Am I an Arsehole for having a fire in the fireplace in 2020?

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
NO!
I just had one last night, and probably tonight as well.
In my hood, i hear people complaining about other peoples wood fires, how it messes up their allergies, etc.
Bunch of whiners. Why did they build homes with fireplaces in them anyways, right? It's not like out in the forest, only source of heat, needed for cooking etc. Doesn't happen all year long, especially in socal.
Enjoy your fire, I am enjoying mine!!

Reactions: Kento

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
There are "no-burn days", at least in some CA counties, and it includes wood burning fireplaces, fire pits, wood burning stoves, issued by air control districts, and agriculture burning issued by the fire dept. I'm not how aggressively they actually enforce the fireplace no burn days but there are fines. If they want to, it's not too difficult to see line of smoke coming out of a fireplace from 5 miles away on a cold day.

slopokecr

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 28, 2007
By the way, carbon credits is the biggest pile of bullshit ever. One guy has a new efficient factory. So he takes money from a guy with a dirty factory so the dirty factory can run dirty?.

Al Gore didn't invent the internet, but he did invent carbon offsets.

Why, you ask?

Because Al is carbon offsets broker. Fücker got rich on taking a percentage of the cash trading hands.
Biggest Scam in the history of history. Create a brand new market place for a global product that is virtually invisible and doesn't cost anything. Assign a value to it, force people to trade it, and get in the middle of the transaction to take a cut. Forehead slap.

Reactions: Ifallalot

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
No burn days here are for fire danger in the summer and days when, because of the weather, smoke will settle near where it is burned and will be aggravating sensitive groups, smog, etc..

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
I will say about the only time I hate fire burning smoke is wildfires, and that little campground in big sur called ferndale where people want to stoke up their night before's fires in the morning when there is no wind and it settles over the whole valley floor in the camprground. :mad: P U!

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I will say about the only time I hate fire burning smoke is wildfires, and that little campground in big sur called ferndale where people want to stoke up their night before's fires in the morning when there is no wind and it settles over the whole valley floor in the camprground. :mad: P U!
yep.

same idea for cities....

Feb 26, 2010
Assholes say "arsehole" - unless you have identification proving you are limey, irish, aussie, or kiwi, then u cool.

Reactions: mundus

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
owning a wood-burning stove is a personal aspiration of mine

FARTHAMMER

Nep status
Apr 19, 2009
When it gets somewhat chilly here multiple neighbors have their stinky fire places going, fire pits going, etc. It's chill unless your downwind, then it sucks!

oneworlded

Administrator
Jun 4, 2004
Murrica
chrisdixonreports.com
Go have a fire in your fireplace. Just don't do what my hermit neighbors down the block do and burn all their trash through their fireplace. FD comes by their place to chew them out at least once a month.
Clean your chimney too. Mine got blocked with creosote. Smoked up the whole house when a big old chunk of the stuff fell into a bend in the chimney. Couldn't believe how much came out of it. If that stuff had caught fire my chimney woulda looked like this:
1579444720245.png

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
As far as global warming, no problem there. The carbon from a tree you burn just goes into the next tree growing.

Want a little secret? Earth is a closed system. Every last molecule of carbon floating around in the atmosphere was at one time in history, floating around.

Earth can't get any warmer than it did at its historic warmest.
So basically the carbon from everything we burn “goes into the next” something.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
So basically the carbon from everything we burn “goes into the next” something.
Nope,
The carbon from a tree burned will go into the replacement tree.

The carbon burnt from fossil fuel overwhelms the growth rate of organic matter, so it gets stored in the ocean and atmosphere. We burn faster than plants grow. There in lies the problem.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Nope,
The carbon from a tree burned will go into the replacement tree.

The carbon burnt from fossil fuel overwhelms the growth rate of organic matter, so it gets stored in the ocean and atmosphere. We burn faster than plants grow. There in lies the problem.
So as if by magic the carbon from burned wood only goes into making another tree?

wow. Amazing.

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
So as if by magic the carbon from burned wood only goes into making another tree?

wow. Amazing.
Yea, chemistry is amazing.

If a tree has 200 pounds of carbon in it, and you release all 200 pounds into the air, and another growing sapling becomes a tree of the same size, it will breath in those 200 pounds of carbon in the form of CO2.

Just ask Bill Nye

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
We have a small gas fireplace and its just enough for us to never run the heat. 6 years now and we have only run the heat after returning the last 2 years after being gone 10 days over Christmas. 67 inside.

It's great to get it on in front of any fireplace. Let the chick warm up in front of it. Pussy gets toasty.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta