Alec Cooke ? Ace Cool ... whatever happend to this guy ?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
Late 80's / early 90's he was pushing a Pedicab in Waikiki and telling folks about his surfing feats and selling picture postcards of him surfing ~

RIP ~ Alec "ace cool" Cooke ~ hawaiian flag.jpeg

Reactions: Kaido

kelly7873

Nep status
Jan 20, 2002
Honolulu
Shared the lineup with him many times, a few times just the two of us out. I was just talking about him the other day, hard to imagine that he could be killed by a small Waimea. The guy I was talking to thought that he's hiding out somewhere. I don't think he could stay hidden for long, he loved attention too much.

Aquaman2

Michael Peterson status
Apr 17, 2008
Socal
fineartamerica.com
11-12-2015:
"The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended the search for big wave surfer Alec “Ace Cool” Cooke off the coast of Oahu, Hawaii. Cooke’s girlfriend reported him missing after the 59-year-old failed to return from a surf trip on Wednesday. The Coast Guard said the Hawaii Police Department had informed it on Thursday morning that Cooke’s truck had been found at a church near Waimea Bay, with his dog and keys still inside. A friend later recovered his surfboard."

Search Ends for Big Wave Surfer Alec 'Ace Cool' Cooke (fox40.com)

tbuc

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jun 12, 2006
Late 80's / early 90's he was pushing a Pedicab in Waikiki and telling folks about his surfing feats and selling picture postcards of him surfing ~

RIP ~ Alec "ace cool" Cooke ~ View attachment 103709
His early exploits definitely caught my attention back in the day. I saw him in town on his pedicab doing exactly what you mention. I might not have realized it was him if not for the postcards and listening to him chat up the tourists. Considering the attention that Kaena point had at the time, do people even paddle in or tow that area?

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
His early exploits definitely caught my attention back in the day. I saw him in town on his pedicab doing exactly what you mention. I might not have realized it was him if not for the postcards and listening to him chat up the tourists. Considering the attention that Kaena point had at the time, do people even paddle in or tow that area?
Charlie Galanto who opened and ran Greg Noll's Shop was going to try and get dropped off outside the lineup by helicopter but I can't recall if he ever did. Alec used to hangout in front of the bar that I worked at in Waikiki called the Rose and Crown Pub in Kings Alley on Kaiulani and Koa Ave with another pedicab driver from Brazil called Shadah. Alec hustled the service guys that were stationed on Oahu that came out of the bar with visiting tourist wahine's that were looking for other bars to party at.
When you could still drive around Kaena Point, I went around it with a few old timers when the north shore was too big to ride and going over Kam Hwy. Looking back towards Waialua and Haleiwa, it was just white water. The old railroad "road" on the Makaha side was awash with ocean water and the sets had to be timed to continue on. "Yokes" was blowing water over the beach and into the bushes across the road. Same when we got to Makaha but it was rideable with better conditions with a few notable surfers out. The police had a road block up at the Waianae end of the Makaha Beach by Clausmiers, were folks parked and watched. The police couldn't believe that was got around Kaena Point. Early 1960's.