Alternatives to higher ed

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
What does the 'S' stand for in BS EE? What does the 'R' stand for in 'R&D'? Are you just joking with these gotchas?
It wasn’t a gotcha
i was impressed
im not always looking for an arguement
But if having ”science“ in your degree makes you a scientist, does having “science” in your degree twice mean your a double scientist?

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
I'd like to know if "bachelor" in your degree makes you a bachelor or does that only apply to "science"?

Being a bachelor is very emasculating if you ask me.

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
It wasn’t a gotcha
i was impressed
im not always looking for an arguement
But if having ”science“ in your degree makes you a scientist, does having “science” in your degree twice mean your a double scientist?
Understood. It's hard to know with the Bitter Balkan's :ROFLMAO:. It'd be great if the 'ignore' feature turned those off too, but we can't have everything.

Beyond having "science" in my degree - as in "bachelor/master of science" - I have it on my resume at two different companies. I've worked in research AND design. Engineering is also an applied science.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
got it
You think you’re better than us, don’t you
Edit: I just remembered, I have Engineer in my resume too
2nd edit: LinkedIn still says I’m an engineer. I need to update that for my current role

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: Ifallalot and PRCD

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
My old trumpkin friend used to call himself a scientist as well. He has an MS though, and he worked for a university in a management position. His job was to keep the zebra fish fed and alive so the researchers could do experiments on them.
He told me he was trying to understand what made those researchers tick.
He always introduced himself as a university scientist.
seems to be important.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
What makes someone an Engineer?

How many Twitter employees do you think have Computer Science degrees, and how many have Computer Engineering degrees?

Does lab playtime with a breadboard and some gates, and the Motorola HC series, etc. count more or less than literally believing some dude posted up inside a whale for the Jeebus Social Credit Score?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
it's been a while since he's reminded us that he's a science engineer

also, you don't need AI to crank out a microservice architecture for global video streaming

there are already tons of existing modules/toolkits that would allow you to deploy that with little new code being written

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
it's been a while since he's reminded us that he's a science engineer

also, you don't need AI to crank out a microservice architecture for global video streaming

there are already tons of existing modules/toolkits that would allow you to deploy that with little new code being written
I don't think machine learning is moving that fast and I find it highly, highly amusing people think anyone is spitting requirements/constraints well enough for this.

It'll probably be AI having to deal with capital/management attempting to relay information that causes it to try to exterminate humanity.

I wonder how many Big Bezos contraptions have been destroyed because someone means mayonnaise, says miracle whip, and they wind up getting miracle whip instead of mayonnaise.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
I have a BSEE too. So I took a few more science classes than the typical Sociology major. In the big picture it doesn't mean sh!t. Especially when it comes to politics.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
My old trumpkin friend used to call himself a scientist as well. He has an MS though, and he worked for a university in a management position. His job was to keep the zebra fish fed and alive so the researchers could do experiments on them.
He told me he was trying to understand what made those researchers tick.
He always introduced himself as a university scientist.
seems to be important.
Kind of like calling the first lady a "Doctor".