Anyone else remember "The Surf Report"

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
I am going through and throwing out a bunch of old stuff (house in Colorado finally sold) and found my old binder of The Surf Report - for all you youngsters out there - this was how we traveled back in day. Crazy to think how many times in the late 80's and early 90's I set out with my surf reports, a backpack, basic camping gear and one surfboard. IMG_0888.jpegIMG_0889.jpegIMG_0890.jpegIMG_0891.jpeg

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I am going through and throwing out a bunch of old stuff (house in Colorado finally sold) and found my old binder of The Surf Report - for all you youngsters out there - this was how we traveled back in day. Crazy to think how many times in the late 80's and early 90's I set out with my surf reports, a backpack, basic camping gear and one surfboard. View attachment 137228View attachment 137229View attachment 137230View attachment 137231
Helped me navigate France, Portugal and Marocco back in the early 80's.

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
I am going through and throwing out a bunch of old stuff (house in Colorado finally sold) and found my old binder of The Surf Report - for all you youngsters out there - this was how we traveled back in day. Crazy to think how many times in the late 80's and early 90's I set out with my surf reports, a backpack, basic camping gear and one surfboard. View attachment 137228View attachment 137229View attachment 137230View attachment 137231
That larmo with bob is so epic :jamon:I bet it has some stories

Reactions: Boneroni

b.r.

Phil Edwards status
Dec 19, 2003
Leucadia
www.youtube.com
Holy crap that brings back memories! Will add a story to this tomorrow if I can. Just started the bbq and my old roommates from 30 years ago are coming over.

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Ha! I was editor from around 96-99. Also wrote NC, SC, GA, Jamaica. The Jamaica one is what got me the job at Surfer as online editor. Steve Hawk decided to include it as an insert in the mag - and that was my big break. Mad props to Hawk and previous Surf Report editor Donna Oakley for setting me on my path. Those things were a ton of work. Once the Internet started blowing up it became pretty evident that the SR’s days were numbered. It had a solid run tho.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
One time editor Russ Kalish used to take my friend John, and I surfing before we could drive. Sometimes we'd go for Lowers sneak ins before President Nixon, and the temporary La Costa sewage pipe pier.

Anyone remember the temporary S A River Jetty pier?

Reactions: oneworlded

Mr Pecker

OTF status
Nov 6, 2021

Wow, cool. Yes I remember. Went all through West Java and Sumatra on those reports and various rumors way back in '97. Back then those were gold. Even back then they gave you just enough to run on. west java back then was wild west!!!

INDTUBE

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 6, 2019
That larmo with bob is so epic :jamon:I bet it has some stories
Yeah the Larmo was a buddy of mine that OD back in 2007 (one of the early victims of the fentanyl criss - he thought he was getting Crack and it ended up being fentanyl laced and it killed him) - He was 6'4" 250 and surfed the sh!t out that board - The one in the pics below is from our last trip together, it was also a Larmo same size. The board is Larry's take on Skip's Eagle (rails are much different than the Frye's). To be honest I have tried over the years to ride this board and like the Skip Frye's I have of his - I look like a total kook. To this day I have no idea how he rode this thing in step challenging waves - the board has no rocker and everytime I ride it in anything over 3 feet - I bury the nose. This board is from back in day when you had a relationship with everyone that touched the construction of your board - you had to go Mitches order the blank - pick up the blank and take to Larry - get it shaped and then take to the glasser - every board my buddy had glassed he would put something under the glass to make it unique.

IMG_8466.jpegIMG_8467.jpegIMG_8469.jpeg

SeaFoamGreen

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 10, 2009
NorOR
Oh yeah still have my binder and they still provide some value from time to time. I used to love reading the Sea Watch section as well as the Weather Tips. Learned a bit about weather patterns, forecasting, and how to translate local marine and weather data to surf forecasting which was key for me. At the time there was no surf forecasts or reports for the zones I surfed and they still aren't great for my area.

Reactions: INDTUBE

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
we used the hell out of those in europe. found spots that were empty. took no pics, left only footprints. some amazing times!

Reactions: tenover

Eimeo

OTF status
Oct 18, 2005
Encinitas
Oh man, when I worked at the Surfer I used to go in the storage room at lunch and just randomly grab one of these and dream about all the cool places. I kept saying one day I would grab one of each to fill the binder, never got around to it. Wonder what happened to all of those boxes of all the reports and every issue of Surfer ever printed when they finally shut down?