Andy Lyons For Mayor!

youcantbeserious

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 29, 2020
Location location
Hahahaha remember folks, gotta be careful these days, EVERYBODY TRAINS

Surfed Topanga once with my friend from Manhattan Beach who is an intermediate surfer but a Rickson Gracie black belt and was an instructor at Kron Gracie's academy. Some guy burned my him and then started yapping and I was like "buddy, pipe down before you take a forced nap."

steamroller

Michael Peterson status
Dec 23, 2007
48U - Green River, WY

Surfed Topanga once with my friend from Manhattan Beach who is an intermediate surfer but a Rickson Gracie black belt and was an instructor at Kron Gracie's academy. Some guy burned my him and then started yapping and I was like "buddy, pipe down before you take a forced nap."

yupyup...never know who is a nerd-ninja-assassain

even worse...theres sbout a bazillion lawyers and a JUDGE that surfs 1st point regularly...

AND CAMERAS!

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Lollaparolla we had a d.a. who was cut like a lumberjack, surfed well on a bigger board and caught more waves than anyone out at any given time.
I heard he was battling cancer so all of that aside I hope he's okay and will be out there for many more seasons. Talk about holding your tongue. I took care of those warrants by the way. Except maybe the Delaware one for parking on Lewis St. And ripping up the tickets.

CCKeith

Gerry Lopez status
May 13, 2014
my god another tthread with kooks gettin defended. ill just say i know a certain someone who was there and its a fact that little sh!t was paddlin past everybody, he had been warned many times so had it coming!

Reactions: 000 and Boneroni

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
:roflmao:

Love how the real stories always come out.

So the kid was basically paddling around everyone else.

He was told to knock it off ad nauseum.

He didn't listen, and didn't get the message from the intentional burn.

Oh well.

Typical entitled millennial attitude.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
my god another tthread with kooks gettin defended. ill just say i know a certain someone who was there and its a fact that little sh!t was paddlin past everybody, he had been warned many times so had it coming!
the burn him and make him lose his board I’ll understand. The rock throwing is over and above to me. That has no place in a lineup. It’s just terrible behavior.

Apoarently several of the TikTok commenters were reporting this to Andy’s employer. It’ll be interesting to see the outcome, but like most old school surf culture it will be kept quiet and only whispered about so we’ll never know. Classic!

Reactions: MathDebater and JTS

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
This kind of stuff used to be the standard.

We were terrified of the older guys, so we learned quick.

Yeah I understand. I grew up in Malibu. Do we think that's healthy though? Now that I'm taking my kids to the beach is that what we want them to be feeling? I think there are better ways to teach respect than violence and intimidation. I think that attitude is bad for Andy Lyons and bad for the entire crowd. I was out west so never surfed Malibu proper much growing up. Always heard the stories of Andy and Sarlo. When I have finally surfed with them over the last few years, they've been nothing but nice to me. Want to know why? We were all on foils when I've seen them. :)

I was on the beach for that swell. I was playing with my 9 and 7 year old on the beach. Going tandem or triple in the kiddie bowl on a 9 foot soft top. My son even paddled out on his own for the first time, lost the board at one point and had to swim in and handled it no problem. It was a great day. The crowd out at first has been beyond critical mass since the 60's. I don't think there's any point to being upset about it anymore.

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008

Swim Test!

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Yeah I understand. I grew up in Malibu. Do we think that's healthy though? Now that I'm taking my kids to the beach is that what we want them to be feeling?
I don't think anyone wants their kid to feel bad, but feeling bad is part of life.

A lot of times it's how we learn lessons.

Sometimes you have to feel bad in order to become a better human.

I think there are better ways to teach respect than violence and intimidation.
I used to think that too.

But now I see what happens when too many people think that way and I can see I was wrong.

A whole lot more fuckery, and a whole lot more people getting hurt.

I'm sure everyone that happen learned a lesson, or had a reminder that day.

I can assure you the "victim" will not continue to victimize the rest of the lineups he wades into.

• Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I don't think anyone wants their kid to feel bad, but feeling bad is part of life.

A lot of times it's how we learn lessons.

Sometimes you have to feel bad in order to become a better human.

I used to think that too.

But now I see what happens when too many people think that way and I can see I was wrong.

A whole lot more fuckery, and a whole lot more people getting hurt.

I'm sure everyone that happen learned a lesson, or had a reminder that day.

I can assure you the "victim" will not continue to victimize the rest of the lineups he wades into.
A kid victimizing the lineup??

You make a lot of assumptions. Like the one where you assume the kid is to blame. The video reveals nothing of the sort.

The video shows angry man dropping in on kid, heading down the line fully aware that kid was behind him, then deliberately cutting back into kid dinging his own board, then degenerating into a full on roided out rage. That's what the video shows. It shows nothing else.

Perhaps the kid did back paddle him; buy it isn't on the video. And if I was angry man, I would want to cook up a bullshit excuse after the fact to justify my ridiculous behavior, even if it wasn't true. Given the video, he could face consequences.

But if the kid did back paddle him, all angry man had to do was continue on down the line peacefully. He was outrunning kid, and the two foot mushburger was crumbling on the kid and he was going nowhere. Nothing for a normal, grown man to worry about.

Sorry, but I don't buy the BS from angry man, but even if the BS is true, he was still in the wrong. There was a much better way to handle it.

Reactions: sizzld1 and Makoman

sickdog

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 5, 2006
Remember this incident?

(Nat)
Young was attacked at his home break at Angourie Beach in New South Wales, Australia, suffering two broken eye sockets, cracked cheekbones and sinuses that no longer work the way they should. But Young, known worldwide for his own aggression, ego and ambition, admits he had a hand in provoking the attack when he slapped the face of the son of a rival surfer for "bad behavior." When Young left the water, the father attacked.
"I was wrong; I shouldn't have done what I did," Young says. "But no one deserves a beating for such an action. There are other ways to handle anger."
And that's the message of "Surf Rage," which chronicles violent incidents at dozens of major surf spots around the world.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Yeah I understand. I grew up in Malibu. Do we think that's healthy though? Now that I'm taking my kids to the beach is that what we want them to be feeling? I think there are better ways to teach respect than violence and intimidation.
To paraphrase another’s line… the problem with the world today is not enough people have been punched in the face for being an asshole.

I taught my 19 year old (who surfs really well) at an early age how to not be an ass the water. Someone has to teach them and if Andy’s side of the story is true clearly no one has taught this grom. Now that said, I wouldn’t have gone full aggro rock to the board like he did but that’s not really my style anyway. Burn him and cut back…. No issues with that.

Hdip

Michael Peterson status
Apr 23, 2005
Malibu, CA
To paraphrase another’s line… the problem with the world today is not enough people have been punched in the face for being an asshole.

I taught my 19 year old (who surfs really well) at an early age how to not be an ass the water. Someone has to teach them and if Andy’s side of the story is true clearly no one has taught this grom. Now that said, I wouldn’t have gone full aggro rock to the board like he did but that’s not really my style anyway. Burn him and cut back…. No issues with that.

I've stated my view on it above.

Let's look at Andy's side of things from that Instagram screenshot.

Young kid who has a lot of energy and can paddle all day long against the current is catching a lot of waves. Andy catches a wave (he says he's being raced back up the point, so he's paddling back out from a wave too) When Andy is paddling back. Young kid who is energetic and is just paddling up the point ends up next to Andy at some point. Andy takes this as disrespect and barks at him. (he's probably barked at people all day long at this point) The kid catches a wave, which he didn't wait his turn for. Andy drops in on him to purposely burn him. It wasn't Andy's turn either. He was paddling back up the point right?

So who is in the wrong? The kid who is catching to many waves? Or the old guy who can't compete anymore and is catching to many waves? We have to throw out the "I've been waiting longer so it's my turn" rule.

If they're both in the wrong in not waiting their turn, then let's go to the next surf rule. Closest to the curl has priority. The kid meets the criteria here.

So where does Andy fall? He falls under "enforcer". I grew up and earned a spot at a "north LA point" that had lots of rocks, where it was dangerous to take off on people. I half understand this "enforcer" role. I get the point of them. I don't think it helps surfing in this day and age though.

The ocean is a big place. When it's windy there are an infinite amount of waves outside the surf zone. I've chosen to stop playing in the 100 feet along shore for the most part. I pick my battles now.