Album Surfboards

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I wonder how the longer Moonstone round pin compares to a Townsend. They sure look nice but its hard to tell what kind of rocker n foil they have just based on pics. @Duffy LaCoronilla or anyone else have thoughts?

Reactions: j_mac

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I wonder how the longer Moonstone round pin compares to a Townsend. They sure look nice but its hard to tell what kind of rocker n foil they have just based on pics. @Duffy LaCoronilla or anyone else have thoughts?
Those particular RP MSs had quite a bit of continuous rocker. The only reason I didn’t buy one is because I have a 6’6 Townsend on order and I have other boards for the type of surf I think the MS would be for.

I tried not to fondle them too much because I would have ended up buying one.

Also, Matt said the Townsend had more range. Those MSs look like juice squeezers.

They are beefy so would “work” in smaller surf but not ideal.

Now that I think about I’m probably going to buy one anyway.

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
I talked with Matt about a Moonstone RP vs. Townsend and he said the Townsend has more "midlength" vibes -- wider nose, flatter, and with more lower range but maybe less of a true stepup for pumping waves. Pretty much exactly what Duffy said...

I wanted something to replace a magic 6'3" ledge that I snapped and had put back together so ordered the Moonstone. Will report back when the board is in hand.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thanks for the responses @thekadvang and @Duffy LaCoronilla .

Pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I have a plasmid on order so that should cover me for smaller wave middy shreds but I've been wanting something for bigger, open ocean juice. Just not sure if I want a twin for that kind of surf or something with 5 boxes more akin to a Chili midstrength or the mid6, etc.

My 7-2 AG channel twin works good in juice and midsized waves as a cheater but I think something more refined in outline/rails would be easier to control in powerful surf.

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
Thanks for the responses @thekadvang and @Duffy LaCoronilla .

Pretty much confirmed what I thought.

I have a plasmid on order so that should cover me for smaller wave middy shreds but I've been wanting something for bigger, open ocean juice. Just not sure if I want a twin for that kind of surf or something with 5 boxes more akin to a Chili midstrength or the mid6, etc.

My 7-2 AG channel twin works good in juice and midsized waves as a cheater but I think something more refined in outline/rails would be easier to control in powerful surf.
I have a 6' 6" Townsend that's great. It remains in the board rotation. It is always enjoyable, I think because I don't surf it as often. The reality is that I only enjoy surfing a board this long for about 1 session and then I want something shorter.

I have 3 customs in the works with Matt now to fill board gaps and to change it up a bit. Not sure if this piques your interest. Matt suggested a skinny asymmetric Twinsman (referred to as the Sterlana). He initially recommended a 5' 7"-5' 8" (which near my go-to length), but I asked for a 5' 11", as I am hoping for it to be a stepdown Townsend.

Reactions: SixtyGrit and Aruka

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
damn Jmac is a screwfoot. I take back any nice thing I've said :waving:
Damn, I like the nice things you say - haha - yeah I am all fvkked up. I broke my leg as a kid causing my leg dominance to switch. My lower body wants to go left, and my upper body wants to go right. This took me a little to recognize with surfing. I think this helps me in strange way going backside.

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
"I broke my leg as a kid causing my leg dominance to switch." what in the holy hell...never heard of such a thing.

Reactions: j_mac

j_mac

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 16, 2020
"I broke my leg as a kid causing my leg dominance to switch." what in the holy hell...never heard of such a thing.
Yes I doubt many people have a story like this...
It was bad break, 3 plus months in cast, and this was before physical therapy was common to most people. It was the first I went skiing and was hitting jumps and skiis kept popping off on landing, so we tightened the screw (too much). Next thing I knew my leg went all the way around (360 - broke lots of bones). After 3 months in a cast, my leg was basically bone. It was up to me and my parents to figure out how to get me back. My parents bought me a skateboard to help with building my leg muscles up and regaining balance. My left leg became stronger in process of rehabilitating my right leg. It sucked, it took a long to walk normally. It was all on me to figure this out. An odd concept to learn to walk again. I got pretty good at skateboarding, ollie over a trash can, jumping a van long ways eventually doing 360s over the van, ollie handrails 30-40 steps. I won a few contests. I did fracture my lower back doing all this stupid stuff.....and now I am professor in nearshore oceanography - go figure - haha!

Last edited: