Anyone Else Watching Cobra Kai?

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Watched seasons 1 and 2 on You Tube. Season 3 just dropped, about halfway through. Fookin. Epic. Show. :jamon:

Lots of original actors, most notably Daniel San, but arguably more importantly the villains who pepper in throughout the course of show, also with original actor. Intentional throwback to cheesy 80sness that honors and mocks it simultaneously while bringing it into the context and issues of today.

I normally roll my eyes at throwbacks of classic shows and movies that are an artifact of a lack of origin and often fail to do justice to the originals, but this show honors the original and takes it next level.

Now I fully expect to get tons of crap, especially from the same types of sarfers who talk gangs of sh!t about Point Break yet can somehow recite all of the lines :unsure: Bring it, bitches :ban:

• Haha
Reactions: Belchfire1

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
I worked on the campaign for season 1 and 2 when it first came out on youtube red or whatever theyre calling it now. The nostalgia wore off pretty quick and i couldnt get over how bad the kids are at acting.
I hear you. I agree that the teen acting is the weakest link. Although from a plot line perspective, I like how they are bringing in issues that we all dealt with growing up (bullying, etc) with the crap from today, mainly social media,. Also, how the plot crosses over the teenage kids of the main characters and weaves it all in.

Reactions: CutnSnip

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
i think i made it through one episode. barely.

i wanted to like it but it just seemed, how do I put this, terrible?

maybe i just wasn't in the mood.

Reactions: GWS_2

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
i think i made it through one episode. barely.

i wanted to like it but it just seemed, how do I put this, terrible?

maybe i just wasn't in the mood.
You have to be in the same mindset that you would if you were to watch the original karate kid movies, again.

May 10, 2018
Finished Season 3 the other night. It's a fun watch. Season 1 was verry good, 2 not so good and 3 very good

Reactions: grapedrink

johnson7

Nep status
Sep 29, 2016
It took a while, but season 3 has me hooked. I guess I just love how cheesy it is, but I grew up in 80's too. Oh, not to derail this thread, But I'm hooked on "Mind Hunters" too.

Reactions: grapedrink

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
I've been watching "In Search of Bigfoot" and Les Stroud's Survivorman Bigfoot series.

Personally I think something is out there. I've spent time in a few of those places on those shows.

A trip planned this ealy summer up to Jarbidge, NV. The most remotest town in the lower 48 states. As an example. The closest town/grocery stores are in Twin Falls Idaho. A 4 1/2 hour drive. One way.

Jarbidge is the American bastardized name of Tsawhawbitts. The original Shoshonee tribal name.

It literally means "The home of the Cannibal Giants". The Shoshonee tribe has avoided this area for 100's of years. Tabuu...

Just farther south. Lovelock NV. The Lovelock caves... Some kind of protohumans lived there for centuries.
They are described as cannibals. It's an archeological site. The Humbolt sink is right there. Where the Humbolt river spreads out into a huge marsh/wetland.

They have found ancient reed sandals in this cave. For somebody that had a 16" long foot.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
What I really dig is that it's a human story. It's not often that you get to see the backstory and upbringing of every character, especially the villains. You see how their challenges and insecurities as adolecents shape who they are as adults, for better and worse, and how they still carry those insecurities with them.

Being surprised with the old characters, often with the same characters, is the icing on the cake :beer: That and the constant Double Dragon soundtrack with every fight scene

Reactions: Leaverite and noise

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
I've been watching "In Search of Bigfoot" and Les Stroud's Survivorman Bigfoot series.

Personally I think something is out there. I've spent time in a few of those places on those shows.

A trip planned this ealy summer up to Jarbidge, NV. The most remotest town in the lower 48 states. As an example. The closest town/grocery stores are in Twin Falls Idaho. A 4 1/2 hour drive. One way.

Jarbidge is the American bastardized name of Tsawhawbitts. The original Shoshonee tribal name.

It literally means "The home of the Cannibal Giants". The Shoshonee tribe has avoided this area for 100's of years. Tabuu...

Just farther south. Lovelock NV. The Lovelock caves... Some kind of protohumans lived there for centuries.
They are described as cannibals. It's an archeological site. The Humbolt sink is right there. Where the Humbolt river spreads out into a huge marsh/wetland.

They have found ancient reed sandals in this cave. For somebody that had a 16" long foot.
the history of the Basques in the region is super interesting...