Anyone Else Have a Crazy Gold Digger Sister In Law?

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Not quite but I'm watching a friend careen toward a marriage that everyone (but him) can see is going to end badly. With a fiancé that hardly works, doesn't drive, needs to be driven everywhere, doesn't cook clean or help around the house, isn't sure she wants kids and if she does wants to send them to boarding school etc etc etc. Watching my friend go broke while working a stressful job and take care of his deadbeat fiance is really difficult.

Even worse he also has a dog that is ruining his life, he tried to foster a problem dog and they made it clear to him that he's the dog's last chance, if he returns it they'll kill the dog. So he's got a fiancé that is nothing but dead weight PLUS a dog that he literally can't leave alone because it will destroy his house AND the dog cockblocks him (will only sleep on the bed in between him and the fiance).

I'm trying to convince him to just turn his back on his apartment and walk way from everything in it (including fiance and dog) but so far no luck.

How's that compare to your brother?

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Havoc in all seriousness there are only two ways to deal with a gold digger.

draw sh!t out like a contract or leave them.
they view relationships as transactional so treat it like that, pre nups, allowances and expectations.
I had one and I made her think I lost everything and was able to easily end it :roflmao:

good fucking luck to your brother

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Dear old mom divorced dear old dad.

Dear old dad eventually remarried a woman 20 yrs younger.

Dear old dad's new wife had gotten through life on looks, charm, certain amount of people skills, and all were going quick.

Dear old dad's new wife gets will rewritten, not once, but twice. (To be fair, dear old dad loves legalities and being endlessly nitpicky about details; it wouldn't take more than a breath of wind for him to want to tweak a will (changed it 3 times before his 2nd marriage.)

Oldest mean sister sees new will, finds the expected share of the family fortune is now reduced, now dislikes dear old dad 's new 20 yr younger wife even less. Rest of us expected next to nothing besides some old books and dear old dad's peculiar taste of "art" (think bronze welded constructs), so what the hell, if he's happy, we're happy.

14 years after 2nd marriage, dear old dad loses 2nd wife. The will gets rewritten. Now the siblings get whatever pension payout there is upon death and whatever is left in the retirement fund whenever dear old dad joins the celestial choir.

Was she a gold digger? If you think getting almost top shelf booze, brand name smokes, and extra pocket money for buying additional frog related tchotches (spelling?) at junk sales (oh good lord, I look forward to putting those things on a fence and getting the .22 out) and getting on the pension is being a gold digger, well, maybe a "copper" digger is more accurate. I did appreciate her ribald sense of humor though.

PS

Only "real" gold digger I ever met married a friend (daughter of a founder of a onetime famous semiconductor fab company), but at least he is modestly charming, smart enough to play the subservient long game and not upset the applecart , and only has art shows once every few years. To be fair, he does go on charity works with her in C. America and helps dig ditches and whatnot. The reason some of us think of him that way is that after a drink or two, the veneer of charm slips from the unctuous foundation, he starts talking about money, and as far as we can tell, may have only ever worked in a cafe in his 20s.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Not quite but I'm watching a friend careen toward a marriage that everyone (but him) can see is going to end badly. With a fiancé that hardly works, doesn't drive, needs to be driven everywhere, doesn't cook clean or help around the house, isn't sure she wants kids and if she does wants to send them to boarding school etc etc etc. Watching my friend go broke while working a stressful job and take care of his deadbeat fiance is really difficult.

Even worse he also has a dog that is ruining his life, he tried to foster a problem dog and they made it clear to him that he's the dog's last chance, if he returns it they'll kill the dog. So he's got a fiancé that is nothing but dead weight PLUS a dog that he literally can't leave alone because it will destroy his house AND the dog cockblocks him (will only sleep on the bed in between him and the fiance).

I'm trying to convince him to just turn his back on his apartment and walk way from everything in it (including fiance and dog) but so far no luck.

How's that compare to your brother?
Yikes. What’s her reason for not working? :unsure:

grundy

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 16, 2005
Yikes. What’s her reason for not working? :unsure:
She work. I mean, "works". She has a job (which she likes to be driven to and picked up from); she doesn't work many hours or make much money. Seems like her "job" is a good reason not to get a job.

My friend is incapable of actually saying what he wants, or needs, to say and is going to pay a heavy price for that inability.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Probably a slanted view with my spending so much time in SLO, but It's sad how many women see attaching themselves to some dude for the money as their life plan. I see it all around here, especially working in a nice restaurant. 20+ years older than her, looking like hell, but she thinks that AMEX sexy.
How has witchipoo not popped up in this thread with "I can't believe you jerks! Men date women for the wrong reasons too!" yet? :LOL:
Good to know that if I invest wisely i can keep buying 27 year old company until I'm in my twilight years.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach

guesses :

potential phantom injury? Back problems? Or some anxiety issue?
“Can’t adult”

when I was single I made a point of not getting serious with any chick who was open early on about any medical “issues” that seemed to be of the nebulous, hard to diagnose variety.

One chick (who was super hot, so it would’ve been worth a few more dates) said she had serious auto immune issues for a few years from pesticides in foods, and could “taste” when foods were genetically modified :roflmao: Another who said she had cognitive issues from mercury in her gold fillings, who last I checked years after is now a Lyme disease survivor.

I try my best to have sympathy and give people the benefit of the doubt, but I ain’t gonna invite that kinda crazy into my life :drowning:

brukuns

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2014
Sao Paulo/Brazil
Having to worry about gold diggers was always a little dream of mine. Maybe after I purchase my first car ever eventually. (you can't really drive around on the apartment that you own unfortunately).

But seriously, I have this friend who's come from a very rich family and a really sexist father. The paranoia definitely ruined so many of his relationships, some first world problems are real.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Gold digger paranoia is real.

I got lectured by family over hunny bunny meanwhile my sister is literally setting baby traps and telling her duuu what he can or cannot do if he wants said baby in his life.

im like, who is the nefarious one here.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
A couple of great mysteries of life:
Why some well-off guys who could for sure do better knowingly marry goolddiggers.
Why nice girls who otherwise have their sh!t together knowingly marry bad boys.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
A couple of great mysteries of life:
Why some well-off guys who could for sure do better knowingly marry goolddiggers.
Why nice girls who otherwise have their sh!t together knowingly marry bad boys.
I don't think #2 is much of a mystery and can be explained by evolution. The bad boys 100,000 years ago were the risk takers who were good at killing animals and invaders, and were able to rally the troops for a cause. Those behaviors were important for survival and were rewarded accordingly, so those tendencies are hard wired into us.

I don't really have an explanation for the first one though :unsure:

Reactions: Havoc