Album Surfboards

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
For the twinsman, I thought the last 3” of tail rocker flip may be what makes it super fun and radical but also frustrating in less than punchy surf.

I could stomach more nose rocker but less tail in the trade

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
This is the kind of thing that is always interesting to me.

For me I feel like the TM could use more rocker.:foreheadslap:

This is one example of why I hesitate to call certain aspects of boards and board design “wrong”.

You want a TM with less rocker, I would be interested in trying one with more rocker….

“Let’s call the whole off….”
Yeah, maybe it's not the overall amount but just where the rocker is. I'm probably more back footed and I like to feel some drive when I push off the back foot and the Twinsman can feel a little less than sparky when surfed this way in less than stellar conditions. It's probably just the overall design elements conspiring against my natural inclinations. The wing that breaks the outline, the substantial vee, the rocker accelerating out the tail. All kind of designed to break the water flow and keep the tail settled. In mushy waves it sometimes felt so boggy.

When I had my best sessions on it it was in good waves and I had to change my approach and surf quite a bit more front footed. When it all came together it was great. I was able to get in early and highline sections like a fish but then also fit turns in the most critical part of the wave. I had some memorable sessions and particular turns that felt awesome and really stuck with me.

I'm not sure if I ever had more than two good session in a row on it and I had a few absolute shockers.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Yeah, maybe it's not the overall amount but just where the rocker is. I'm probably more back footed and I like to feel some drive when I push off the back foot and the Twinsman can feel a little less than sparky when surfed this way in less than stellar conditions. It's probably just the overall design elements conspiring against my natural inclinations. The wing that breaks the outline, the substantial vee, the rocker accelerating out the tail. All kind of designed to break the water flow and keep the tail settled. In mushy waves it sometimes felt so boggy.

When I had my best sessions on it it was in good waves and I had to change my approach and surf quite a bit more front footed. When it all came together it was great. I was able to get in early and highline sections like a fish but then also fit turns in the most critical part of the wave. I had some memorable sessions and particular turns that felt awesome and really stuck with me.

I'm not sure if I ever had more than two good session in a row on it and I had a few absolute shockers.
I’m more of a “front footed” surfer so that makes sense.

Also, I don’t ride it in mush.

Reactions: Aruka and j_mac

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Troy Eckert rode a 6’6 Twinsman at a solid day at a North Baja point break and got one of the waves of the day on one of Matt’s oversized (compared to Troy, who’s a small human) personal borts. Matt is a very good surfer, but Troy’s wave which is well documented, shows how versatile that bort is.

Reactions: j_mac

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Troy Eckert rode a 6’6 Twinsman at a solid day at a North Baja point break and got one of the waves of the day on one of Matt’s oversized (compared to Troy, who’s a small human) personal borts. Matt is a very good surfer, but Troy’s wave which is well documented, shows how versatile that bort is.
Yeah. I really like my 6’7 stretched TM as a semi-stap. Townsend hasn’t been ridden since I got it.

edit: curious about Delma in good waves

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaseTMP and j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
First surf on the 5' 8" AP Twinsman - guess call it the narrower AP Twinsman. It went very well, maybe it was that I was surfing under the moonlight and had the Asher Pacey vibe. It was beautiful, clear morning, it is so cool surfing under moonlight. The volume-forward lower rocker made catching waves easy, and wasn't any issue in pitchier waves. Though these were on the softer side. The front-board width is wider than shortboard board, but not so wide that it catches or makes paddling around a chore. I noticed the speed, so easy, one pump and you are moving. Especially since I have mostly been surfing thrusters. It is a very easy board to throw around. The dimensions and volume are ideal for me. Again it is 5'8"x18 7/8"x2.38". It doesn't have that ultra-flat deck that extends close to the rail making it feel chunky. It is more tapered - still carries volume. For reference, I feel like the 5'8" Freewing feels chunkier. I really like how this Twinsman went and like the boards fit and feel.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
First surf on the 5' 8" AP Twinsman - guess call it the narrower AP Twinsman. It went very well, maybe it was that I was surfing under the moonlight and had the Asher Pacey vibe. It was beautiful, clear morning, it is so cool surfing under moonlight. The volume-forward lower rocker made catching waves easy, and wasn't any issue in pitchier waves. Though these were on the softer side. The front-board width is wider than shortboard board, but not so wide that it catches or makes paddling around a chore. I noticed the speed, so easy, one pump and you are moving. Especially since I have mostly been surfing thrusters. It is a very easy board to throw around. The dimensions and volume are ideal for me. Again it is 5'8"x18 7/8"x2.38". It doesn't have that ultra-flat deck that extends close to the rail making it feel chunky. It is more tapered - still carries volume. For reference, I feel like the 5'8" Freewing feels chunkier. I really like how this Twinsman went and like the boards fit and feel.
Nice!, how's the bogging on sloped sections situation?