Anyone ever have a porch/exterior light dispute with a neighbor? (Warning: Contains CasaMugs problem)

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
In one the the places I rented, I once tacked up a bunch of egg-crate foam rubber (in 3' by 6' sheets) on the wall I shared with a loud neighbor to mitigate the noise. Looked a little like this:
View attachment 104937
That mitigates YOUR noise. Does it mitigate the noise coming in? I wonder because once we looked at a nice house but it was on a busy street and I was worried about the noise, so we walked. If you could effectively sound proof I would have considered it.

Last edited:

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
On the flip side, I've definitely been that neighbor that you don't want to live next to. There were many loud and late nights back in the day. Present day me would've killed 20 something me if we were neighbors.
Same at age 20.

I feel every time I have to deal with a noise issue it's karma.

That said, somebody has to make them learn.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yes. Property was bought 1.5 years ago and is on a double lot. Looks like she is converting the detached garage into a rental and splitting off the house lot for a sale. Nobody is living there at the moment. Which explains why she doesn’t give a crap about crapping on her neighbors, because we aren’t really her neighbors.
She can get fvcked

• Love
Reactions: grapedrink

surfapotomus

OTF status
Jan 21, 2014
on a leash
Same at age 20.

I feel every time I have to deal with a noise issue it's karma.

That said, somebody has to make them learn.
Truth

I somehow managed to avoid any noise complaints for a long time until one day a woman came over and absolutely lost her sh!t one day. I felt bad for her. Up until then my dumbass just figured that I wasn't disturbing anyone. I was nearing the end of my raging party days anyways. We had one more run-in before Club Surfapotomus was shut down for good.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
In escrow, too late for that kinda fun :foreheadslap: Banking on the new owners being decent people, but it will be tricky approaching them about this while they are moving in and getting settled.

Meh.

While holding a nominal gift (6 pack, cheap wine, local snack), introduce yourself and casually mention that you have a quick question to run by them about their light.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Meh.

While holding a nominal gift (6 pack, cheap wine, local snack), introduce yourself and casually mention that you have a quick question to run by them about their light.
Yeah, cause that's not creepy. Nah, not at all.
I say take that route, see how it turns out!

:shameonyou::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
They serve triple duty in SF.

1 Really keep the light out from Austin, TX, neighbors who think the lights will keep out the racoon/opossum/skunk/cat raids at night, and former San Diego renters on the other side who worked construction by day and smoked on the back porch at night.

2 In combination with the double pane windows, really keeps down the noise from street sounds.

3 Prevents the peepers from seeing too much of the good stuff.
I can give you a less expensive alternative: a mask over your eyes. For decades, I woke with the sun. My home has shutters, which block considerable light, but still. I wake up to wizz at 5 or so, put on my mask , and can sleep until 10.

Reactions: afoaf and Havoc

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Just put the mask on,

:dancing: the missus,

Keep the black out curtains wide open!

If I can't see them, they can't see me, right?

Ninja code yo!

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::monkey:

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
Yes pretty close, although I hadn't heard about it until now.

For the record, I was joking about rice doxxing, although it may have been ifallalot in that link :drowning:
yeah I saw a headline about it, thought it was funny coming from MB. That stuff only happens in Santa Maria or Lompton.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
yeah I saw a headline about it, thought it was funny coming from MB. That stuff only happens in Santa Maria or Lompton.
Generally yes. I personally know one person who was killed and another stabbed (survived) in Santa Maria, plus at least one more who was murdered more through 1 degree of separation. The city averages a murder almost every week.
Nothing good happens after dark there :drowning: