All you guitar

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
snobs. I want to buy an guitar amp. Tube? Or solid state? Not looking to spend a lot of money. <$400 - $500. One guitarist I know pisses on solid state amps. The other one I know says solid state has come a long way to replicating tubes.

FWIW, I make noise with a MIM Fender Stat with humbucklers.

Thoughts?

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Sounds like you’re a home player?
Do you ever play w a drummer etc?

Take your guitar, your cable to some shops n plug into a bunch of different gear to see what you like.

biggest mistake w tube amps is buying ones that are over powered for their situation.

Ive been playing well over 30 years, prob have 10 or so amps ATM - from 50s through to newer stuff. Been around lots of amazing gear and musicians over the years.

There is some great solid state stuff out there.

I personally know a number of touring pros - that are amazing artists - that use and absolutely love Quilter amps. if going the non tube route - I’d go used Quilter.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Everyone pooh-poohs this advice but I say get the logic pro recording studio and play through that with head phones.

Then figure out how to program the drums and piano.

I play almost exclusively though headphones to save my neighbors.

It's weird when you play loud through an amp in an open space.

Nobody needs to hear me play.

Last edited:

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
Are you gonna gig? Jam with others in the garage for fun? Or just play by yourself in your house?
Must answer this to proceed. Also, how loud to you NEED to get? How loud do you WANT to get?

Multiple options for each sound situation

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House
Everyone pooh-poohs this advice but I say get the logic pro recording studio and play through that with head phones.

Then figure out how to program the drums and piano.

I play exclusively though headphones to save my neighbors.

It's weird when you play loud through an amp in an open space.

But nobody needs to hear me play.
Different strokes!
There’s a reason for the pop-poo: Most find it the complete opposite- playing/Listening w headphones to feel very unnatural. That direct in is cool for lying down ideas and if you need “silent”volume.

I fckn hate headphones - They fatigue my ears quickly - even good ones. I’m the opposite of you:
I take the back panels off almost all my amps and n speaker cabs / I WANT to hear the room interact w my gear.

BTW: The most essential gear unless your at a pro level of playing:

A metronome - get a free phone app. Time & feel are everything.
playing over drum beats, backing tracks - have their place n fun; but theyre fckn crutches that end up getting leaned on. A metronome provides no cover for one’s sloppiness; so you’re forced to play better.

Makule

Michael Peterson status
Aug 31, 2004
Somewhere between heaven and hell
Drummer for 30 + years. No gigging as a guitar player. Need an amp just to mess around in the spare bedroom. I like the tube sound but I prefer not to spend $500 for 1watt Marshall tube amp. Saw some 30 watt Marshall solid state for $269. Anyone played with the a Marshall modeling amp?

Reactions: Swallow Tail

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Different strokes!
There’s a reason for the pop-poo: Most find it the complete opposite- playing/Listening w headphones to feel very unnatural. That direct in is cool for lying down ideas and if you need “silent”volume.

I fckn hate headphones - They fatigue my ears quickly - even good ones. I’m the opposite of you:
I take the back panels off almost all my amps and n speaker cabs / I WANT to hear the room interact w my gear.

BTW: The most essential gear unless your at a pro level of playing:

A metronome - get a free phone app. Time & feel are everything.
playing over drum beats, backing tracks - have their place n fun; but theyre fckn crutches that end up getting leaned on. A metronome provides no cover for one’s sloppiness; so you’re forced to play better.
MAybe if I were a better player or less empathetic.

There definitely is a difference playing in a room.

I most like to record.

Everyone I know who plays better than I don't record.

That surprises me.

You could be creating great art like me.

https://soundcloud.com/user698828797%2Fput-my-penus-in-your-mouth

Reactions: kidfury

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
Drummer for 30 + years. No gigging as a guitar player. Need an amp just to mess around in the spare bedroom. I like the tube sound but I prefer not to spend $500 for 1watt Marshall tube amp. Saw some 30 watt Marshall solid state for $269. Anyone played with the a Marshall modeling amp?
Well if you're a drummer you shouldn't need a metronome to play guitar along too. Although that is excellent advice as most guitarists who play by themselves have pretty bad timing when they try to either play with others or with a drummer. Easy to be in time with yourself. Much different when you play with others.

I have no recommendations on an amp. I only play acoustic guitar and never on stage. Good luck.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Tubes or bust. Solid state is “better” has been the claim since before line6 was on the scene. always replaced by something better a few years later. You’ll never have this happen with tube amps.

Hassle of tubes is a joke. Drop in new tubes every few years depending on use and you’re good. Many “home” amps self bias now.

recommend no more than 15w for home. i have a 2-channel 18w 1x12 and I barely ever go above 3 before my ears hurt. Also have a class A 5w 1x6” that is fun to crank to 10.

lot of tube amp options for under $750 price range that will last you decades. I would never spend more than $300 on a solid state.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

see if you can try one of these. Stay away from low watt Marshall’s unless you arent planning on any cleans.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Well if you're a drummer you shouldn't need a metronome to play guitar along too. Although that is excellent advice as most guitarists who play by themselves have pretty bad timing when they try to either play with others or with a drummer. Easy to be in time with yourself. Much different when you play with others.

I have no recommendations on an amp. I only play acoustic guitar and never on stage. Good luck.
I only play to a drum machine.

I was trying to play yesterday and my timing was so off.

I really had to concentrate.

I could do it but I had to try.

It's weird because in my mind I can still play great.

I'm the same way in the gym.

Reality is a cruel teacher.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
You don't need an amp. Just get one of these and a decent set of headphones and some AA Batteries. You're welcome.

Seriously though, I have a Pod and a Fender Mustang amp. I wind up using the Pod with headphones more than anything. I'm also a bedroom player.....not very good and I get grief anytime I turn up the amp enough to get it going. Might as well just wear headphones and have fun.

Reactions: Boneroni

Boneroni

Tom Curren status
Mar 5, 2012
Goleta
You don't need an amp. Just get one of these and a decent set of headphones and some AA Batteries. You're welcome.

Seriously though, I have a Pod and a Fender Mustang amp. I wind up using the Pod with headphones more than anything. I'm also a bedroom player.....not very good and I get grief anytime I turn up the amp enough to get it going. Might as well just wear headphones and have fun.
Whoa, that looks kinda cool! When I'm playing punk on my electric I still use my ancient POD through a decent keyboard amp. I can make the walls shake, but I mostly play at night, so need distortion while quiet. My favorite tube amps have all been at their best loud.

I haven't gigged playing punk in years, so my only tube amp is a JCM 900. 2 channels, I think.
No cab though :bricks:

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
snobs. I want to buy an guitar amp. Tube? Or solid state? Not looking to spend a lot of money. <$400 - $500. One guitarist I know pisses on solid state amps. The other one I know says solid state has come a long way to replicating tubes.

FWIW, I make noise with a MIM Fender Stat with humbucklers.

Thoughts?
I’ve been down this wormhole for a couple weeks and I’m pretty sure this is where I’m going to end up:

Vox AC10C1

You can get a good driven tube sound at bedroom level

I have a Boss GT-1 multi-effect modeler running into an Ampeg bass amp that gives the same sounds as that Katana and it has its ups and downs. The pre-programed effects are generally too rich, so you have to go in and tone them down (pun intended). But you get some sick sounds out of it. They have a Rectifier model that’s really grindy.

• Love
Reactions: Boneroni and sdsrfr

LipService

OTF status
Feb 10, 2017
I love my Roland Micro Cube. You can plug it in, but if not, the batteries last quite a while. The thing gets pretty loud.

I also use a Roland KC-150 as a guitar amp since it serves as a PA for the drum machine, keyboard, and mic as well.

Reactions: Boneroni

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
stick with smaller speakers if you care about your volume levels. agree “bedroom volume“ is subjective as wave height.

headphone amps and modeling amps are toys at this price range. you need at most 2 sounds you like, clean and distortion. or just clean and a pedal for dirt.

big chains have decent return policies. maybe grab a solid state and tube amp, try them in your enviroment and return the one that doesn’t check the most boxes.