Album Surfboards

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
been waiting for a 6'1" twinsman to appear...but have been thinking about how sh!t our waves are usually and wonder if I shouldnt get a 5'9" plasmic instead...any comparisons betwing plasmic and vs flying manta? if the plasmic has a higher top end - works well in chest high good waves Im guessing I should get it one instead of a tm. Looking for a board for our good days, which to be honest arent that great.
I have a 5’11 Twinsman that’s wider and thicker than stock. Want to buy it?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Sounds awesome!
If you don't mind, please let me know your dims etc. I'm thinking I'll order a moonstone pin from Varial but am looking for some more info on sizing and how it goes in overhead surf.
Interesting. I also like the Ledge that I have a lot but it's 6'9 and pretty chunky and I sometimes wish it was more 'rippable'.

Really struggling to resist the urge on some of these clear moonstones on the album site right now.

I feel like they could really plug a very precarious gap in my quiver which is the mid-length step-up hole in between my regular mid-length and my 7' guns.

• Love
Reactions: MathDebater
Jul 18, 2018
Interesting. I also like the Ledge that I have a lot but it's 6'9 and pretty chunky and I sometimes wish it was more 'rippable'.

Really struggling to resist the urge on some of these clear moonstones on the album site right now.

I feel like they could really plug a very precarious gap in my quiver which is the mid-length step-up hole in between my regular mid-length and my 7' guns.
I'd be thinking the same but I scored a 6'4" Townsend off the varial site yesterday so I'm gonna wait for feedback on the Moonstone pin.

YOLO!

Attachments

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
just ordered a 6'3" moonstone pin to replace the 6'3" ledge that I love (and also broke in half/repaired, so it's on it's last legs)

matt said it's got similar paddle power with more rip-ability (my paraphrasing of our conversation) compared to the ledge

very stoked to get in hand; will report back. agree based on looks and our discussion would be a great outer bar board
What did you go for on width and thickness?

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
been waiting for a 6'1" twinsman to appear...but have been thinking about how sh!t our waves are usually and wonder if I shouldnt get a 5'9" plasmic instead...any comparisons betwing plasmic and vs flying manta? if the plasmic has a higher top end - works well in chest high good waves Im guessing I should get it one instead of a tm. Looking for a board for our good days, which to be honest arent that great.
Riding my Plasmic today in pretty good chest-high waves, was fun but I was lacking a bit of control. I will be experimenting with larger fins tomorrow but overall I think it is better in the knee to chest medicre waves where you arent faced with lips and speed for deeper carves. IMHO

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I think a decent chest high wave is Twinsman territory. Plasmic EAST will handle that size great as well while having a better low end and doing better in mush. I can't comment on the standard Plasmic or Flying Manta. I don't think standard Plasmic has the low end of a Manta, but what does.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
re: plasmic range - kind of like all boards once you get them out in their prime wave conditions it kind of gets boring in the other stuff.

plasmic excels on a wave you have some space to go places and zoom around, if that makes sense. knee to waist dumpy beach breaks are not gonna make you love the plasmic (nor twinsman) but a +100yrd peeling reef will be fun knee to hh.

I’ve had my 5’5 plasmic out at perfect chest to hh BB and loved it. kinda felt like bombing hills with the confidence of a foam pit tagging the lip kinda out of control.

twinsman would have been great and had much more precision and control. different fun.

i do think you should keep the plasmic very short. mine is 8” under my height.

Last edited: