Anyone been to Krui ? (Sumatra)

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I have been given the green light for a Surf trip next year, and I’m weighing up my options. I’m tossing up between a ‘traditional’ Mentawai trip, starting from Telos and working our way to Northern Mentawais, a boat trip from Bali to Sumbawa / Lombok region, or a land camp in Sumatra in the Krui island.

I have been to both Lombok and a Ments boat trip, but know little about Krui, apart from a couple of web edits from Secretsumatra. Has anyone here been there and have some experiences to share?

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
South Sumatra is epic. The Krui reefs get busy if there's a really big swell as they never get really big (just thicker). Other spots up and down the coast can handle big swells, but they're f-ing scary at size. June, July and August are the busiest months, but I was there in July and even had a few solo sessions.

Reactions: waxfoot

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
South Sumatra is epic. The Krui reefs get busy if there's a really big swell as they never get really big (just thicker). Other spots up and down the coast can handle big swells, but they're f-ing scary at size. June, July and August are the busiest months, but I was there in July and even had a few solo sessions.
Thanks mate. Looks like we're definitely skipping the boat this time around (just costs too much money), and it's between Sumbawa or South Sumatra now. Your feedback's been very helpful!