Anyone else own snakes?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
My redtail is perched in an odd position around my knee.

My ball python is trying to escape his cage and hasn't been hungry since October.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Had several as a kid and kind of got over it. I had some finicky eaters and it got to be a pain in the ass. When I moved home from college and lived at home for a bit, my ball python got loose and was somewhere in the house for 4 months until we eventually found it. My Mom wasn't too happy.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
My ball python is trying to escape his cage and hasn't been hungry since October.
ball pythons do go through long periods of not eating,
Does he look emaciated?

do you know if its wild caught or bred?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I had this guy for a pet

for the time it took from when I saw it until a large rock fell out of my hand and landed on his head.

Not on my snake chart but I was told he was venomous. Anyone know?

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
santacruzin said:
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto said:
ball pythons do go through long periods of not eating,
Does he look emaciated?

do you know if its wild caught or bred?
Pretty sure he's CB. He goes on hunger strikes every winter, October to March or so like clockwork. Looks perfectly healthy.

Both the ball and RTB are rescues. RTB had a nasty mite problem when I first got her and was cranky as all hell; now she's sweet but head shy.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
shackwell said:
Reptile people seem weird to me. Bird people too.
I'm in a nonprofit with a lot of other reptile people. Not going to lie, most reptile people are weird as fuck. Some of us just like snakes.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
When I was 9 I had a veritable zoo.

1 - garter snake
1 - gopher snake (I caught)
1 - california king snake (I caught)
1 - red-tailed boa
1 - ring-necked snake (I caught)
2 - shovel nosed snakes
2 - spotted leaf nosed snakes
2 - glossy snakes
1 - chuckwalla lizard
1 - desert iguana
2 - horned toads (I caught)
2 - cayman
2 - tarantulas (I caught)
2 - desert tortoise
1 - box turtle
2 - rhode island red chickens (I hatched)
2 - bantam chickens (I hatched)
1 - rabbit

Raised mice to get the "pinkies" for the snakes that couldn't eat a full grown mouse.

Needless to say my Mom was not thrilled but hey, there was no internet or gameboyz back then so you had to do something to keep amused. :smile2:

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
CharmingSophisticate said:
I take it none of you reptiliophiles had snake fights when you were kids? King Snakes were the toughest.
And the meanest. My King Snake was the only one that wouldn't let you pick it up without striking wildly.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
I'll check it out in my "Living Snakes of the World" (in color) by John M. Mehrtens. Looks
like a garter snake to me. I kept anoles for many years and had them hatching from eggs
for a while.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006

ElOgro said:
I had this guy for a pet

for the time it took from when I saw it until a large rock fell out of my hand and landed on his head.

Not on my snake chart but I was told he was venomous. Anyone know?
I meant this one. If you're ever in Berkeley, check out the East Bay Vivarium. Quite a selection.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
elpescador said:
I'll check it out in my "Living Snakes of the World" (in color) by John M. Mehrtens. Looks
like a garter snake to me.
I kept anoles for many years and had them hatching from eggs
for a while.
I thought the same thing but I scoured the internet today and couldn't find any snake that looked even remotely similar to the one Ogro posted.

It's definitely not a Mexican Garter and that was my first thought.

Would love to know what it is if you can find it in your Snakes of the World book.

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Not in my book, but based on the pattern I'd say some type of garter. There can be local variations.

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
elpescador said:
Not in my book, but based on the pattern I'd say some type of garter. There can be local variations.
The solid black stripe from the nose down the ridge of the back along with the color and scale texture of the skin doesn't even come close to being a variation of a Garter.

All Garters have a light colored stripe down the middle of the back that starts right behind the head and separates the wider dark skin down the length of the body.

This is not a snake I have ever seen before. Even the head is not Garter like.

I'd love to know what it is. Not a Garter.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mexican+garter+snake&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwigqfesl_rQAhWK0FQKHUZrC4sQ_AUICCgB&biw=1600&bih=759

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
keenfish said:
elpescador said:
like a garter snake to me.
I kept anoles for many years and had them hatching from eggs
for a while.
I thought the same thing but I scoured the internet today and couldn't find any snake that looked even remotely similar to the one Ogro posted.

It's definitely not a Mexican Garter and that was my first thought.

Would love to know what it is if you can find it in your Snakes of the World book.
We have garters, striped like that but brown. I was told that this guy was young, that the stripes become less distinctive when they're older. There's a big one I think may be the granddaddy of the one in the picture that travels between the pond behind my wife's house and the beach. Close to 2 meters and as big around as Chuck Norris's bicept. Very fast.