Andy Lyons For Mayor!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Same with the Rangers I've met. My old college roommate is an ex-Ranger and now does all the recruiting in to Ranger assessment and selection. They want guys who just won't fucking stop. To make it through assessment and selection there is seemingly no level of physical discomfort they can't power through. I also think they're born that way. It's crazy. And they don't hate getting in to bar fights.
My friend Matt was a fucking legend. Guy never stopped, worst person to train with period. He could swim and run for days but he wasnt some crazy fighter when we were growing up. Not sure if he got better as I never fought him post seals training hahaha.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
There's a jump to be made going from martial arts training to actual street fights. Some people are incapable of making that jump. For some of them it is physical. Training makes everyone better, but with striking in particular, there is an entry level of basic athleticism that is required IMHO. Some people simply don't have enough fast twitch capability to ever be effective. No matter how many years or what rank they attain. Some people lack the mentality. It's just not there. (these may be people that are more mentally healthy IMO.) That doesn't mean there is anything wrong with what they were training in. (although there are plenty of fraudulent MA instructors out there teaching BS). They just don't have that in them. Training isn't fighting. Even heavy contact training wearing gloves is different from what is going to happen bare knuckle/no rules/no ref/no mats. It's closer, but still not the same. You can't expect to be good at anything doing nothing but simulations. You will be better equipped than if you had done nothing, but no guarantees. And you can't train hardcore for ever. The idea is this is a life-long pursuit. There is a stage where going hard is valuable. The juice is worth the squeeze. But at some point, you have to back away from that. If you don't you are going to start carrying life-long physical damage with you. That becomes counter productive. You're crippling yourself and limiting future capability. I have been around mid 70 year olds that could still move. Still dangerous. Even with their max speed declining, their sense of timing and distance made them formidable. There is a LOT of value in going through the training and the various stages. And a lot of that value has NOTHING to do with fighting.

I'll shut up now.
The thing they can't really teach is how not to freak the phuck out when you get punched in the face and rocked. That instinct to lose your cool is why most ass-kickings happen.

hanger18

Nep status
Sep 16, 2003
Pacific Beach
Andy has some huge clients and its the Agency's loss to succumb to the internet woke judge and jury that constitutes mainstream culture. The agency posted something like Andy has been fired and our hearts go out to those affected by his behavior. WHAT A JOKE! Andy is Malibu and sells millions of real estate every year. He's a hardworking guy,good father and like B5 said stands up to protect this town. We all had to take our lumps growing up and show respect to the elders and follow the etiquette. The guy should be thanking Andy for only dinging his sh!t board. This would not fly in most spots in the world and often results in punches thrown. But the tik tok cancel culture are such pussies. Posting his address on line, flooding his company with IG messages, vilifying him without knowing the story that yellow board dude was back paddling a 50 year local over and over again? This will pass and Andy will continue sell tons of houses and dominate 1st. He's not going anywhere. Learn respect you tools, otherwise it gets taught to you. If your iphone is society's weapon of choice and people can lie and stay anonymous, like pussies, then we need a correction. Go Andy!
Sounds like the dude selling homes is partially to blame for the gentrification #blameandy

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The thing they can't really teach is how not to freak the phuck out when you get punched in the face and rocked. That instinct to lose your cool is why most ass-kickings happen.
A lot of you guys think street violence is like it's depicted in some kind of '60s greaser movie rather than several people putting the boots to you in a near-death beating or stabbing that might cripple you or kill you. This isn't squaring off and exchanging punches.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I get it, but let's face it, plan beats no plan 99% of the time. I also get "dojo ballerinas" if someone is studying tae kwon do or doing katas all day. But six months in an MMA gym against an untrained opponent, tough guy or not, they are going to have a hard time. Sorry.

I used to love to fight. I just enjoyed it. I didn't care if I won or lost, and I lost a lot, but I thought it was fun. In Hauula it was like a pastime anyway. "We go scrap, friends after!" Never hurts until the next day anyway. I did it so much I got pretty good at it. But I like to say I got older just in time - no one used to train seriously, and now everyone does, at least in Hawaii. And all my experience against untrained drunks and punks and scrapping friends is all well and good, but against someone who trains seriously it means very little. I know. I started training and got my ass handed to me. By chicks, a couple times.

Sorry guys, the average dude who has spent two years steady in a Muay Thai gym or the average BJJ purple belt is going to fook you up. End of story. That's just life. You can try to gouge their eyes or grab their nuts, it's just going to make them mad.

Maybe Andy can act like that because HE puts the time in and knows what he can do. Or maybe he's just been lucky. But every tough guy's luck runs out some time. If Malibu was in a place like Virginia Beach (SEALS) or Columbus (Rangers) or Coronado (more SEALS) where there are true trained killers walking around, you would really need to watch your temper.

Control yourselves people. It ain't 1985 anymore.
My buddy used to be a pro boxer - they'd bring him in to train the SEALs -- he took great pleasure in dismantling those egos. They can fight but they ain't no Duffy or Tyson. That said, the "never quit" and "win at any cost" ethic that the team guys have is a feat of will that I don't possess.

There seems to only be two kinds of SEALs -- Captain America good-guy patriot, or murderous, Id-driven psychopath.

• Haha
Reactions: Aruka and PRCD

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
A lot of you guys think street violence is like it's depicted in some kind of '60s greaser movie rather than several people putting the boots to you in a near-death beating or stabbing that might cripple you or kill you. This isn't squaring off and exchanging punches.
Edit: In my twenties Ima hit you with a brick if I can grab one, or try and drown you if it's in the water. But I'm 52 and a big pvssy and onlyu really have internet muscles.

That Gentleman's fisticuffs squareoff ain't how sh!t is today.

Last edited:

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
there are entire subreddits dedicated to videos of street violence if you want to check them out

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
The number of shootings in my neighborhood has been crazy in the last few years. Seemingly everyone is carrying a gun. Your purple belt in bjj wont stop a bullet...that sick folding knife that is your edc wont help. Only two options - chill the fuck out and vamoose at the first sign of conflict, or carry a gun (illegally here) and be the first one shooting. Because thats who wins fights around here. Malibu needs more guns in the lineup for sure.

Reactions: Havoc

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
The number of shootings in my neighborhood has been crazy in the last few years. Seemingly everyone is carrying a gun. Your purple belt in bjj wont stop a bullet...that sick folding knife that is your edc wont help. Only two options - chill the fook out and vamoose at the first sign of conflict, or carry a gun (illegally here) and be the first one shooting. Because thats who wins fights around here. Malibu needs more guns in the lineup for sure.
Me laughing at 30/30 in your neighborhood:

Reactions: Clayster

nada2looz

OTF status
Mar 16, 2016
my friend was stabbed and killed last year by a drifter/semi homeless person who he kinda knew from the neighborhood. assume everyone trains? how about assume everyone is a psycho with a violent rap sheet who will kill you over nothing. this is why i don't fight or argue with people at all. folks are nuts out there. like i said, train to diffuse a situation and run like hell if you need to.

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Ten years ago I had a friendly wetsuit changing conversation with the guy next to me in a Huntington parking lot. He was taking off his fullsuit, and I saw a sheathed knife he carried near his left armpit, kind of in the folds of the bib in a front chest zipper model. I said, "Is that for sharks?" I forgot what he said but he seemed like he wanted protection for something else. 5 inch blade maybe.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
Own your ego

walk away

knowing full well what you are and are not capable of makes it so much easier to do that
You can walk away from social violence. You cannot walk away from asocial violence and violence is the only response to asocial violence. Knowing which is key.

Slabsplease

OTF status
Mar 5, 2015
Odds are in favor of respectable athleticism/inherent-natural ability trumping an average person with training under his/her belt when it comes to a street fight scenario. Athleticism is in itself a martial art amongst other positives and advantages.

I know too many types (some friends) across the globe (and especially in California) that are attached in a medically classifiable way to their local spot. It's sad to witness. The ocean belongs to no human, and localism can be displayed in a very professional manner, and in a way that makes you WANT to respect it and appreciate it.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
andy has never backed down from anyone i have ever seen. big dudes, total board ditching kooks, totally sounded out and they puff and up and say, "let's take it to the beach." andy goes into the beach. they have all walked away. i've known andy 40+ years. surfed many a day in that area with him. there's a LOT of back story not being remembered in this incident. the young man with the ding in his board, not his face, was back paddling a LOT, and not just andy. limited resources, way too many soft tops, surf schools, film me bro's, lawyers, and total idiots in one place, a lifelong local dude snaps, and it's the end of the world? get over it. it was a powder keg. didn't matter if it was 2' or 12'. someone, (yellow board soul kid single fin idiot) does not dictate lineup etiquette. long time locals do. if more dings were handed out, maybe malibu, and ALL of the over crowded kook filled fun wave places would still be fun.

Likes to be a dick and picks fights when he surfs, does he? That's what it sounds like you are telling us.

He was a total dick here, and the video proves it. Anything else is lame propaganda.

• Love
Reactions: Chocki

Chocki

Phil Edwards status
Feb 18, 2007
Planet Earth
Likes to be a dick and picks fights when he surfs, does he? That's what it sounds like you are telling us.

He was a total dick here, and the video proves it. Anything else is lame propaganda.
Gotta love when the guys that get to surf a spot the most are always angry about surfing there. Pathetic.

More footage of Fire Marshal Bill trying to defend the honor of 2’ Malibu Point and bitter long time local cuntz everywhere.

Last edited: