Album Townsend model

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Got 'er wet today. Spent about two hours chasing waist high jetty peaks around. The waves were nothing special but the board felt pretty dang good. I used the carbon Drab Twins in it which are similar in template to the True Ames Twin. It's quite a different board from what I usually ride and it took a few waves to find the sweet spot but once I started to feel it, it felt pretty natural. It glides around the lineup and catches waves super easily. Seemed like I could kinda stay forward and trim down the line but if I got my foot back over the fins it would turn surprisingly well. I got a couple rights that had a good steep wall and I was pleasantly surprised how well this bigger board could snap tight in the pocket. Had one turn in particular that felt really dang good. Was definitely feeling the asym factor when pushing on the heel edge through a frontside turn. On my backhand it felt good too. Took a few waves to figure it out but I think it was mostly that I was expecting it to feel weird backside and it just took me a few waves to realize that it didn't.

Going to try it with keel fins next. I think it will be a good one, especially in the right conditions.

Reactions: rice

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
laidback said:
Surfboards on ebay... :grin2:

I'm sure his shaping is better at this point
A bunch of his boards were for sale new on Ebay last year through Backcountry. Theres still a couple on the Backcountry site.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Aruka said:
Got 'er wet today. Spent about two hours chasing waist high jetty peaks around. The waves were nothing special but the board felt pretty dang good. I used the carbon Drab Twins in it which are similar in template to the True Ames Twin. It's quite a different board from what I usually ride and it took a few waves to find the sweet spot but once I started to feel it, it felt pretty natural. It glides around the lineup and catches waves super easily. Seemed like I could kinda stay forward and trim down the line but if I got my foot back over the fins it would turn surprisingly well. I got a couple rights that had a good steep wall and I was pleasantly surprised how well this bigger board could snap tight in the pocket. Had one turn in particular that felt really dang good. Was definitely feeling the asym factor when pushing on the heel edge through a frontside turn. On my backhand it felt good too. Took a few waves to figure it out but I think it was mostly that I was expecting it to feel weird backside and it just took me a few waves to realize that it didn't.

Going to try it with keel fins next. I think it will be a good one, especially in the right conditions.
Nice Aruka!

Now that you've had a taste of the asym, I think it might be time to put in an order for a Burch asym hpsb. Something like this:

http://instagr.am/p/BgkKpXLBYsT/

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
that thing looks lovely jkb. I will get a Burch some day, I hope. I need to thin the herd before I put in any more orders but a Burch is definitely high on the list.

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I'm sure many of us here will be more than happy to help you thin the quiver a bit. :cheers:

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Aruka, are you still liking your Townsend twin, any more feedback on it?
I'll chime in. Have the twin pin, asym version. Used it 2 times in overhead, clean East Coast tropical swell. It held surprisingly well, didnt slide out once. It was almost too fast and I outran most barrels, so theres that tradeoff. I didnt intend to get it as a step up-ish, but thats what its become.

Reactions: Havoc and surfbum00

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Aruka, are you still liking your Townsend twin, any more feedback on it?
Yeah it's a great board. I rarely regret riding it. I actually got another, shorter one in XTR with a symmetrical round tail that I find a little more versatile for the beachbreaks I surf. It's basically my cheater board for when I'm surfed out or I just want to get off the shortboard and experience a little more glide.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
TTT.

people still liking their Townend? or would they go for something else?
it's a fun hipster /alt stepup. Rails n tail are pretty foiled- at least on mine- so it's responsive and can be pushed hard from the tail. Catches waves alright, but definitely needs some push. I surf mine in those rare San Diego OH-DOH winter swells at my local reefs. those arcing carves on the big open face feel prettty damn great. 6'7 PU/poly asym with Shapers x album PT fin

encladd

OTF status
Oct 8, 2019
it's a fun hipster /alt stepup. Rails n tail are pretty foiled- at least on mine- so it's responsive and can be pushed hard from the tail. Catches waves alright, but definitely needs some push. I surf mine in those rare San Diego OH-DOH winter swells at my local reefs. those arcing carves on the big open face feel prettty damn great. 6'7 PU/poly asym with Shapers x album PT fin
Picked up a 6'7 in varial and planning to use for Swami's/NCSD reefs for the same purpose. I love the Plasmic so much I want to extend that feeling and style to all waves. Hoping it was the right call. First alt step. Feels so balanced under arm. I can already tell it's going to shred. I could even see these things working in a smaller package.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Picked up a 6'7 in varial and planning to use for Swami's/NCSD reefs for the same purpose. I love the Plasmic so much I want to extend that feeling and style to all waves. Hoping it was the right call. First alt step. Feels so balanced under arm. I can already tell it's going to shred. I could even see these things working in a smaller package.
that's a pretty functional 2-board quiver for NCSD reefs

Jul 18, 2018
TTT.

people still liking their Townend? or would they go for something else?
I've got a smaller one, 6'4" (stock dims) in Varial Carbon that I'm loving. Used it mostly as a step up but It goes well in anything shoulder high and up.
I'm actually thinking about getting a longer one (6'6"-6'8") for when conditions get a big bigger/windier. Or maybe moonstone pin etc.

Reactions: j_mac and encladd