Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
These Album boards have risen to the top, especially over the last month.

5' 11"x19"x2.44" BomDia remains a favorite, it hasn't let me down. It is always in the truck. I find my 5' 6" Disorders need a good wave and a few pumps to get them going and then they feel fast and nimble (ie skateboard feel), whereas the Bom Dia goes immediately with more control. And there is something about having that pointed nose that helps get into waves easier than Disorder nose.

6' 4" x19"x2.44" Modtwin, when the waves get bigger and need a little more length/board. The mini-swallow is not visually the most appealing, but it provides surprisingly a good amount of hold. It can hang in good waves, where many of my twins start to feel too fast. For me, the Modtwin has the most performance foil/foam distribution of all of the Album models, which I like. I have a shorter 5' 9" RT ModTwin that I enjoy, which is what led to this longer version.

6' 9"x19.5"x2.38" Dis/Ixion - a hybrid between Mick Fanning's STAB EAST and standard 3-fin Disorder tail. This fortuitously feels like stretched BomDia equally works as better wave performance midlength. Similar attributes to the Townsend, but enjoying the Dis/Ixion more. I got heavier glassing with it, which feels good in the bigger waves. The Dis/Ixion is similar to the Bom Dia in that it goes immediately.

5' 11" Bom Dia and 6' 9" Dis/Ixion
IMG_4555.jpg

6' 4" Modtwin
IMG_4384.jpg

Last edited:

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
I ride albums.

What type am I?
I don’t think I know you so I can’t answer your question.
But if you want to know what type I’ve shared lineups with? Not all, but by far…most Tomo/FW/SD/Album riders I‘VE seen are newer surfers(young and old) lacking basic surf etiquette. They also seem to be very loyal to said brands, to a fault imo. Nothing wrong with loyalty to a board brand but I hear them discounting all other brands as inferior. Of course they don’t all have these traits, but for some reason they seem to have them more often than surfers riding other brands
**Again…I’m speaking strictly on MY experience around guys that ride Tomo/FW/SD/Albums, so YMMV

Reactions: Lowqi2 and Havoc

waxurDyl

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 22, 2010
SoBay
What type of person buys a quiver of soft tops?
The type with the means and willingness to buy them so my nieces and nephews have boards to ride without damaging my “real” boards when they visit

I’m also the type that loves boards and supporting domestic board builders by ordering entire quivers from them. I’m the type receiving countless PMs, DMs and texts from people(many of you here) asking for dibs on boards I post, knowing I sell lightly used/highly desired boards for huge discounts. Discounts that many of you reading this are enjoying
:waving::waving::waving:

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I don’t think I know you so I can’t answer your question.
But if you want to know what type I’ve shared lineups with? Not all, but by far…most Tomo/FW/SD/Album riders I‘VE seen are newer surfers(young and old) lacking basic surf etiquette. They also seem to be very loyal to said brands, to a fault imo. Nothing wrong with loyalty to a board brand but I hear them discounting all other brands as inferior. Of course they don’t all have these traits, but for some reason they seem to have them more often than surfers riding other brands
**Again…I’m speaking strictly on MY experience around guys that ride Tomo/FW/SD/Albums, so YMMV
This describes most surfers in general.

Whats “SD”?