Almond Surfboards R-Series

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii

https://almondsurfboards.com/collections/r-series-surfboards

Anybody try one of these? Made in the USA foamie. Fully recyclable. No wax needed.
5'4 at 36 liters.
Lots of positive reviews.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Looks cool... check out Crime Surfboards on Instagram too. Wonder if the guys at INT are making that for Almond?

grg

Phil Edwards status
Mar 11, 2006
Tuna Town/Baja
Racer1 said:
grg said:
https://intsoftboards.com/collections/glassed-hull
Those look sick, and they have a 30% off promo code, but everything is sold out.
yea I saw that also. INT used to have market share years ago and they new it. They were quite full of themselves and now they are more active on social media etc.

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
I'm not sure why anyone would want a hybrid over a regular board. Soft tops flex like crazy. It's hard to drive off the bottom and do a decent turn.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I'm not sure why anyone would want a hybrid over a regular board. Soft tops flex like crazy. It's hard to drive off the bottom and do a decent turn.
Yep, the INT’s ride like you are on a trampoline they don’t have a strong enough stringer but catch surf has supposedly fixed that with 3 wood stringers down the middle

Bman76

Nep status
Mar 10, 2011
yup. I seem to be in the minority but I don't get it.
Me either. I've seen guys bring them out when the surf is super clean and chest high. It feels like the equivalent to skulling a 50 years old bottle of scotch. I guess they make sense if the surf is absolute garbage and you want to surf between the flags - but i'd rather body surf.

Reactions: oeste858 and jkb

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
Me either. I've seen guys bring them out when the surf is super clean and chest high. It feels like the equivalent to skulling a 50 years old bottle of scotch. I guess they make sense if the surf is absolute garbage and you want to surf between the flags - but i'd rather body surf.
I was thinking of getting one, my reason is I can keep it in the car wand when I get off work I can get a few waves in not having to worry about wax melt or the sun roasting my board. Also, I think if you get a high performance foamie, I would not be worrying about dropping in on anything last minute or busting impossible airs. Maybe the soft foam gives me more confidence.

The flexy INT I had was a POS but I'm curious to see how the designs have progressed.

foamdust

Gerry Lopez status
Jul 6, 2002
Honolulu, Hawaii
I have a 7’0” Catchsurf Odysea Log. It has its place in my quiver as a longboard alternative. I’ve probably taken it out 5 times in the 5 yrs I’ve had it and had a blast every time. The last time it was in small, fat, high tide lefts. You can’t expect high performance out of these things but you might be pleasantly surprised of what is possible with them. The Catchsurf YouTube videos show how far they can be taken under the feet of competent riders like JOB and others. They will never replace your go to, daily driver, but they can add a new dimension when the waves are less than ideal. Personally I like the way they glide and the flex characteristics make for an interesting ride.

Gerry Lopez status
Aug 29, 2019
I have a 7’0” Catchsurf Odysea Log. It has its place in my quiver as a longboard alternative. I’ve probably taken it out 5 times in the 5 yrs I’ve had it and had a blast every time. The last time it was in small, fat, high tide lefts. You can’t expect high performance out of these things but you might be pleasantly surprised of what is possible with them. The Catchsurf YouTube videos show how far they can be taken under the feet of competent riders like JOB and others. They will never replace your go to, daily driver, but they can add a new dimension when the waves are less than ideal. Personally I like the way they glide and the flex characteristics make for an interesting ride.
and the logs are considered beginners boards

ChaseTMP

Billy Hamilton status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Album has entered the soft top market as well which look the same as Almond's tech.