angiogram/Angioplasty

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
anyone done one with stents?
what's the recovery timetable like?
what's the odds of it going bad and you not coming out of the OR?
Especially at Kaiser

gonna push for one with my Cardiologist at my next check up
my blockage has ruined my quality of life
the medication hasn't made anything better

I need some vascular rotorooter at this point

john4surf

Kelly Slater status
May 28, 2005
CBS, CA
oneula said:
Especially at Kaiser

I've had 4 or 5 stents inserted. Pretty simple procedure for experienced surgeons. The stents that are medicated (to prevent later clogging) were my surgeons choice. You'll also have to take Plavix (for a year) or a suitable generic to help prevent clogging. I had a pacemaker installed to keep the chambers in better sync at the recommendation of my surgeon (the pacemaker comes with a computer mouse shaped reader. Put the "mouse" over the pacemaker and it reads the hearts history and sends the data to a main computer that translates and forwards readout to the cardiologist.

I'm trying to remember what restrictions placed on my by the surgeon once the stents were inserted. I think I was asked to take it easy for a couple of weeks and then resume a 'normal' life style. Good Luck Oneula! Piece of cake (if your surgeon has a track record of inserting a lot of stents (in the hundreds to thousands). John

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had the angiogram but no stents. My problem was the myocardial bridge (muscle over an artery). My cardiologist did say that stents were very routine and an outpatient procedure.

Your brother would know more than most right?

How's your diet?

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
patrolman said:
I had the angiogram but no stents. My problem was the myocardial bridge (muscle over an artery). My cardiologist did say that stents were very routine and an outpatient procedure.

Your brother would know more than most right?

How's your diet?
yup my brother had the stent thing three times and then a cracked chest
He said closing the hole they make for the tube is the problem especially after they pump you with thinner for the procedure
But when he had his first heart attack about a decade or more ago his wife's cousin who's a famous local cardiologist told him if he went into the OR at Kaiser he wasn't coming out alive so he made them transfer him to Queens for the procedure and he's been their ever since until his cardiologist passed away.

My diet and lifestyle sucks, I'm a workaholic and have been doing 13-14 hours days for decades. Always first in and last out

but since 2016 when this overheating and dizziness really got bad its impossible to do anything strenuous.
Normally I would just thought I was out of shape and gutted things out
but after they told me I've had a good sized blockage since 2012 when they caught it a portion of it on the CAT scan they took when my appendix burst I have been cautious of not over doing things

At first I thought it may have been one of those low T thing back in 2016 cause i was over 60 and started taking supplements. But that may have made it worse. Being tired all the time and taking a whole day to recover (sleep) after doing something as simple as cutting the lawn is demoralizing.
having these frigging frozen shoulders hasn't helped either but its hard to lose weight when you're sleeping all the time outside of work

So I want my arteries scrubbed out to get the blood flow I need to exercise again.

Every time my brother had another heart attack (4 total) I'd have to get stress tested and sonogrammed but they never found anything and now this

I got maybe another 5 years left to really surf before the joints start going so I wanna leave the water on a good note.

Thanks John
gonna do my best to give this thing a run for the money
But just in case I better will out my quiver before I go under on the table

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
oneula said:
My diet and lifestyle sucks, I'm a workaholic and have been doing 13-14 hours days for decades. Always first in and last out
I am not an expert by any means, but since it's the erBB I won't let that stop me...

If your diet sucks and you're doing 13-14 hour days it might be the case that you can dramatically improve how you feel by changing those two things first. Maybe design some sort of 20-30 day experiment to moderately modify your diet and work hours.

Something like cutting out some moderate portion of your diet (soda? candy? plate lunch every workday?) and leaving 2 hours earlier on Friday?

bigsurfer67

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 29, 2008
oneula said:
Especially at Kaiser

My brother in law has 4 or 5 stents...don't know the specifics but it was pretty basic and he is doing fine. Recovery time was pretty quick from what I recall.

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
oneula said:
Especially at Kaiser

Recovery from stents...If you're cleared to poop your good to go.

Stents aren't for every condition. Some blockages are only going to be resolved with bypass surgery. The good news is that the recovery is normally great.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
50% blockage just before the split in the left and 70% blockage just after the split in the following major in the left
the wanted to do a cabbage but I opted for stents for a quicker recovery

they are going from the groin since they went in from the wrist for the angiogram
will be on blood thinners for a year minimum

can't wait
I really want to get back into surfing before the end of the year. I might get a helmet

BTW I'm probably diabetic now too which doesn't help the heart thing
I'll probably need a cabbage later even if I go vegan

20W-50 and blood

Duke status
Feb 4, 2004
SOCAL
Visit site
left anterior descending? the widowmaker? the recovery isn't that bad....my dad's had it eight times. each time he came out immediately feeling better...except for the last which had other serious issues further complicating the matter. he once had a fourteen year run between ops...stayed active and was pretty damn functional

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
oneula said:
50% blockage just before the split in the left and 70% blockage just after the split in the following major in the left
the wanted to do a cabbage but I opted for stents for a quicker recovery

they are going from the groin since they went in from the wrist for the angiogram
will be on blood thinners for a year minimum

can't wait
I really want to get back into surfing before the end of the year. I might get a helmet

BTW I'm probably diabetic now too which doesn't help the heart thing
I'll probably need a cabbage later even if I go vegan
There are special stents for diabetics.

I had an angiogram/angioplasty done in Guadalajara, first class hospital and crew. Recovery time was quick. Lose weight bruddah. That’s your number one enemy.