Anyone been to Cardon surf resort Mex

dk1973

OTF status
Jun 11, 2011
Looks like a great set up with 2 left point breaks right out back. Found some drama online about the owner being a real dick to other surfers not staying at his resort that come and surf the points. Any info is appreciated---

Reactions: parkiteric

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I go 1x a yr for a while now. Don’t worry about the drama. Non issue. Really 1 pt. Another decent wave a bit south. The point is a softish left. I go to take my kid. She goofy so works well. We’ve got a group of dads and teens. Epic, epic food. Easy trip. Well run outfit. nice rooms.

I propably wouldn’t go without the kid just due to the soft factor. Not the mainland mex waves I’d normall fly too. But-hall pass from wife because it’s a kid trip. Not dad solo trip. i take it. When good u get 500 yard plus rides. much better front side wave than backside IMO.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I asked about going up there in Mazatlan in early August. I got a different answer from basically everyone I asked.

Most people seemed to think you need to go with Cardon or Sinaloa Surf Adventures. Some seemed to say that Cardon can surf one wave, but not another, and Sinaloa Surf Adventures can surf the other wave, but not Cardon's wave. The taxi driver I asked was adamant that anyone can surf anywhere.

In years past I heard it was a real problem to try to surf there just showing up.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I asked about going up there in Mazatlan in early August. I got a different answer from basically everyone I asked.

Most people seemed to think you need to go with Cardon or Sinaloa Surf Adventures. Some seemed to say that Cardon can surf one wave, but not another, and Sinaloa Surf Adventures can surf the other wave, but not Cardon's wave. The taxi driver I asked was adamant that anyone can surf anywhere.

In years past I heard it was a real problem to try to surf there just showing up.
This was pretty much what we heard when visiting the SSA camp many years back. No clue about the current situation.
The wave that SSA apparently had on lock had the potential to be insane, and showed a few glimpses of it on 2 days, but
the sand flow from a nearby rivermouth hadn't formed up. I've spoken to multiple people who have done Cardon
and loved it. I'd take my whole fam there if everyone surfed...looks super nice. Or a hubby/wife trip could be epic there.

Last edited:

Matilija

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 27, 2010
I may have posted about this in the past, but I flew into Mazatlan on the same flight with the people heading to both SSA and Cardon resorts. Rented a car and stayed in a small village outside of both areas. When i asked, the lady i was renting a room from told me explicitly not to try to surf the wave in front of SSA as it was essentially cartel connected, she was very concerned i was considering it. I drove up to Cardon and paid the cuiador 100p to park and chill for the day under a palapa at the resort on the point above Cardon. I asked him about the hassles there but he told me the guy was just a loud mouth and not to worry. The waves were pumping and I paddled out and the crew out surfing were startled to see someone not staying there but were totally cool. Kept expecting someone to start barking at me from the beach but it never happened. The Cardon crew must have went in for lunch and i had it solo for an hour before i was spent. This was about 6 or 8 years a ago.