Ankle Brace for High Ankle Sprain

Dec 5, 2010
I suffered a high ankle sprain 3 months ago, Doctor prescribed PT and wanted to give it some time before any further action, at 2.5 months, was still having pain, so I went ahead and got an MRI. The MRI showed partial tear of the anterior tibiofibular ligament - Doc says it might have been completely torn but because MRI was 2.5 months later it has since healed a bit. Doc says its up to me on surgery but I'm not jumping into it yet. I had a surf this week and came out feeling positive. I've seen videos online of how to tape an ankle for a high ankle sprain but it seems like it would be much easier to have a brace that I can use for surfing. There are a bunch on Amazon for high ankle sprains but many seem like they would be an issue with causing damage to the deck of the board. Does anyone have experience with this and if so, some advice on brace/recovery/and if surgery is my best option in the long run. Thanks

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
had a crazy ankle injury 10yrs ago. sprained inside, outside, and high. ended up the no-surgery route but had to wear a cast from my toes to my nuts and did not put weight on it for 6months. was told that was “best” for athletes who do not need to rush back.

10yrs on, i think they did the right thing.

at the time everyone and their mother said do something else, immobilizing is bad, etc.

all I learned in the end is get a second opinion and try not to listen to the arm chair doctors.

good luck and be easy on it if you feel pain. having to relearn to walk sucks and bad habits are quickly learned to compensate the pain away.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
That first one was joke.

I like this one