you can’t handle a worst case scenario you shouldn’t be out there?

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
I remember @oneworlded posted this a while back
Enjoy your trip!
I hate being that guy. If it's TOH or bigger expect that to happen. Will still hand you a beating when smaller but it is a great wave and a fun adventure. Surf the left on the other side if it's breaking. It's really beautiful out there on a Santa Ana day. The ride back can be sketchy if the wind picks up. Haven't been out there in 15+ years... but I assume it's still the same.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Casa. What boards are your taking and what's your training regimen?
I'm not interested in surfing massive waves. More like the small end of the scale out there.. I have no idea or clue to anything out there so I'd be taking a 7'6 mini gun first time around. Also interested in the other waves in the vicinity.

No training except lots of surfing, marathon sessions, running and hiking 4x/week (walk about 8 miles/day on my 3/day/week work days no time to exercise those days) so I'm in decent shape.

At least, better shape, and better surfing shape, than some of the people I've encountered who have been out there when it's 20ft+ wearing lifejackets/"safety vests."

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I hate being that guy. If it's TOH or bigger expect that to happen. Will still hand you a beating when smaller but it is a great wave and a fun adventure. Surf the left on the other side if it's breaking. It's really beautiful out there on a Santa Ana day. The ride back can be sketchy if the wind picks up. Haven't been out there in 15+ years... but I assume it's still the same.
What's going on in the video that put him in that situation? He looks way inside and way behind the peak. I'm also guessing this is one of those waves where you don't get much warning on the sets.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
What's going on in the video that put him in that situation? He looks way inside and way behind the peak. I'm also guessing this is one of those waves where you don't get much warning on the sets.
You can sit deep and inside there on smaller days and pick off barrels that run off the top of the point. The only issue is that, well, the bigger sets swing wide.

It's surfable smaller than you think and can be a really fun wave at DOH-TOH.

EntropyFletch

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 20, 2006
San Diego
I'm interested. I've been twice and scored both times. First time was DOH+ and second time was DOH-TOH. I rode an 8'9" both times. Second sesh most guys were on 9'6" baords due to the 25 knot offshore winds...First sech my buddies (who both charge and surf Mavs) were underwhelmed by the DOH sets and sat deep and inside and got tubed all day on the smaller waves, while taking the sets on the head...

npsp

Miki Dora status
Dec 30, 2003
down the hill and to the right
Visit site
He missed the insider that he was paddling for and had to take a lot of much bigger waves on the head. Very easy to get lured into the inside to catch the long mid-sized runners and then pay the price.
In my younger days, I was that guy in the video a couple of times. I'm sure he was seeing everything with a nice pink tint for a few minutes after that experience.

• Wow
Reactions: PRCD and Mr Doof