Anyone foil their own fins? Foiling my fin question.

Mar 15, 2022
I ride a 7 foot Christenson Ultra Tracker and a 7.5" Skip Frye Flex. I love this board and fin setup but I want to tighten up the turning radius a tad (cutbacks, bottom turns, bottom turns). I get enough drive with this fin, tried other fins that accomplish what I'm trying to achieve with this fin but at the sacrifice of everything else great about this fin. If you have experience foiling fins, where would you take a grinder to this, and I am talking about tiny intervallic adjustments at a time, testing the board, and repeating until I (hopefully) achieve the desired result).

The fin (mine is 7.5 inches)
Skip_Frye_8.5.jpg

The Board (not mine)
IMG_0396_2112x2112.jpg

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I ride a 7 foot Christenson Ultra Tracker and a 7.5" Skip Frye Flex. I love this board and fin setup but I want to tighten up the turning radius a tad (cutbacks, bottom turns, bottom turns). I get enough drive with this fin, tried other fins that accomplish what I'm trying to achieve with this fin but at the sacrifice of everything else great about this fin. If you have experience foiling fins, where would you take a grinder to this, and I am talking about tiny intervallic adjustments at a time, testing the board, and repeating until I (hopefully) achieve the desired result).

View attachment 126281

The Board (not mine)
View attachment 126282
Show....

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Takes the pics of the other fins you have and with some of them on top of the Skip so that your audience can see the direct differences in the fins. I owned a flat tracker 2 8'er for a brief time and didn't like it's sluggish response so sold it.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2022
Takes the pics of the other fins you have and with some of them on top of the Skip so that your audience can see the direct differences in the fins. I owned a flat tracker 2 8'er for a brief time and didn't like it's sluggish response so sold it.
I rode the Flat Tracker for a while before upgrading to Ultra Tracker which fixes the sluggishness vury well. The board itself is designed to have a better turning radius with less foam and weight up front and also a tighter foil so it works great especially at pointbreaks. Highly recommend the Ultra. I will look for pictures of the other fins and post them up thanks.

Clamsmasher

Michael Peterson status
Apr 22, 2013
Nar
I’d probably keep the same planshape if you generally like it, but thin it out from 1/2 way or 2/3 the way up. Try to introduce some flex, so it tightens up the turn when you push it.

Where would you put a tail pad on that boar?

Last edited:

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
ive heard u can move a fin forward too
Actually forward makes board looser and op wanted tighter turns so back by 1/4" increments would be my guess for actually helping :shrug:I perspnally always put mine 3/4 fin box back:shaka:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com

View attachment 126281

The Board (not mine)
View attachment 126282
You should have your ding repair guy make it a twin fin

Mar 15, 2022
I’d probably keep the same planshape if you generally like it, but thin it out from 1/2 way or 2/3 the way up. Try to introduce some flex, so it tightens up the turn when you push it.

Where would you put a tail pad on that boar?
Thank you, that worked vury well the 2nd time. I thinned it out a tiny amount as you noted noted above and gave it a go. I could almost immediately feel there was something happening at the slightest. Went home and put it in the vice and gave it about the same treatment and voila, next session was as close to what I was aiming for. I'm not going to mess with it any further to avoid loosing drive and causing drift.