Andy Lyons For Mayor!

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
HDip - you’re not wrong at all. My comments are more a statement about today’s world vs this specific incident. More people need to be called out for being shitheels. Including Andy if he is one. I don’t know him.

Reactions: npsp and keenfish

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I've stated my view on it above.

Let's look at Andy's side of things from that Instagram screenshot.

Young kid who has a lot of energy and can paddle all day long against the current is catching a lot of waves. Andy catches a wave (he says he's being raced back up the point, so he's paddling back out from a wave too) When Andy is paddling back. Young kid who is energetic and is just paddling up the point ends up next to Andy at some point. Andy takes this as disrespect and barks at him. (he's probably barked at people all day long at this point) The kid catches a wave, which he didn't wait his turn for. Andy drops in on him to purposely burn him. It wasn't Andy's turn either. He was paddling back up the point right?

So who is in the wrong? The kid who is catching to many waves? Or the old guy who can't compete anymore and is catching to many waves? We have to throw out the "I've been waiting longer so it's my turn" rule.

If they're both in the wrong in not waiting their turn, then let's go to the next surf rule. Closest to the curl has priority. The kid meets the criteria here.

So where does Andy fall? He falls under "enforcer". I grew up and earned a spot at a "north LA point" that had lots of rocks, where it was dangerous to take off on people. I half understand this "enforcer" role. I get the point of them. I don't think it helps surfing in this day and age though.

The ocean is a big place. When it's windy there are an infinite amount of waves outside the surf zone. I've chosen to stop playing in the 100 feet along shore for the most part. I pick my battles now.
Taking turns at First Point? :roflmao:

Sorry, but it is apparent you haven't surfed there. How does that work when there's 50-75 people out? Malibu is a total zoo. Up to half the people on any given day are beginners. It's anarchy. I saw Sarlo on one, pumping down the line, full speed, fully engaged ...and then a beginner on a longboard paddles in and and eats it right in front of him and he has to straighten out. I thought at the very least he'd have words if not slaps for the guy. But he just grabbed his board and paddled back up the point.

Steamroller on the other hand...once I was paddling for a wave, but turned to see him, like Sarlo, pumping down the line, fully engaged in the wave...and... he calls me into it. "Go! Go!" That has never happened to me at Malibu. Aloha Steamroller! :cheers:

My instinct at Malibu it to take off far back. There's a really, really good chance I'll get burned. But the alternative is to sit on the shoulder and do the burning. That is not in my DNA. So I take off deep and every now and then I get one through. I don't get bent out of shape if someone drops in on me, maybe a little annoyed if it's way on the inside, and then it's like, "Come on! Really?"

Maybe Andy was having a bad day. Maybe the kid had attitude. Better the board catch a rock than the kid's head.

It's LA...:shrug:

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
Serious question for the ERBB:

What does Malibu look like when it is big? Is it still packed?
8 foot faces on this hurricane Frank swell. That camera angle is from above, so it's a bit bigger than what it looks like. It turns into a perfect right hander though. So there's always an easy paddle out. It's always crowded. The more hyped the swell, the more people there are.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
video has been taken down?

While I applaud burning anyone who doesn't understand the concept of sharing waves in a lineup, dropping rocks on a kid's board to teach him a lesson is uncalled for... go Aussie style and tie the little fvkcer up to a pole naked for a while.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
video has been taken down?

While I applaud burning anyone who doesn't understand the concept of sharing waves in a lineup, dropping rocks on a kid's board to teach him a lesson is uncalled for... go Aussie style and tie the little fvkcer up to a pole naked for a while.
I'm probably done with this thread now, said my peace. But, the video is around, just saw someone else link it elsewhere. I'm not even on TikTok just consume to much surf content.

maybe

Michael Peterson status
Jul 23, 2011
I avoid "big name" spots like the plague. I would rather have a closed-out beach break to myself, than paddle out with 100+ other people and deal with the ensuing sh!t show.

bonzer5fin

Duke status
May 9, 2006
your mom
i love it. i love andy. teach, your children well. entitled little shits ruined surfing. he obviously didn't ever listen. andy and sarlo are nice guys, but burn them, and you're probably not gonna enjoy the outcome. sarlo, not as much these days, but andy is a lot more of the enforcer than allen. allen is from santa monica, too. it's like a guy from santa barbara telling people to get out of the water in oxnard. lol. at some popint people snap. this kid is gonna thin real hard before he back paddles anyone again. think shaun tomson. he writes about "the code" but is the biggest snake in the world. he faded an oxnard dude at huge rincon. oxnard dude waits for him on the bach and beats his ass. totally deserved. does shaun stop fading and snaking and dropping in? NO. maybe this kid will.

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Too true this was actually pretty calm behavior back in the old days

Only two differences: everybody has cameras now and everybody trains. You're either gonna end up on TV or getting choked out hahaha

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
So, someone who lives hundreds of miles away, and spends 6 hours out there helping to clog the line-up, complains about the crowd, at a place where before any of us were born typically had an average of 4 riders on each wave, (and with CA having 1/10 the population of today.)

I do like Koa though, perhaps he should mentor Zeke L.?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Serious question for the ERBB:

What does Malibu look like when it is big? Is it still packed?
Does Malibu ever become a challenging serious wave as it gets bigger? I've surfed a reef point in the Caribbean where at double overhead or bigger it can have two very different looks and moods depending on swell angle. Its one mood is a giant playful sweeping point wave where its a crowded shitshow because there are zero consequences. Shift the swell direction and wind a few degrees and at the same size the place wants to kill you. Sketchy ledging takeoffs and horrific reef thrashings and hold downs. It becomes a wave of consequence. Does Malibu ever become anything even remotely like that even on its biggest days?

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig