Another tyrant clipped.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Masks optional at our school today
Most of the kids I saw were wearing them when they were going in. They changed the rule last night, so I’m not sure if they didn’t know they were optional, or if they or their parents wanted them to wear the mask anyway

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
But this does not apply to the case of woman, who by nature (that is, by the ordinary law of God) is formed to obey; for gunaikokratia (the government of women) has always been regarded by all wise persons as a monstrous thing; and, therefore, so to speak, it will be a mingling of heaven and earth, if women usurp the right to teach.
John Calvin, Commentary on 1 Timothy 2:11-15

• Haha
Reactions: afoaf

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Its real simple. Every Covid mandate should have been a matter of legislation passed through the legislature by vote and then signed by the governors NOT executive orders. There is / was no excuse for the legislatures of states like mine shirking their responsibilities and going AWOL during a good chunk of Covid and letting governors get drunk on their power. Why even bother having legislators anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: Norm'

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
Its real simple. Every Covid mandate should have been a matter of legislation passed through the legislature by vote and then signed by the governors NOT executive orders. There is / was no excuse for the legislatures of states like mine shirking their responsibilities and going AWOL during a good chunk of Covid and letting governors get drunk on their power. Why even bother having legislators anymore?
so Murphy should have just waited for the legislature to act before doing anything about nursing homes?

Reactions: Norm'

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
so Murphy should have just waited for the legislature to act before doing anything about nursing homes?
You're being a dick just to be a dick Josh. Since you asked.......there was no need to wait. We have legislators who's job it is to legislate. This stuff isn't rocket science. How hard would it have been for a simple piece of legislation to be written, voted on and signed by the governor to deal with the emerging crisis? Could have been the exact same things he wrote up as executive orders. Why not have our state assembly and senate go on the record and vote on the matter?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You're being a dick just to be a dick Josh. Since you asked.......there was no need to wait. We have legislators who's job it is to legislate. This stuff isn't rocket science. How hard would it have been for a simple piece of legislation to be written, voted on and signed by the governor to deal with the emerging crisis? Could have been the exact same things he wrote up as executive orders. Why not have our state assembly and senate go on the record and vote on the matter?
Nice dodge.

Did Murphy violate the state constitution in using executive orders?

So I take it your answer is "yes, Murphy should have waited for the legislative debate process to act on the nursing home crisis, thereby exacerbating the crisis"?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Its real simple. Every Covid mandate should have been a matter of legislation passed through the legislature by vote and then signed by the governors NOT executive orders.
Science is not a matter of opinion.

Letting politics, and by default business, influence decision making during a public health crisis is the dumbest thing ever.

That's saying a lot,considering it came from your mouth.

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
In CA, the legislature wrote a health and safety code that gave the Governor power to act unilaterally. Would you suggest that isnt enough?

side note, rem when “legislators have the authority to choose electors” was an ar here?

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
In CA, the legislature wrote a health and safety code that gave the Governor power to act unilaterally. Would you suggest that isnt enough?

side note, rem when “legislators have the authority to choose electors” was an ar here?
BUHHHHH KALL-UHH-FOUR-NEE--AAhh is a dictatorship!!

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Science is not a matter of opinion.

Letting politics, and by default business, influence decision making during a public health crisis is the dumbest thing ever.

That's saying a lot,considering it came from your mouth.
Why do you hate representative government and crave authoritarianism so badly. Strange.....
Why wouldn't you want your local representatives to vote on measures that effect you, your family and your community?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
Nice dodge.

Did Murphy violate the state constitution in using executive orders?

So I take it your answer is "yes, Murphy should have waited for the legislative debate process to act on the nursing home crisis, thereby exacerbating the crisis"?
You dodge my whole point and try to predictably drag things off into the weeds with your nonsense. So you're telling me there couldn't have been an emergency session of the legislature to approve measures to deal with the situation?

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Why do you hate representative government and crave authoritarianism so badly. Strange.....
Why wouldn't you want your local representatives to vote on measures that effect you, your family and your community?
You elect the people you elect because you trust them to do the right thing at the time of emergency i.e. listen to the fucking science.

You don't vote on the fact that vaccines work or that masks help reduce the spread of the virus.

What is there to vote on?

StuAzole

Duke status
Jan 22, 2016
What if that had happened? Would you support the mandate? I don't think so.

Reactions: hal9000

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
You dodge my whole point and try to predictably drag things off into the weeds with your nonsense. So you're telling me there couldn't have been an emergency session of the legislature to approve measures to deal with the situation?
yes, of course there could have been, and who knows how long that would have taken.

either way you would have yelled "gubbnermint teeer-uh-neeeeeee".

You didn't answer whether or not Murphy violated the state constitution and used powers not granted to him.

I don't recall you criticizing Chump for going crazy with executive orders.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
You elect the people you elect because you trust them to do the right thing at the time of emergency i.e. listen to the fucking science.

You don't vote on the fact that vaccines work or that masks help reduce the spread of the virus.

What is there to vote on?
Why are you afraid of legislators doing their job in favor of tyrants ruling by executive order?