Album Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Blessings on you both for enabling another board purchase! Will report on how it goes...
View attachment 143317
$1000 for a used board less than 7 feet, I'm guessing that price just includes the shipping.

Note to self:

Keep the wax on when you sell the board, it will make it so you can't see any pressure denting or cracking.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.03.19 AM.png

Also, sandthru lap edges are SO HOT right now.

Screen Shot 2022-12-06 at 9.02.36 AM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: thekadvang

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
$1000 for a used board less than 7 feet, I'm guessing that price just includes the shipping.

Note to self:

Keep the wax on when you sell the board, it will make it so you can't see any pressure denting or cracking.

View attachment 143369

View attachment 143370
at least it has a butterfly patch. boar looks really fun tho. perfect for bigger non barreling waves

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
I like the round pin Plasmid. For hawaii especially. Probably wont be quite so back footed with less area in the rear.
Yeah I agree, I debated YOLOing this one for exactly this reason. My 6' 10" Plasmid is fun, though above shoulder high it is too fast, so shorter, narrower pintail would be near perfect. I like the hold associated with the bottom channel when the waves have push, which is one of the selling points of the board. I am glad someone bought it! I have 6' 5"x18.6"x2.56" skinny, pintail Twinsman that is going well in overhead conditions - gets in early and moves, and nowhere near as fast. When the waves are even bigger, I need something more, and I am leaning toward a 7' 1"x20" Moonstone Pintail, as our waves are not barreling more big, fast slabs of water.

vanrysss

Billy Hamilton status
Mar 25, 2019
from Oregon, now SD
Friend of mine has a 6'6" moonstone pintail he likes at Rockies and a few other spots. I've kinda given up on twins in proper waves, I don't like the slidy feeling.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Friend of mine has a 6'6" moonstone pintail he likes at Rockies and a few other spots. I've kinda given up on twins in proper waves, I don't like the slidy feeling.
I did ask Matt about the PT Moonstone being a quad. The PT has channels. He said the channels with twin is all that is generally needed. It will be good for me to experience. I don't have many longers boards. I do like the profile/foam of the 5' 11" Moonstone.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I did ask Matt about the PT Moonstone being a quad. The PT has channels. He said the channels with twin is all that is generally needed. It will be good for me to experience. I don't have many longers boards. I do like the profile/foam of the 5' 11" Moonstone.
As an avid quad rider with 40 years of experience riding them I will say you listen to Matt.

First of all, and this needs to said, a well made quad paired with the right fin setup in the right waves is as good as surfing gets…but….

1. It can difficult to impossible to actually achieve this combination.

2. I have never ridden a channel bottom thinking it should be a quad.

3. I’ve never ridden a quad and thought it needed channels.

4. Since I’ve delved into the modern twin fin world (I sort of always rode quads and twins) im not all that thrilled by quads.

The quads I have are now ridden with AMTs front and nubsters in the rears.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
As an avid quad rider with 40 years of experience riding them I will say you listen to Matt.

First of all, and this needs to said, a well made quad paired with the right fin setup in the right waves is as good as surfing gets…but….

1. It can difficult to impossible to actually achieve this combination.

2. I have never ridden a channel bottom thinking it should be a quad.

3. I’ve never ridden a quad and thought it needed channels.

4. Since I’ve delved into the modern twin fin world (I sort of always rode quads and twins) im not all that thrilled by quads.

The quads I have are now ridden with AMTs front and nubsters in the rears.
Cool - thanks for this, it is good to know! I am excited to see where it takes me. I always default to Matt, as he has never let me down.

The bigger waves as of lately, have been hit-and-miss. You go from being on top of the world, an adrenaline high, to second guessing every decision. It is a humbling experience. Being out in the big waves on the wrong boards - sucks - haha. After making the paddle out, you are stuck making the most of it, mentally kicking yourself. I have accepted my loss at times and switched boards, and appreciated my decision well afterwards. My go-to bigger waves boards are the 6' 5" skinny Twinsman and 6' 2" Insanity, both have limits for my mortal skills. I need a longer board for certain wave conditions - hence the 7' 1" PT Moonstone.

Last edited:

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central

Note to self:

View attachment 143369

View attachment 143370
bad vibes bob over here!!!!!!

but tbh i was also wondering if the wax will be removed before the board comes to me

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
Cool - thanks for this, it is good to know! I am excited to see where it takes me. I always default to Matt, as he has never let me down.

The bigger waves as of lately, have been hit-and-miss. You go from being on top of the world, an adrenaline high, to second guessing every decision. It is a humbling experience. Being out in the big waves on the wrong boards - sucks - haha. After making the paddle out, you are stuck making the most of it, mentally kicking yourself. I have accepted my loss at times and switched boards, and appreciated my decision well afterwards. My go-to bigger waves boards are the 6' 5" skinny Twinsman and 6' 2" Insanity, both have limits for my mortal skills. I need a longer board for certain wave conditions - hence the 7' 1" PT Moonstone.
I’m not sure what you mean by “big” but for me when it gets “big“ I have a 6’8 CI SP12 round pin quad (ridden as quad - CTs front and True Ames 60/40 rears) and a 7’6 M13 gun, round pin, same fin set up.

If it’s a fast down the line point and shoot type wave I might throw in AM2 quad set “tech flex” in the 6’8 or glass AM2 in front with the 60/40 rears.

Reactions: j_mac and Havoc

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I’m not sure what you mean by “big” but for me when it gets “big“ I have a 6’8 CI SP12 round pin quad (ridden as quad - CTs front and True Ames 60/40 rears) and a 7’6 M13 gun, round pin, same fin set up.

If it’s a fast down the line point and shoot type wave I might throw in AM2 quad set “tech flex” in the 6’8 or glass AM2 in front with the 60/40 rears.
+1 on what you mean by "big"

for me i am almost totally on the twin fin train (with a couple thruster shortboards) but have found that they have their limits in ~2x overhead surf and then my boards are all quads (starting at 7'2")

i think it definitely depends what kind of "big" wave you are surfing -- for me in norcal/hawaii i found that the twin does not offer enough control for critical drops in waves with a lot of energy. a big slopey wave im sure it would go great

there are a couple guys here who ride those twin fin tomo guns at 9'0" + and love them so who knows

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

for me i am almost totally on the twin fin train (with a couple thruster shortboards) but have found that they have their limits in ~2x overhead surf and then my boards are all quads (starting at 7'2")

i think it definitely depends what kind of "big" wave you are surfing -- for me in norcal/hawaii i found that the twin does not offer enough control for critical drops in waves with a lot of energy. a big slopey wave im sure it would go great

there are a couple guys here who ride those twin fin tomo guns at 9'0" + and love them so who knows
i’m jealous that u r in hawaii and got that plasmid pin twin

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

The 7'2 round pin moonstone I ordered is really sick but I found its limitations pretty soon. That doesn't mean that I'm bummed about it or anything but it didn't take long to figure out where a twin comes up short in bigger surf. In the 8' - 12' range when it's good or breaking top to bottom I'm really wishing it was a quad. I just don't feel like I can push the twin hard enough on my front side or get high and tight enough on the backside. I had it out on one really good, clean DOH day with super fast, long walls and was getting clipped going down the line on waves that I think I would have been making on a quad. I also found that the twin doesn't come around nearly fast enough for this kind of high-speed, midface cutbacks that you have to do when you're going backside on lefts at OB.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
The 7'2 round pin moonstone I ordered is really sick but I found its limitations pretty soon. That doesn't mean that I'm bummed about it or anything but it didn't take long to figure out where a twin comes up short in bigger surf. In the 8' - 12' range when it's good or breaking top to bottom I'm really wishing it was a quad. I just don't feel like I can push the twin hard enough on my front side or get high and tight enough on the backside. I had it out on one really good, clean DOH day with super fast, long walls and was getting clipped going down the line on waves that I think I would have been making on a quad. I also found that the twin doesn't come around nearly fast enough for this kind of high-speed, midface cutbacks that you have to do when you're going backside on lefts at OB.
100% -- I have a 7'2" ledge twin fin and felt similarly about it here. had some really sketchy drops frontside and never have gone left on it. i think the quad gets a big advantage with more fin on the rail for the high line

album had a couple of "guns" aka 7-8' ledges on the site with a twin + trailer setup and I know danny hess has been playing around with that on big boards as well. i'm tempted to put in a center box and try it on mine

Reactions: oeste858 and j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks! Big as in the 8'-12' range. Good information, I am still curious to see how the Moonstone goes, probably need to look for something else.

Over the turkey break, two guys from the bay area that surf OB a lot, were surfing down here. They said the break was similar to OB though a bit friendlier with the channel and wave shape. Both were comfortable in the big waves. One guy was on rusty stepup and nailed some impressive drops, and had some good waves. However the other guy was on 7' 4" Hess quad, he was consistently getting the outside sets and solid runs to shore. The 7' 4" Hess seemed really good. I surfed with them for two days. I was on the 6' 2" Insanity quad and 6' 5" Twinsman, and both boards were relatively solid. Waves were in the 6-7ft for these days.