Another mechanic question....

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
What chu gonna put on it?

i think I paid $2500 for 6150 fronts and 5100 rears, used takeoff leafs from another customer and upper control arms.

this included the alignment labor and re-setting the height a few times after settling and shimming the drive shaft(?) 8months later to address a low speed vibration caused by the small change in stock geometry.

sometines having a relationship with the shop is well worth it.
I dunno. I'm good working around the house, but I don't know squat about auto mechanics. I was gonna sell it anyway, but I have a friend who has a mechanic son and she will get him to do it cheap. I have another car that needs work and I want to sell, so I'll cut a deal with him of some sort and let him sell my other car and make some money.

Reactions: afoaf

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
This is the correct answer.

Buy the entire assembly and swap in and out. It's pretty straight forward. Helps if you can find someone that has impact tools to break the steering components loose. Get an alignment once installed.

BTW, a broken strut won't affect MPG.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
My wife drives a Prius. It's been a great car- ten years, zero problems. We used to get 50mpg. Now it's more like 46. We've always had the maintenance done at the dealer. Minor stuff.

This time they said the strut boot was torn and the strut was leaking. Repair estimate- over $2000. I had to look it up because I couldn't understand what a strut could be leaking. I found the "strut" is what I used to call the "shock absorber" (maybe it's all the dirt/washboard roads we've taken it on :monkey:?). I've replaced shocks on my van, but for me, with a minimal mechanic's tool kit, it was a hassle. I hated using those (rented) spring compressors...it felt like handling live munitions.

Anybody know a good independent Toyota/Prius mechanic in the South Bay of LA?
may i ask what was the symptom and how many miles on it? i ask because my Prius has always intermittently made funky front end noises when turning at a certain radius under certain conditions. now with 100k on it, it makes those noises pretty consistently when i turn...i'm thinking it will need to be looked at, at some point.

auto repair is simply not my area, but god, i hate being an auto repair customer :drowning:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
My wife drives a Prius. It's been a great car- ten years, zero problems. We used to get 50mpg. Now it's more like 46. We've always had the maintenance done at the dealer. Minor stuff.

This time they said the strut boot was torn and the strut was leaking. Repair estimate- over $2000. I had to look it up because I couldn't understand what a strut could be leaking. I found the "strut" is what I used to call the "shock absorber" (maybe it's all the dirt/washboard roads we've taken it on :monkey:?). I've replaced shocks on my van, but for me, with a minimal mechanic's tool kit, it was a hassle. I hated using those (rented) spring compressors...it felt like handling live munitions.

Anybody know a good independent Toyota/Prius mechanic in the South Bay of LA?
if you don't DIY, talk to Ken at Beachside Auto on 5th and PCH

please tell him I sent you because my truck is falling apart and I need all the goodwill I can get out of that shop

• Haha
Reactions: One-Off and Subway

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
DIY is the way to go if you want to save money.

I swapped in a OME 3" lift on my old FJ Cruiser and added Total Chaos upper control arms for $800. Paid for an alignment. Swapped in rear coil springs for an additional $200. I was all in for about $1200. Shop quoted my friend $5K for the same lift.

Took the stock FJ front coils and swapped it into my 4Runner which had a front end shimmy at 60. The new coils fixed it.

Obviously, if you don't have mechanical skills then I wouldn't recommend messing with your suspension and steering components.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
DIY is the way to go if you want to save money.

I swapped in a OME 3" lift on my old FJ Cruiser and added Total Chaos upper control arms for $800. Paid for an alignment. Swapped in rear coil springs for an additional $200. I was all in for about $1200. Shop quoted my friend $5K for the same lift.

Took the stock FJ front coils and swapped it into my 4Runner which had a front end shimmy at 60. The new coils fixed it.

Obviously, if you don't have mechanical skills then I wouldn't recommend messing with your suspension and steering components.
I'm just going to wear a full-face helmet when de-compressing the coils. I will film it and put it in the "YOLO Sends" thread.

• Love
Reactions: PJ and Subway

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
if you don't DIY, talk to Ken at Beachside Auto on 5th and PCH

please tell him I sent you because my truck is falling apart and I need all the goodwill I can get out of that shop
I can never tell if you are like, idly wealthy, a transient living out of a board bag, or somewhere in between

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
How do you know if these after market parts are good? Thanks, btw.
My mechanic in Los Angeles, Walter Wong aka the Saab Whisperer preached upgrading when replacing if you’re keeping the car for a while.
TLDR = Bilstein, KYB

Reactions: PRCD

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
I wish DIY dental work was a thing. Holy cow I may go homeles but I’ll have a working natural grill

• Haha
Reactions: PRCD

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
may i ask what was the symptom and how many miles on it? i ask because my Prius has always intermittently made funky front end noises when turning at a certain radius under certain conditions. now with 100k on it, it makes those noises pretty consistently when i turn...i'm thinking it will need to be looked at, at some point.

auto repair is simply not my area, but god, i hate being an auto repair customer :drowning:
At 100k things have worn out.
Knowledge is power so start by Googling your car‘s symptoms. Model year specific search more better.

Then once you have an idea of what’s wrong Google Prius model year job cost so you know if anyone is trying to hose you. I’m a fan of sourcing my own parts to ensure best price/quality and mechanics that allow/encourage it.

Last edited:

Your Moms Dildo

Michael Peterson status
Jan 17, 2014
Next to the Lube
If you want to make the trip to HB.

I highly recommend Johnny at JC Alignments by beach and warner.

I've had to make that guy take my money on a few occasions.