Anyone get sick from surfing after the recent rain?

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
I knew the gamble, but it was so good last Thursday and Friday afternoons I paddled out for multiple sessions in Redondo. I figured Topaz was a "safer" being on the other side of the jetty from the storm drain at Ruby which is supposedly fed from a smaller local drain system and the nearest bigger drain is at Ave F, is about seven blocks away. I surfed twice on Saturday as well. I woke up this morning with my stomach in knots, took a somewhat normal dump which morphed into peeing out my ass. Three more bouts of that, with taking Imodium AD afterwards (I'm now at the 24 hour max for the medication). I feel ok otherwise, except for the pre-event cramping that let's me know it's game time.

Of course COVID has to be a potential culprit. I did a rapid antigen test this am which was negative. I went back to get a PCR test to ease my wife and daughter's concerns, paid the additional $75 to get the results within 24 hours, so we'll see, but it seems like the runoff is to blame (it did look pretty filthy in the water and on the beach) as I had this happen when I was in my teens surfing 12th Street in Hermosa after a rain.

Anyone else feeling "sh*tty"?

ZZ Soft Top

Nep status
Sep 22, 2013
Manta Sonica
No/not yet... I hope. Surfed Friday afternoon in the South Bay and Saturday and Sunday north of there somewhere in L.A. County and I feel fine. Just the usual clogged sinuses.

Reactions: ChaseTMP