Almond Surfboards R-Series

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
^Agreed, but currently owning a 4'10 INT Hybrid Epoxy Bottom (tri fin and won it years ago at the Switchfoot Bro/Am), going that short (for me) messes up my stance for a wave or two going between boards. I like bringing the 4'10 down to the beach for my daughter or one of her friends to use. I've usually surfed by the time I get the kids to the beach, so I'm usually not frothing and I don't like my good boards to cook in the sun. If I start seeing some really fun waves I'll usually grab the 4'10 over the 8' Wavestorm we also bring, but it's always tricky not having my back foot at the very edge of the tail and it slipping off. It'll take at least three waves for me to dial my stance in and if the waves really turn on and In run back home for one of my HPSB's, I'm screwed for at least a wave or two getting back to my normal stance on my normal boards.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
These things are at least as expensive as a high-quality used board from a top shaper. Literally the only reason I could understand a decent-good surfer choosing to ride one of these is because they need to leave it in the car all day and don't want to stress about it heating up. I'll try just about anything to make tiny waves amusing, and there's plenty of non-softy options for small waves: I'd always rather be on something I can turn, trim, glide, swoop, etc. than a blunt instrument like a wavestorm. You're gonna catch just as many crappy waves, and once you're up and riding, wouldn't a longboard/midlength/minisimmons be more fun?? Different strokes for different folks, I guess...
I have a 7’0” Catchsurf Odysea Log. It has its place in my quiver as a longboard alternative. I’ve probably taken it out 5 times in the 5 yrs I’ve had it and had a blast every time. The last time it was in small, fat, high tide lefts. You can’t expect high performance out of these things but you might be pleasantly surprised of what is possible with them... Personally I like the way they glide and the flex characteristics make for an interesting ride.

Last edited:

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Nah I think that's the fun of it, stumpy little twin fin to fly around on.

Anybody see the post on Albums IG? Someone commented that this build (along with almond) your leash rips right through the rails.

Reactions: oeste858

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Catch surf just had a huge sale, almost everything on their site is sold out. I guess there is a market for these things.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
These things are at least as expensive as a high-quality used board from a top shaper. Literally the only reason I could understand a decent-good surfer choosing to ride one of these is because they need to leave it in the car all day and don't want to stress about it heating up. I'll try just about anything to make tiny waves amusing, and there's plenty of non-softy options for small waves: I'd always rather be on something I can turn, trim, glide, swoop, etc. than a blunt instrument like a wavestorm. You're gonna catch just as many crappy waves, and once you're up and riding, wouldn't a longboard/midlength/minisimmons be more fun?? Different strokes for different folks, I guess...
I've never ridden a soft-top surfboard but other than Aviso and EPS I'm way more worried about leaving a bodyboard in the car and it cooking than leaving a poly in a car and it cooking. Granted everywhere I park I can crack my windows and not worry about a gang of bums with a snoop-n-sneak kit popping open a door and rummaging, but basically 15 minutes in a car and a bodyboard is useless except for shorebreak closeouts. Forget trying to DK once it's been car-cooked.

foamdust

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 6, 2002
Honolulu, Hawaii
What I like about riding my soft top is that it reignites the stoke and excitement I felt when I first started a long time ago. Catching a wave, doing a few squiggly turns and riding the wave till it finally peters out...

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
It was 85 degrees yesterday in Redondo with lots people at the beach. We had a chest high+ swell and it was glassy all day. The waves were really lined up in the afternoon with the dropping tide and with no turns to be done, it didn't really matter what kind of board you were riding. The guys on the longer Catch Surf/Odysea soft tops seemed to actually get further in the closeout barrels than the three of us on shortboards. I think with the added weight and that they could get in earlier, they had more momentum when they pulled in and travelled further. I was amazed no one broke a board since it was pretty top to bottom sand suckers.

Jun 18, 2020
Wow amazing board !! actually last week was so hot here. it was like 95 degrees.i suggested a stand up paddle boarding for my friends after restrictions are reduced and we are able to go to beaches, Well they couldn't say no but one of my friends told me that he doesn't have an SUP paddle board and asked me to find him one so, i had to looking for one online after all he ordered “Bluefin Cruise” from standuppaddleboardworld.com . He received it after hours and the next day we went to the beach. It was such a refreshing day !!

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
Wow amazing board !! actually last week was so hot here. it was like 95 degrees.i suggested a stand up paddle boarding for my friends after restrictions are reduced and we are able to go to beaches, Well they couldn't say no but one of my friends told me that he doesn't have an SUP paddle board and asked me to find him one so, i had to looking for one online after all he ordered “Bluefin Cruise” from standuppaddleboardworld.com . He received it after hours and the next day we went to the beach. It was such a refreshing day !!

Attachments