All you guitar

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
~3-5 watts, built into a baking pan.
Yo-to-the-lo! This lil thing will out Vox a Vox all Fckn day.

“Bedroom“ levels is more subject than wave height.

I‘ll repeat: Play a bunch of amps with your own guitar at some music stores, then Buy a used one you like on https://reverb.com/

View attachment 125832
what is this? seems interesting. I have seen some local guys makes some killer amps out of old movie projectors.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
If I named a song, could any of you tell me what amp would best replicate the sound? Or what amp and pedal? Of what amp, settings and pedals?

Reactions: sdsrfr

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
If I named a song, could any of you tell me what amp would best replicate the sound? Or what amp and pedal? Of what amp, settings and pedals?
Some guitar parts in recording have a definitive tones that sound like X guitar through y amp - but many do not.
If you go to the Gear Page forum there’s threads about this stuff ad nauseum.

Player most important. Can’t count the times Ive seen a great player sit in w a band playing some one Else’s gear and sounding exactly like themselves.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I had a 20 dollar ukulele.

Sometimes I could get it to sound good if I played good.

It's really good for playing if you play shitty equipment.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Reminds me of Jack White's plastic guitar in "It Might Get Loud." Also, I remember some erBBer saying years ago that anyone could play David Gilmour's notes, it was getting his tone that was hard.

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
what is this? seems interesting. I have seen some local guys makes some killer amps out of old movie projectors.
IDK, A customer had it, wasn’t working - I saw it and loved it so he gave it to me. I think it might have just had a cold solder joint that I just reheated n I got it working.

ive seen a number of those repurposed projectors; very cool.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
certain sounds are in the gear. single coil strat vs les Paul/sg or fender (clean mid-scoop) vs marshall (gain) amps come to mind.

but most of what you think of from a song is in the fingers and phrasing, not the gear.

Reactions: Boneroni

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
many places sell fender amps as kits.

you can skip the enclosure and install it in any chassis you like.

a lot of the tweed circuits can be fun to explore. basic bill of materials and easy to go down the rabbit hole of tone stack mods.

Reactions: Boneroni

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Depending on your neighbours / family attitude, a 1w tube amp is plenty loud.

FWIW I play 90% of the time at home through a Vox amplug through headphones to keep the rest of the family happy.

When they are out I plug in to a nice tube amp.......

The AC10 is a good call, it’s got good “top boost” tone at low (ish) volume and I’ve gigged with it in small rooms - it’s plenty loud enough on the edge of break up unless your drummer is animal from the muppets!

I’ve got a beautiful 40w fender tweed I’ve never turned up over 5 on the volume as it makes everything in the room shake!

That Boss katana mentioned above sounds great from what I’ve heard. I think there’s a certain amount of snobbery attached to tubes vs solid state, I’m not sure you ( honestly) will really hear much difference in a quality amp with “average guitarist” ears.

If you are planning on chucking some pedals in the chain too then that further muddies the tone waters......

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
….think there’s a certain amount of snobbery attached to tubes vs solid state, I’m not sure you ( honestly) will really hear much difference in a quality amp with “average guitarist” ears.
There definitely is.
But I’d also say the average to even less than average player will get a full on boner playing through an amazing rig- they will feel it.

Nothing touches a great Tube amp that’s properly tuned up, through a great speaker- at the proper size/wattage for use, not even close IMO. It’s obviously more than what you’re hearing/sound - it’s the response to input/responsivenes/dynamics/touch sensitivity etc. There’s nothing close.

That being said - lots of hot-garbage tube amps out there; some very popular - Fender Blues Junior is the equivalent of a Wave Storm; fack-I’d rather have a moldy Peavey Bandit.

there’s buckets of good to great sounding non tube amps out there; tons of good gear in general at all price points/it’s a great time to be a guitar player.

Reactions: sdsrfr and jory

ajmojave

OTF status
Aug 26, 2018
Here's a few. I think the tone might be similar in all three-

Intro

Intro and 2:50

Intro and 2:40
Wasn't dont take me alive Larry Carlton? monster guitar part either way. I have zero guesses what he was playing.

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
Here's a few. I think the tone might be similar in all three-

Intro

Intro and 2:50

Intro and 2:40
I am not an expert, but I feel like you can get these tones out of a Fender black face style amp + a "transparent" overdrive pretty easily. Steely Dan song more overdriven, and I would maybe use a fuzz with guitar volume rolled back a bit to approximate the opening tone.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
There definitely is.
But I’d also say the average to even less than average player will get a full on boner playing through an amazing rig- they will feel it.

Nothing touches a great Tube amp that’s properly tuned up, through a great speaker- at the proper size/wattage for use, not even close IMO. It’s obviously more than what you’re hearing/sound - it’s the response to input/responsivenes/dynamics/touch sensitivity etc. There’s nothing close.

That being said - lots of hot-garbage tube amps out there; some very popular - Fender Blues Junior is the equivalent of a Wave Storm; fack-I’d rather have a moldy Peavey Bandit.

there’s buckets of good to great sounding non tube amps out there; tons of good gear in general at all price points/it’s a great time to be a guitar player.
Actually, you’re right, there’s something special about playing loud through a nicely overdriven tube amp. There’s a warmth and a dynamic reactive feel to your playing that is aweSome.

I also think a good amp flatters a bad guitar more than the other way around.

There are a lot of small tube amps around now that sound great at lower volumes.....

What I was getting at ( badly) was that it’s widely held that any tube amp is automatically gonna sound better than a solid state amp. That might have been true years ago but I think there are some solid state (& even digital ) things around now that can give you great tone as well.

Also, tube amps really shine when you are playing straight from the guitar into the amp and cranking it. As soon as you are adding on pedals, especially ones that have a particular “sound” to them, the base tone is more obscured and you’ll notice less difference between a pair of decent amps whatever they are.

Reactions: Swallow Tail

Ifallalot

Duke status
Dec 17, 2008
I play my pedal board through this thing a lot https://www.oldbloodnoise.com/pedals/headphone-amp

It actually sounds and kinda acts like a real amp should, but any time it's a decent hour and my wife's not busy with work I go to my real amp

However, even with the advances in digital technology as well as solid state with things like Quilter you're not going to be happy unless you get a real tube amp

However, speaker setup has as much to do with loudness as watts do. I had an AC15 Twin that was only 15 watts but much louder than 50 watt tube amps i've had. I feel like the sweet spot in an amp is a 30-50W 1x12 setup because it will work at home yet have enough headroom for a band There are TONS of amps in this config from all the major brands. I'd go with something with two channels so you don't have to completely rely on pedals for dirt, but some people think some pedals sound better than some amps preamp tube distortion anyways (You can spend years on The Gear Page going over this)

If you want to buy used I think a good amp in your price range is a newer Fender Super Sonic 22. They're a grand new but you can find them in your price range all day long. I'm not even sure why I got rid of mine, I think I got in my head and made myself want more wattage to play with some guys that I played with once :roflmao:

I currently have a Mesa Boogie TC50 that I spent way too much on; GAS is getting to me though AND I can sell it and make a profit while buying the much cheaper Orange Rocker 32 I want

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
I think vox are generally loud for their labelled wattage. I’ve got an ac4tv that’s loud enOugh for band practice!

30-50w is plenty, personally think single channel is fine but master volume is essential

Reactions: Ifallalot