Any writers here?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Bro.. I am a goofy foot. I'm not sure I'm following? You have a thing against goofy foots?
Nope, I am a goofy foot too...you can't call a person a wrong foot, it's nonsense...oh for the love of...
I was being purposely and obviously obtuse, then aggressive. It's a joke. If you want to continue the joke, you act affronted, but for an unexpected reason...or something like that....look, it's less funny when it has to be explained :foreheadslap:

this thread shall not be derailed! I took my giant distracting picture down and I'll take my own comedy down too if I must!

keenfish

Duke status
May 12, 2002
Trona
www.pbase.com
Nope, I am a goofy foot too...you can't call a person a wrong foot, it's nonsense...oh for the love of...
I was being purposely and obviously obtuse, then aggressive. It's a joke. If you want to continue the joke, you act affronted, but for an unexpected reason...or something like that....look, it's less funny when it has to be explained :foreheadslap:

this thread shall not be derailed! I took my giant distracting picture down and I'll take my own comedy down too if I must!
I don't recall ever calling someone a wrong foot? :shrug:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Not falling for it, you edited your post.
Wow, he's accusing you and youcantbeserious of beating off onto each other's favirot feet in the edited one. OG must have been heavy.

I'm pretty sure @youcantbeserious is the real deal but I think you two may have gotten off on the wrong foot? :shrug:
Honestly who can keep track of who beefs with whom?
There's a hidden tab on the quiver google doc with all the meat/face associative relationships in spreadsheet form

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Are you kidding me? I didn't edit any post. If I did it would say because that is how this forum software works.
If you're quick you can bypass the algo.

Stringcheese Scott Bass used to post here and run this, he did some writing. One time he mixed up write/right in something, I think music-related about where he said righting a folk song.

Frank Booth just Lit. His. sh!t. Up. Bassy went full triggered. Queen triggerfish on a bluebird day in the Caribbean lit up. It was glorious to behold.

Also did nep write?

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Are you kidding me? I didn't edit any post. If I did it would say because that is how this forum software works.
Which one of us isn't getting that the other is messing with him? Is it me? It could be me. It depends, did you edit your post about foot jerk-off-onto-ing to switch stances from goofy foot to regular?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
I'm pretty sure @youcantbeserious is the real deal but I think you two may have gotten off on the wrong foot? :shrug:
Me and @stringcheese fuck around but it's all just erBB bullshit. He could show up in Hawaii tomorrow and borrow a board and we'd probably be laughing our asses off, same as anyone else on here. I actually think he's pretty hilarious.

I write scripts (teleplays, whatever you want to call them) for TV and movies, I have written a book and a bunch of academic articles and got paid for a while to write encyclopedia entries in my field. TV pays better, but you have to be in LA, which I am done doing because I don't see my family enough.

I am actually very interested in what @i_ride_spinnaz is doing, would love to get in to that kind of free lance writing work! I will probably be teaching classes on film and TV writing at UH West Oahu come fall.

Grammar, syntax, yada yada are all well and good if you are writing academically, and even that stuff can be pretty bad, but writing for entertainment needs to be, above all... entertaining. I published my book with Oxford and their notorious editors, that was an experience, but I wouldn't call it great writing or anything. I hang out with a lot of screenwriters and novelists and they are mostly damaged souls and heavy drinkers. Not sure what that means.

Just remember writing is rewriting, no one should be reading your stuff unless you have taken it through at least five drafts. Minimum.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
I write technical papers, some journal articles, product planning guidance, and internet shitposts. Zinnser is the best for non-fiction.

One of the best ways to get better - in addition to what youcantbeserious said - is to read good writers like Tom Wolfe, Ambrose Bierce, Jack London, HP Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard if you want an American style.

potato-nator

Phil Edwards status
Nov 10, 2015
Me and @stringcheese fook around but it's all just erBB bullshit. He could show up in Hawaii tomorrow and borrow a board and we'd probably be laughing our asses off, same as anyone else on here. I actually think he's pretty hilarious.

I write scripts (teleplays, whatever you want to call them) for TV and movies, I have written a book and a bunch of academic articles and got paid for a while to write encyclopedia entries in my field. TV pays better, but you have to be in LA, which I am done doing because I don't see my family enough.

I am actually very interested in what @i_ride_spinnaz is doing, would love to get in to that kind of free lance writing work! I will probably be teaching classes on film and TV writing at UH West Oahu come fall.

Grammar, syntax, yada yada are all well and good if you are writing academically, and even that stuff can be pretty bad, but writing for entertainment needs to be, above all... entertaining. I published my book with Oxford and their notorious editors, that was an experience, but I wouldn't call it great writing or anything. I hang out with a lot of screenwriters and novelists and they are mostly damaged souls and heavy drinkers. Not sure what that means.

Just remember writing is rewriting, no one should be reading your stuff unless you have taken it through at least five drafts. Minimum.
do you hang out w/Theroux?
when you said damaged souls i thought of him...

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
I used to write copy for various websites back in the early aughts: plastic surgery, cosmetic dentistry, a wig website (yes, wigs).

Wrote music (record, not live shows) reviews for the Santa Barbara Independent for years. $10 per review used. This was good for meeting women in Santa Barbara. I was a rock critic!

I have written a couple of adapted screenplays, just for fun mostly, in Word (I would not pay for the script software), and have written a few treatments.

Wrote a lot of short stories and poetry in high school in the US-80s. Still have most of it someplace I think.

When I worked at UCSB I used to write erotic vignettes about the some women in my office and shared them with my friend who also worked in the office. He said I was good enough to be paid for it.

Having a kid and having to deal with other parents has been fodder for many pieces I've written. The worst part about being a parent, for me, has always been having to spend time with other parents.

I'd kind of like to write a novel someday. We'll see.

Oh, and for a while I was writing book proposals and sending them out to publishers. I never had any intention of writing the actual books. That was just an exercise unto itself. No one had any interest in any of them.

Last edited:

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Me and @stringcheese fook around but it's all just erBB bullshit. He could show up in Hawaii tomorrow and borrow a board and we'd probably be laughing our asses off, same as anyone else on here. I actually think he's pretty hilarious.

Thanks, I'm mostly trying to make people (or just myself) laugh on here. Thread to thread we can agree, disagree, argue, make fun...until it escalates to driving from Utah to the Carl's Jr by trestles to meat, it's just for the sake of discussion and, like you say, entertainment.

I got curious about this recently when trying to get back into writing code. Years after walking away from school because comp science was dead boring, I decided to try again. It took almost three whole seconds to become so bored that I honestly feared for my life. Recalling someone saying "if this is for you, you're probably the type of person who writes code on their own, for fun"(actually, that may have been the 3 seconds) I thought "can't imagine I'd survive the head injury that caused me to want to do this for fun" and promptly quit. Again. Hopefully for the final time.
The idea came later that I do write for fun. Only, in English.
But where does one write, or put what they write? I have my gear, but I don't know where to go to play. Where is the beach, the rink, for writing?

It's interesting to hear about the things you all do. How did you come to be doing them? Are you in an area of work or study that writing is tangential to? Did you write a lot of different things on your own interests and send them off fishing for approval or publication in the beginning? Curious how one works their way into a specific area of writing. Go to school and "plinko" your path by meeting people and starting projects? Pull out old notebooks and drop them off at news stations with "call me if you need anything spelled 90% correctly" pinned to them?
How do you pick topics? How long vs short do you go?
So much to learn!