Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
BJJ has basically replaced Judo. Judo has it's own rule set problems, which is why it is dying a slow death. Wrestling is also dying a slow death because of crappy rules too. At the moment BJJ is the best option in my opinion with kick boxing mixed in. Just keep in mind with kick boxing you are basically signing up to be someone punching bag unless you have competitive career ambitions.
SOme of the Olympic judo rules changed because countries were entering their freestyle wrestlers in the judo competitions and making the judo look ugly. This is where the new leg throw rules came from AFAIK. Then they banned kata guruma. What else?

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
If you are older and already have experience in a heavy martial art like bjj etc... then something lighter like Systema is a good option. You get a good mix of everything plus weapons training. Most practitioners are not looking to be pro fighters so they are chill and train slow, but still hit hard bare knuckle. You use real weapons like knives that are steel, but not sharp. It's a good close approximation to street situation training. I can't speak much about krav maga, but some of my friends like it too.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
My feeling with Judo and BJJ is that they change the rules to favor who they want to win. BJJ allowed knee reaping and leg locks before the russians with their crazy sambo leg lock game came along post cold war.

bluemarlin04

Michael Peterson status
Aug 13, 2015
I do like the 10p JJ system. They teach leg locks day 1.

But seems catch wrestling is better imo.

At the end of the day it’s about control and position.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
My feeling with Judo and BJJ is that they change the rules to favor who they want to win. BJJ allowed knee reaping and leg locks before the russians with their crazy sambo leg lock game came along post cold war.
I heard the reason was that the nerve impulse takes much longer to travel from the leg to the brain than from the arm to the brain so its much easier to get injured with heel hooks and leg locks. This is why the don't teach them to white belts. The last thing you want is to hear a loud pop from your kid's knee while he's training. The risk of training always has to be balanced against the reward. I think there is some truth to what you're saying though.

Reactions: the janitor

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I don't mind the gi, good to learn chokes and throws with gi and especially nogi. I got tired of getting my nuts smashed and chronic acid reflux while playing guard. The thing about modern ufc is it really does show how sports bjj has become too highly refined. No top rated bjj athlete competes in mma anymore. Damian Maia is done. He's like a stubborn mule that will not evolve beyond his stellar bjj ground game, which just isn't cutting it anymore. There are allot of really cool things to learn in bjj, and nothing else out there compares with pressure testing oneself in a relatively safe environment. But as soon as your step out of the polite rules boundary, like no nut smashing, or neck cranks, or small joint locks, or kneeing to the head etc... it becomes nothing more than good exercise. I mean you're not even allowed to do knee bars until brown belt, which takes like 10 years to get unless your a total suckup to the instructors or live on the mat non stop. Sambo kids in the old country learn knee bars the first day they step on the mat. Plus, there are stupid ass rules like no knee reaping. The list is of stupid ass rules only grows longer as more helicopter parents get involved. It will turn into tae-kwon-do in a few more years.

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
I heard the reason was that the nerve impulse takes much longer to travel from the leg to the brain than from the arm to the brain so its much easier to get injured with heel hooks and leg locks. This is why the don't teach them to white belts. The last thing you want is to hear a loud pop from your kid's knee while he's training. The risk of training always has to be balanced against the reward. I think there is some truth to what you're saying though.
Bitd, Nelson Monteiro (paraphrased) “there is a gentleman’s agreement not to use leg locks. There’s to much risk of injury and diving for someone’s feet isn’t exactly the coolest way to win. Now that I’ve said that it’s time to learn knee and ankle locks and the defenses/escapes”. It was also pretty much implied that if I continued in BJJ I should compete and if I did I better not show up to train with a win on points in a tournament.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
These kids get a pretty good mix of everything, from the land of Khabib. I don't think they worry to much about knees or arms popping, kids are made out of rubber.

Reactions: Chocki

SharkBoy

Miki Dora status
Oct 22, 2004
been training mma off and on for about 12 years
started as a whitebelt in BJJ this spring just for the hell of it (but in a group with accomplished martial artists from other disciplines)
both my kids do Judo.
Excellent cross training, and fun

This forum is what actually got me into MMA way back when.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
Leg locks day 1 should be the norm. Train them right and everybody knows not to f^ck around. Get the position, start to lock it in, tap, move on. No need to crank them on training partners.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Leg locks day 1 should be the norm. Train them right and everybody knows not to f^ck around. Get the position, start to lock it in, tap, move on. No need to crank them on training partners.
I was spazzing pretty hard the first few months, given the potential consequences of a mistake I'm glad they weren't on the menu at that stage