Album Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
i ran the shapers Album AR's first couple sessions and then I've gone to the NVS T-Knox. I think the T-Knox feel great. A little looser. I will try the Rastas next time the waves are small.
I’ve got the NVS TKnox locked and loaded in my 6’6 Townsend. Waiting for swell.

Reactions: MathDebater

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
BTW if the upright NVS album apex twin or asher pacey 5.59 are feeling too small or not drivey enough, but the asher pacey 5.79 feels like too much fin, I'm riding the captain fin version of the tyler warren twin fin in my plasmic and it feels great. Looks like a similar base as the 5.79 but a more upright back edge and a smaller, more raked tip. Area slots in nicely in-between those fins at 21.31. Also comes with a trailer which I haven't used yet (since I don't have any boards set up as twin+trailer). I got the fiberglass version but they also sell a RTM version that's retail price cheaper and doesn't come with a trailer. I have seen smaller versions of Tyler Warren twin and trailer but i'm not sure if they're older versions or newer versions. I got this version:
but bought it from Jack's for $20 less in a different colorway.

Jul 15, 2008
I’ve got the NVS TKnox locked and loaded in my 6’6 Townsend. Waiting for swell.
I use FCS2, and there is not a lot of info about the twin fins offered by FCS. I will try to do a small review of all the fins I have used with my Plasmic and Twinsman RP. Perhaps it would help to have more feedback.

The NVS TKnox looks very similar to the Mick Fanning Twin Fin from FCS. I liked them a lot in my Plasmic, but they were too sticky on my Twinsman RP. For me, the RP Twinsman is a good wave board with a lot of hold and control, so I think that a more upright fin with less area will help. I will try the Album NVS and the Mark Richards when we have some swell here.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I use FCS2, and there is not a lot of info about the twin fins offered by FCS. I will try to do a small review of all the fins I have used with my Plasmic and Twinsman RP. Perhaps it would help to have more feedback.

The NVS TKnox looks very similar to the Mick Fanning Twin Fin from FCS. I liked them a lot in my Plasmic, but they were too sticky on my Twinsman RP. For me, the RP Twinsman is a good wave board with a lot of hold and control, so I think that a more upright fin with less area will help. I will try the Album NVS and the Mark Richards when we have some swell here.
I’ve also found I didn’t need as much fin on the TMRP as it has plenty of hold. Have mostly used the album x shapers PT since I got them. But the first time I tried the boar was the biggest day I’ve had it out- was solid DOH and punchy for local reef- and I had Akilas then, which are relatively small and skinny tip. I actually expected to have some slidey moments but it handled like a champ and we fell in love after only a couple waves. Anytime it gets HH or above, we can rekindle our romance

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2008
I’ve also found I didn’t need as much fin on the TMRP as it has plenty of hold. Have mostly used the album x shapers PT since I got them. But the biggest day I’ve had it out was solid DOH and punchy for local reef and I had Akilas which are relatively small and skinny tip. I actually expected to have some slidey moments but it handled like a champ and we fell in love after only a couple waves. Anytime it gets HH or above, we can rekindle our romance
Is the Akila template in futures the same as the one in FCS? I suppose that the album x shapers PT is the same template from NVS.
It makes sense to me that a smaller fin will work very well on the RP Twinsman. I have used only the Power Fins and the Mick Fanning ones. The Power fins worked very good on DOH day, but with smaller surf, they still feel like too much fin.

I´m very surprised how well Album boards hold in wave size. They feel like thrusters. I have surfed my Plasmic in well-overhead waves with the Brit Merrick fins, and it was so much fun!

SD_Dan

OTF status
Jan 23, 2019
Is the Akila template in futures the same as the one in FCS? I suppose that the album x shapers PT is the same template from NVS.
It makes sense to me that a smaller fin will work very well on the RP Twinsman. I have used only the Power Fins and the Mick Fanning ones. The Power fins worked very good on DOH day, but with smaller surf, they still feel like too much fin.

I´m very surprised how well Album boards hold in wave size. They feel like thrusters. I have surfed my Plasmic in well-overhead waves with the Brit Merrick fins, and it was so much fun!
Agreed. I bought the plasmic with the intent of using it as a groveler but like it much better in bigger waves. All that with the caveat that bigger waves in so cal are still not all that powerful…especially lately….winter swells please come soon.

Reactions: MathDebater

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

They are quite similar in shape. T knox is bigger.

I like them both.
20220820_192252.jpg

Feb 13, 2022
San Diego
BTW if the upright NVS album apex twin or asher pacey 5.59 are feeling too small or not drivey enough, but the asher pacey 5.79 feels like too much fin, I'm riding the captain fin version of the tyler warren twin fin in my plasmic and it feels great. Looks like a similar base as the 5.79 but a more upright back edge and a smaller, more raked tip. Area slots in nicely in-between those fins at 21.31. Also comes with a trailer which I haven't used yet (since I don't have any boards set up as twin+trailer). I got the fiberglass version but they also sell a RTM version that's retail price cheaper and doesn't come with a trailer. I have seen smaller versions of Tyler Warren twin and trailer but i'm not sure if they're older versions or newer versions. I got this version:
but bought it from Jack's for $20 less in a different colorway.
Thanks for the recommendation, Ive been wanting to try something with a bit more rake than the cobra twins and forgot I already had these TWs. They weren't big enough for a lightbender I used to have. I also have a 3in long permanent scar on my butt from the fiberglass TWs... I would have preferred falling on pretty much any other fin.

I have had the RTM ones in the past and they were fun as a twin+trailer in the HS Misc but I think they would be a little too flexy as a pure twin.

Reactions: HSY