Album Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
I think a decent chest high wave is Twinsman territory. Plasmic EAST will handle that size great as well while having a better low end and doing better in mush. I can't comment on the standard Plasmic or Flying Manta. I don't think standard Plasmic has the low end of a Manta, but what does.
You have a 6’6 Townsend IIRC. Is it stock dims? If so do you feel it to be too narrow?

What kind of waves use for?

Dark Arts, Varial or….?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
You have a 6’6 Townsend IIRC. Is it stock dims? If so do you feel it to be too narrow?

What kind of waves use for?

Dark Arts, Varial or….?
It's 6-6 x 19.75 x 2.6 Round Tail, XTR 7.c stringered

Super versatile board, just like my bigger one. It's not a groveler but it does great in garbage surf. Actually gotten some great tubes on it too. Limitations would be tight turns in the pocket on a juicy wave. Accels in tricky conditions with flat and steep sections. The type of surf that would vex me on a shortboard. It feels like the type of board that splits the dif between a big clunky midlength and something like a fish. Rarely would I regret surfing it unless it's very big or very small. Generally I run upright fins for more versatility in beachbreak conditions. Have had fun with more swept back semi keel fins like the Fascination or Album/Alkali template when I want more drive.

My bigger one is 6-8 x 19.5 x 2.6 asym PU

I pretty much always run the Fascination template in the bigger one and ride it more as a step up. Stable and fast. More drive than the shorter one but noticeably less lively in the small stuff.

As far as width goes I don't think I'd change either one too much. If you want a little more low end, go 20 or so. For more of a step up style, keep it narrow IMO.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

Super versatile board, just like my bigger one. It's not a groveler but it does great in garbage surf. Actually gotten some great tubes on it too. Limitations would be tight turns in the pocket on a juicy wave. Accels in tricky conditions with flat and steep sections. The type of surf that would vex me on a shortboard. It feels like the type of board that splits the dif between a big clunky midlength and something like a fish. Rarely would I regret surfing it unless it's very big or very small. Generally I run upright fins for more versatility in beachbreak conditions. Have had fun with more swept back semi keel fins like the Fascination or Album/Alkali template when I want more drive.

I pretty much always run the Fascination template in the bigger one and ride it more as a step up. Stable and fast. More drive than the shorter one but noticeably less lively in the small stuff.

As far as width goes I don't think I'd change either one too much. If you want a little more low end, go 20 or so. For more of a step up style, keep it narrow IMO.
so let me get this straight, u like the fascination twins in this boar right? it’s not that clear from ur post

jwd

Nov 24, 2004

@Aruka, do you notice a performance difference between the two constructions? XTR vs PU? Or any benefits/drawbacks?

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
@Aruka, do you notice a performance difference between the two constructions? XTR vs PU? Or any benefits/drawbacks?
Yeah. XTR is a bit lighter and livelier than the heavy glassed PU. There are tradeoffs either way so depends on what you prefer or what conditions you're getting it for. I think for smaller and clean conditions the XTR is nice just because it's easier to throw around and doesn't feel as big as it is. It doesn't maintain composure as well as the PU when hitting chop at high speed. I have an XTR Plasmid on order and I went for the heavier glassed option just to see how that feels.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just stopping by to rave about the 6’4 PlasmEgg (blunt-nosed Plasmid roundtail). Back on it for last 2 surfs after a couple months.
You guys are blowin it. Just order a copy of this one if you want:
A) crowdkiller / cheater
B) catches anything knee-high and up
C) slide the glide hipster chit
D) buttery turns from the tail
E) magic Plasmic channel sorcery
F) all the above… a.k.a. the perfect summer boar

EBEE6717-F3F6-476A-8D4E-C4E94B7C6684.jpeg42478814-D86D-44ED-BBF4-2C5EE7CCAC5C.jpegAFB37939-5780-4ADB-98D7-24E719D586BB.jpeg

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Just stopping by to rave about the 6’4 PlasmEgg (blunt-nosed Plasmid roundtail). Back on it for last 2 surfs after a couple months.
You guys are blowin it. Just order a copy of this one if you want:
A) crowdkiller / cheater
B) catches anything knee-high and up
C) slide the glide hipster chit
D) buttery turns from the tail
E) magic Plasmic channel sorcery
F) all the above… a.k.a. the perfect summer boar

View attachment 132230View attachment 132232View attachment 132231
That thing looks sick. When would I ride it over my 6'7 Townsend?

Reactions: frontsidegrab

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
That thing looks sick. When would I ride it over my 6'7 Townsend?
When the waves are under shoulder / head-high..
My 6’7 Townsend is a hipster stepup for me. Way more foiled- so it dissapointed as a crowd killer / mushbuster in the small stuff. IMO Plasmids will be better paddlers / wave-catchers.
YMMV

Edit: the plasmids also have lower rocker- on both ends- than my Townsend.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aruka and SixtyGrit

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think i like the nvs upright album set in my plasmic.

I’ll be honest tho, I like a lot of fins in it.
But non-brown (sorry, "kelp") fins killin your hipster cred.

I also haven't the OG plasmic fins issues that it sounds like some others have. Also, due to the relatively small length, I feel like my feet are always in the right spot, and back foot on tail, so I've always found it easy to surf despite normally considering myself more "front-footed".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: sdsrfr

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
But non-brown (sorry, "kelp") fins killin your hipster cred
but but but these have series III foil. Tech bro side rejoices over the application of NACA tables.

i have to be one of the more complex concoctions of hipster anti counter culture soy boy rockabilly soul tech bro punk rock vegetarian only at home surfers out there.