any surf in the Bahamas???

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
same Atlantic ocean we all share. You should know well ahead of time if there will be surf but i doubt it. look at the shadowing of the islands.

guess it depends on where you are staying, if there is swell, swell direction and window for said spot. i wouldn't spend the money or hassle on a board.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
.... is there? worth taking 1 surfing bort?
It all depends where in the Bahamas you will be. The areas where tourists generally go don't have surf. There are many islands but only a couple have waves. Was lucky enough to spend 3 weeks on Eleuthera in 1992 and scored some great surf mostly at the spot featured in this tourism video.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
"Near the Exumas" is kind of vague. It's a very long chain. Eleuthera is not far from the North end. Long Island, San Sal, Little San Sal, Cat, and Rum all have good exposure.

There are two windows either side of Cat where swell can make it through in deep water to the Exumas. Then you're going to need to sort out a spot that actually has decent bathymetry, and not some weird barrier reef with no surf out the back and 6" wind chop off the beach.

Go on Google Earth before the trip and scout the zone if you actually know where you're going. If you see any potential, then wait and see if there's going to be any swell and what the wind is doing. If it's the right flavor between North and East to hit a place you have access to that can produce surf, and the airline will let you bring your board, maybe try it. But I wouldn't count on your boards making it. At all.

I saw some little sand wrap once when Google Earthing. You'd need a boat and lottery luck to score it.

My first order of business would be trunks, fins, mask, snorkel. The water clarity in the Exumas is supposed to be world class.

A close second would be a travel rod. Some small spoons and jigs, leader material, and pliers (do not try to pack pliers in your carry on).

Even a reel can be risky. They wanted to say you could use the line on my reel to strangle people and it was a near thing.

Reactions: paunch23

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Looks like there's a narrow NE window and maybe a narrow ESE window. You need to see what kind of planes you are on and where they are connecting. If you're flying big sh!t to Fort Lauderdale and something you can get a surfboard on direct to Staniel Cay, it could work logistically.

If you're connecting in Miami, clearing customs, connecting in Nassau, clearing customs, then making stops like an airborne school bus from New Providence on down, every Bahamian ever spawned is going to insist on personally crawling into the luggage compartment and jettisoning anyone's stuff, starting with anything that doesn't have a Bahamian address on it, in favor of their own. Your surfboard will get tossed onto the tarmac to melt so they can bring whatever the fuck they flew to the US to buy, all of which is sure to be far heavier and less valuable than a surfboard. My guess would be a couple Minions toys, a plastic Hello Kitty bookbag, some useless kitchen gadget(s) from QVC/infomercial, a Twilight Trapper Keeper, several pairs of jeans in various state of distress/bedazzle, a couple pairs of mustard-colored Timberland hiking boots, and a dozen family-size bags of some shitty candy.

Anywho if you don't even know where you're going, you're probably not going to figure out where the plane goes, if it can take a surfboard, if there will be a strong swell from a very specific angle.....

Bring the snorkeling sh!t; there will probably be a SUP you could commandeer somewhere if there's actually a little bump. The water color there really does have a God Mode reputation; it would be an amazing place to hit the lottery and actually get waves.

They drive on the left so try not to get hood ornamented.

Reactions: paunch23

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
hahah thanks dude hey,,,you mind translating that for me??,,,, remember I'm just a latin fck

I imagine those are fishing lures or something???
I think we're landing in Nassau and then going down the keys by boat for a few days...
Yes and if you can't flycast, starting with weighted flies like Clousers is an excellent way to hook your own eyeball, although fish do punish those things.

When you going?