Any Other Martial Artists Out There?

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
anything not bjj (judo too), muy thai, boxing, or wrestling was posted in jest.. right??

i'm asking not saying
“Martial arts are codified systems and traditions of combat practiced for a number of reasons such as self-defense; military and law enforcement applications; competition; physical, mental, and spiritual development; entertainment; and the preservation of a nation's intangible cultural heritage.“
Wikipedia

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Blauer's SPEAR stuff and "Left of Bang" are your best bets for street violence. Most of this other stuff is a type of athletic competition. There is definite carry-over to the streets, but mostly because nak muay and BJJ players look like they'll fight back (they will) and that is a deterrent. Criminals use surprise, ambush, and mass (greater numbers). This is not ring competition.

Generally, Karen the DA is going to prosecute you if you didn't try to run away first.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Criminals use surprise, ambush, and mass (greater numbers). This is not ring competition.
jiujitsu is good for one on one, but when you're rolling w/ some guy, his buddy could be kicking you in the head.

my oldest son is super flexible (and lefty). we put him in bjj when he was 6-7 for self defense. when he competed, he started to jump on kids, start a triangle choke while his opponent was still standing, and pull them down on top of him. worked on a padded mat, but that wouldn't work on the hard concrete or asphalt. we were taking him 4 days/week and his coaches wanted him there more b/c he was becoming the prodigal son. we realized that this wasn't our lifestyle, like it was theirs, and we pulled him.

I think jiu jitsu would be awesome for women to prevent getting raped.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
jiujitsu is good for one on one, but when you're rolling w/ some guy, his buddy could be kicking you in the head.

my oldest son is super flexible (and lefty). we put him in bjj when he was 6-7 for self defense. when he competed, he started to jump on kids, start a triangle choke while his opponent was still standing, and pull them down on top of him. worked on a padded mat, but that wouldn't work on the hard concrete or asphalt. we were taking him 4 days/week and his coaches wanted him there more b/c he was becoming the prodigal son. we realized that this wasn't our lifestyle, like it was theirs, and we pulled him.

I think jiu jitsu would be awesome for women to prevent getting raped.
It’s good for most women to get a very real perspective on just absolutely helpless they are when attacked by most men.

When women train jiu jitsu with men they are reminded of this sobering fact every time they step on the mat.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think weekly sparing is your best bet.

That is what makes you harder to beat up.

You also know that a guy who knows how to fight will beat the sh!t out of you. That is good.

I agree with Duffy that sparing with men trains women to evade asocial interactions.

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
This thread is weird. I would hesitate to give too much information out about your training. A long time ago I trained with a guy that went down south and got into a bar fight when some rube made some stupid comment to his girlfriend about wearing her like a pair of glasses. Rube broke a bottle and came at him. Rube initiated the violence. The broken bottle got turned around into rube's throat. They charged the guy I had trained with. They went through his house and dug out all the martial arts certificates, training weapons, the library of MA books, they had records of how long he had trained, they had video of him training. Long story shorter, they made him sound like a MA killer in court. A loose cannon who was just waiting for a chance to kill. He lured that poor southern boy into attacking him. Set it up. Anyway, he went to prison and disappeared. Don't know what happened to him. There are a number of lessons in there. I'll let you figure them out.

Yesterday I worked out in the garage. After I was done it felt like I'd smoked a carton of cigarettes. There is more smoke in that air than it appears if you start breathing heavy.

Last edited: