Any of our ERBB members make the list?

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
This has the makings of a pretty major scandal if you ask me. Yeah Oahu lifeguards top out at about $55,000 per year by end of career (starting is about $35K, certainly not enough to rent something open market on the North Shore) and there is no overtime. Lots of them have side jobs cleaning yards, etc. and sorry but they are doing a lot more dangerous work than anyone in LA county.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Just another example of CA state employees fleecing the tax payers and politicians being bought by public employee unions.

There is zero chance you could convince me that any lifeguard deserves that type of pay.

Reminds me of the Fire fighters in CA claiming hundreds of hours of OT and making $300K-400K per year. That is more than the gov't pays the 4 star flag Officers on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Reactions: enframed

ghost_of_lewis_samuels

Phil Edwards status
Oct 27, 2019
I read this article earlier today and was surprised to learn of the CA lifeguard salary range. (I dont live in CA so I hand't thought about it much prior to reading).

Is the salary justified? From the time i've spent in CA, most of the lifeguards i've seen just like drive around in Trucks. Is there other stuff that they need to deal with?

Hawaii guards seem very busy, comparatively.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
One of my childhood friends was a lifeguard for a city in Orange County. He started at 15 and by the time we were in college, he was a beach marshall w/ a badge and ticket book, the whole 9 yards. The higher ups were all making over $100k/yr. Hard to crack into the top 10.

He became a firefighter and took a pay cut.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
not a surprise. When I was dating the cop we went and hung out at a party at her sergeants house.
Dude had a full on baller pad. Liked a tech millionaire.

Thought he was maybe on the take. then I looked on covered CA and saw he had made 578K the year before.

seems like a better use of our tax money than more training or hiring more officers no?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I know a capt LA cty. im betting he makes $150k. retiring in 5yrs at 55 full pension.
works 3-24 hr shifts a week i believe. cruising.......

kick myself sometimes for not going that route when young as I did guard for a few years and thought it was too boring..... if I had only known....

TheEl

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 31, 2010
kick myself sometimes for not going that route when young as I did guard for a few years and thought it was too boring..... if I had only known....
Right? I have a lot of friends that became firefighters right out of HS. Thought they were crazy at the time. They are living pretty good right now...

Reactions: JBerry and mundus

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Reminds me of the Fire fighters in CA claiming hundreds of hours of OT and making $300K-400K per year. That is more than the gov't pays the 4 star flag Officers on the Joint Chiefs of Staff.
Employees of Santa Barbara’s police and fire departments get “3 percent at 50.” For each year they’ve worked for the city, they receive 3 percent of their highest annual salary as a pension. A firefighter who has been with the city for 30 years will receive 90 percent of that last paycheck every year for the rest of his or her life.

The play is, any 30 year fireman in their last year before retirement gets dibs on available overtime to make ^ happen for them. That very often goes over $300k. You can look it up on transparentcalifornia.com. Just checked one here in town - $330k was his salary before retiring in 2018

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
I'm down wiht lifeguards making decent money. the guys at the top will logically make more.

more concerned with corporations that manage to rake in profits and offer little to the public

Reactions: JBerry

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Employees of Santa Barbara’s police and fire departments get “3 percent at 50.” For each year they’ve worked for the city, they receive 3 percent of their highest annual salary as a pension. A firefighter who has been with the city for 30 years will receive 90 percent of that last paycheck every year for the rest of his or her life.

The play is, any 30 year fireman in their last year before retirement gets dibs on available overtime to make ^ happen for them. That very often goes over $300k. You can look it up on transparentcalifornia.com. Just checked one here in town - $330k was his salary before retiring in 2018
enjoy footing the bill, SUCKERS :roflmao:

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

What? Teachers get 2% at 60, provide they have at least 20 years service.

In their defense, I'm guessing the higher paid guards are doing administrative work.