Anybody ever rent a car from Turo?

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What happened?
I'm not going to go into it until things are resolved.

Typically it's my go-to if I need a specific sort of vehicle for a trip i.e. high clearance etc.

Regardless - would advise against ever using them. Trust me on this one. Way more trouble than it's worth if things go wrong.

Remember, you are dealing with an individual person when you rent from Turo - not someone bound by the rules of the company they work for. This can be a good thing or a bad thing.

Chee-to

Michael Peterson status
Jan 11, 2002
I'm a lawyer. I'm not your lawyer and this is not legal advice.

I read Turo's terms and conditions. I won't offer or rent a car on Turo and I told my family members that under no circumstances should they ever offer or rent a car on Turo.

You can decide what your own risk tolerance is.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
What happened?
Rented a car.

Put a dent in the fender at the wheelwell going 5 mph (nipped a low snowbank I couldn't see that was sticking out of a big snowbank).

Immediately notified the owner and Turo. Owner says please take it to the dealer for a safety check to make sure it's safe to drive and to the body shop for a repair est.

So it take it to the dealer, car checks out fine...but I find out it's a 2023 - not a 2022 like I had reserved. I verify the vin with the vin on the rental agreement - yup it's a different year. I notify the owner the car is fine to drive but the fender will have to be replaced and that he's rented me the wrong vehicle. He tells me the 2022 was totaled a while back and the 2023 was the replacement from his insurance payout. Text messages me outside the Turo app and tells me to lie to Turo and tell them we had a verbal agreement to exchange the 2022 for a 2023 prior to pickup. Which of course I did not do as that would be fraud.

Then he's like, OK then, just submit the rental agreement to your insurance and it should be fine (another passive suggestion to commit fraud I think). Of course I did this but I made sure to state clearly, in an email to them, the vehicle I was rented was NOT the vehicle on the rental agreement. I highly doubt they'll cover it.

So this guy is essentially listing a 2022 and 2023 of the same model vehicle on Turo but the 2022 doesn't exist.

He rented me the 2022 but instead gave me the 2023. Completely skipped the process for which Turo had to be notified.

Turo, from my conversations with them, acted as if they will really want no part in this as the car I dented has nothing to do with the rental agreement. Makes sense.

So basically I just borrowed his car for the week.

My thoughts on this is if my insurance denies the claim I will pay him whatever my deductible would have been and nothing more. Considering my insurance would have certrainly covered the vehicle on the rental agreement, why would I take on additional financial responsibility beyond my deductible for whatever game he's playing?

i_ride_spinnaz

OTF status
Aug 19, 2020
Oof. I had considered renting from them in the past when visiting areas with limited rental car availability/ ridiculous rental prices. It does seem like renting through them would open oneself up to all types of weird situations and interactions with owners, which I wouldn't really want to deal with while on a trip somewhere.

I don't think you owe the guy much, if anything beyond that. I'd pay the minimum you feel morally comfortable paying and wash your hands of it.

parkiteric

Nep status
Jul 3, 2010
i was in Oahu six times last year and once this year thus far. I rented from turo each time and never had any issues. Locals are usually very kind and easy to work with as long as there's a mutual respect. The transplants not so much. Headed back on Feb 12.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
i was in Oahu six times last year and once this year thus far. I rented from turo each time and never had any issues. Locals are usually very kind and easy to work with as long as there's a mutual respect. The transplants not so much. Headed back on Feb 12.
Rented on Oahu several times too as well as elsewhere.

Never had any problems until this past time in Oregon.

Now I see the pitfalls.

I talked to a neighbor who is a Turo host - he told me hell no would he ever rent a Turo.

He said he averages a totaled vehicle roughly every 50 trips.

• Wow
Reactions: grapedrink
Mar 15, 2022
I was on Oahu last month and used Turo. It was a great experience and I saved about 350 bucks as compared to a rental company. The person I rented from was a local in Kaneohe.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Update.

Still dealing with it.

Turo customer service is worthless, and that's not hyperbole.

Haphazard, English as a second language emails being sent to me requesting payment.

No invoices attached

My insurance said they don't even have a claim linked to my policy.

A few days ago Turo sent an email saying I owed them $1700.
Just now got off the phone with customer service it's not $1700, it's $1099.

I asked them what the claim number is that they used for the claim with my insurance.
They don't have one. lol.

etc.

Never got a request for a payment of deductible from my insurance, and my insurance has no record of any claim... Something smells rotten.

Or they are even less organized than your local shaper who promised you a board 6 months ago. :roflmao:

Do not rent with them. So not worth it.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Oh I forgot.

I rented a Corolla over Thanksgiving using Turo.
Worked great.

I think it cost me under $100 for 2 days.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
My understanding is that in case of a Turo you don't have coverage unless you purchase their insurance - unlike a standard rental your credit card or own insurance will not cover you.

Basically you're paying out of pocket if anything happens.

That's my understanding.

Further - I've tried to find info online about what happens as a renter if involved in an accident. Basically sounds like a nightmare even when you purchase insurance from Turo. Things seem to get pretty tricky.
Check your policy. It's common to have your auto insurance cover you in any type of rental vehicle.

Michael Peterson status
Jul 29, 2015
Update.

Still dealing with it.

Turo customer service is worthless, and that's not hyperbole.

Haphazard, English as a second language emails being sent to me requesting payment.

No invoices attached

My insurance said they don't even have a claim linked to my policy.

A few days ago Turo sent an email saying I owed them $1700.
Just now got off the phone with customer service it's not $1700, it's $1099.

I asked them what the claim number is that they used for the claim with my insurance.
They don't have one. lol.

etc.

Never got a request for a payment of deductible from my insurance, and my insurance has no record of any claim... Something smells rotten.

Or they are even less organized than your local shaper who promised you a board 6 months ago. :roflmao:

Do not rent with them. So not worth it.
This is why you have credit cards. Stop payment of anything they try to authorize and demand it goes through your insurance.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Check your policy. It's common to have your auto insurance cover you in any type of rental vehicle.
I was covered.

My insurance paid partially.

I was able to get a claim number, gave it to my insurance, and it showed my insurance had paid it but never linked it to our account.

Very weird.

This is why you have credit cards. Stop payment of anything they try to authorize and demand it goes through your insurance.
They adjusted the amount to the correct total (+$700 less than the original total).

I just saw they emailed me an invoice.

So I checked my email, and because the invoice was not paid within 24 hours of the email going out they sent me to collections.

:crazy2:

They literally sent me a text telling me to "settle up".

This has been the most bizarre, unprofessional, disorganized experience.

Never rent with Turo. Just not worth it.

And in retrospect, knowing what I know now, it's an incredibly stupid concept to begin with.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Had a bad experience renting a Turo. Told my gf we shouldnt use them bc you are dealing with an individual instead of a company that specializes in rental cars.

Scuffed the front bumper in a snowbank (VERY minimal). The guy then reports it saying it was a collision (scrape was less than two inches). Turo calls us at 6am PST multiple times and says we have to pay for a brand new bumper for the guy. Worst part is the guy only has to submit a quote and then Turo sends him the $. Not a reimbursement for work done.

Never using this dumbass company again

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Had a bad experience renting a Turo. Told my gf we shouldnt use them bc you are dealing with an individual instead of a company that specializes in rental cars.

Scuffed the front bumper in a snowbank (VERY minimal). The guy then reports it saying it was a collision (scrape was less than two inches). Turo calls us at 6am PST multiple times and says we have to pay for a brand new bumper for the guy. Worst part is the guy only has to submit a quote and then Turo sends him the $. Not a reimbursement for work done.

Never using this dumbass company again
Sounds familiar.

You should've told her to read my story in this thread...:ROFLMAO:

Turo is great until life happens, then reality kicks in and you realize how stupid you were thinking it was a good idea to rent with them.

I see you're already having fun with Turo customer service.:toilet: