Album Surfboards

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
The Goat has a beak nose? relatively foam friendly?
Yeah beak nose, its an Insanity front end! I haven't surfed an Album board yet that isn't foam friendly. Out of all of my Albums, the rails on the GOAT are the best.

@racer1 why not do a custom Goat with Matt? My Album customs from him are finished in about 3-4 weeks these days. Granted I am not getting anything special, no colors, etc.

Reactions: chilly1 and SD_Dan

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
medium yolo alert -- i've never ordered TWO customs at once:

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.38.28 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 12.38.18 PM.png

5’9” x 18.88” x 2.35” twinsman round pin with beak nose
6’3” x 19.25” x 2.44” moonstone round pin

initial thoughts:

beak nose twinsman carries a LOT more foam up front than my 5'4" version, which is exactly what I wanted. board still feels like a blade underarm despite all the foam-- one of my favorite things about matt's boards

moonstone round pin looks insane as a mini-step; compared to the 6'3 ledge (magic board) that I broke/repaired there's a bit more nose/tail rocker and more curve in the outline + the rails feel more "rippy"

custom ordering process from album was awesome: matt was happy to talk on the phone, they killed it on my color/lamination requests and got everything done in 2 months! now just need to wait for winter...

Last edited:

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020

View attachment 135817
View attachment 135818

initial thoughts:

beak nose twinsman carries a LOT more foam up front than my 5'4" version, which is exactly what I wanted. board still feels like a blade underarm despite all the foam-- one of my favorite things about matt's boards

moonstone round pin looks insane as a mini-step; compared to the 6'3 ledge (magic board) that I broke/repaired there's a bit more nose/tail rocker and more curve in the outline + the rails feel more "rippy"

custom ordering process from album was awesome: matt was happy to talk on the phone, they killed it on my color/lamination requests and got everything done in 2 months! now just need to wait for winter...
You are going to love the skinny Twinsman! Boards look great!

Jul 15, 2008

View attachment 135817
View attachment 135818

initial thoughts:

Sick boards! They look incredible. I have ridden my Twinsmann RP only once in HH OH waves, and ti seems to be a good waves board. Lots of speed, but a little bit sticky if the waves are flat. It needs some push. The moonstone looks incredible as a step up. Now you need some swell!!

Has anyone ridden the Moonstone and the Townsend as a step up to do a comparison??

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Sick boards! They look incredible. I have ridden my Twinsmann RP only once in HH OH waves, and ti seems to be a good waves board. Lots of speed, but a little bit sticky if the waves are flat. It needs some push. The moonstone looks incredible as a step up. Now you need some swell!!

Has anyone ridden the Moonstone and the Townsend as a step up to do a comparison??
I had RT stock Twinsman, and didn't really get along with it and eventually sold it. And that buyer, eventually sold it. I was hesitant to get similar shapes. Time leads to memory loss, so I tested the waters again. I feel the skinny Twinsman is more versatile, still wants some wave size, but works in more average conditions. The narrower width allows the board to be more sensitive and starts moving quicker and easier in smaller waves with some shape.

I received my 5' 11" Moonstone last week. Nothing like most of the longer Moonstones online. Surfed it in some steep, local wind waves (5ft/6sec). I am still figuring it out and the leash plug location is in horrible spot, which I was tripping over. I am going to fix this. It was interesting, some waves felt like a standard board (nothing bad or great), and then handful of waves the board just accelerated with composure. And during these wave, some thing about swallow tail, fin location, fin type allowed it to maneuver nicely. Now I need to figure out how to consistently bring out the best in this board.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco

View attachment 135817
View attachment 135818

initial thoughts:

Boards look sick. Interested to hear how they go.

Just finalizing detials with

View attachment 135817
View attachment 135818

initial thoughts:

Those look awesome. Just firmed up the details with Matt for a 7'2 moonstone step-up mid-length.

Looking forward to the ride reviews on these boards.

What are you planning on using the Twinsman for? Everyday fun/good waves?

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

Those look awesome. Just firmed up the details with Matt for a 7'2 moonstone step-up mid-length.

Are you going round pin or swallow on the 7-2?

Reactions: j_mac

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD

My 6'7" Townsend is an amazing step up. My 5'6" tmrp was good as well. They're just very, very different boards.... Not sure how to compare them.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central

Thinking of it as a Kauai winter "daily driver" for the shoulder to OH range depending on the wave

I have had very similar experience with my stock twinsman as people above: moments of brilliance, but definitely did NOT like a flat wave -- will be interesting to see if a longer, skinnier version goes different