Album Surfboards

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Not to get off topic of ReForest burning guys, etc...

I'm interested in ordering a Townsend. What's the order process like? How long do they usually take? I think I want it to end up around 40 liters. Thinking somewhere between 6'8 and 7'2. I was a pretty average joe on a 6'2 when I stopped surfing in Nov 2019. Just got back into surfing last May. Surfed maybe 8-10 times since then. I've had good luck on my log up to about shoulder high. I've also had some fun (catching head high waves and going "weeeeee") on a 7'2 cheater-dim semigun (right around 40 liters), but it doesn't feel very alive and maneuverable until it's well overhead. I was hoping the Mid6 would be the answer, but it feels too big at 7'6, maybe should have gone 7'0. I'm also not so sure that it's the best tool for the job I have in mind for it.

i do still have this weird hangup about surfboard construction and i don't want it to get in the way of me getting and enjoying a Townsend. my preferred construction is epoxy over poly. i've made a bunch of boards that way that were great and lasted a long time. i was certainly prejudiced against poly resin for a long time but i think i'm willing to revisit it, assuming the quality of the glass job is above par. how do pupe albums hold up?

blah blah blah

appreciate any insight
you can order epoxy over poly construction on Album's custom order form. It's $100 bucks more. you could also probably request that glassing done at Waterman's Guild or Lights Out if you order custom

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I've had a couple of townsends in xtr. They work and I like the tech. Different glass options depending on how heavy/durable you want it. My last Album through them took about 2 months with basic color/sanded finish.

If you end up going pu, take a look at Album's inventory on their website. They list who did the glassing on each one and have highres images for each board. Some are a lot more consistent than others.

Reactions: JDJ

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
my og pu/pe album, which had to be in house, was terrifically bomb proof.

I've gone varial 64/6 and 44/4 for my others but I seek pu/pe not epoxy feels and the longest one is 5'8. ymmv.

Reactions: silentbutdeadly

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
my og pu/pe album, which had to be in house, was terrifically bomb proof.

I've gone varial 64/6 and 44/4 for my others but I seek pu/pe not epoxy feels and the longest one is 5'8. ymmv.
“In-house” would be Loner surf club, next door. They like them a lot but small operation so can’t handle too much volume.
I asked the shop bro about requesting Watermans Guild to glass a custom as I thought they were the best of the three shops they use. he said sure.
My boars (all but one were used) were WG or Loner Surf. I asked. Have zero issues with glassing/sand. YMMV of course.
I believe most of the pizza stains, etc are Lights Out!
Have two varials, both fantastic.

Reactions: jkb, Aruka and JDJ

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've had a couple of townsends in xtr. They work and I like the tech. Different glass options depending on how heavy/durable you want it. My last Album through them took about 2 months with basic color/sanded finish.

If you end up going pu, take a look at Album's inventory on their website. They list who did the glassing on each one and have highres images for each board. Some are a lot more consistent than others.
ya and alwayz go lights out glassing for da kine pizza box stain fin patch art

averagejoe

Miki Dora status
May 28, 2008
So far away
www.mardawg.com
I like the varial option
don’t love $1,300… yikes
i mean, i guess that’s what the price should be but fuckme (not buttfuck me)

• Haha
Reactions: need 4 speed

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Price on an xtr Townsend on the website is almost $200 more than the other models unless that’s a mistake.

man, I didn’t realize what a good deal by comparison an xtr Album is, especially with $100 off.