Album Surfboards

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
Thanks for the feedback aruka, oeste and tedshred. I have been thinking the stringered 8.0 might be a bit stiff/heavy. However, Shey and Javier have both pushed me towards stringered 8.0, and the added durability sounds nice. SL-CK is probably ideal, but not sure I can justify adding on another $100 per board.

Shey did mention I could try a stringered 8.C with an added patch to the deck tail area. Has anyone tried this? I have a SL-CK red CI fever and I had frontsidegrabs stringered 8.C LB. I find the SL-CK red a little too flexy and light. The stringered 8.c feels pretty good , but frontsidegrab had an extra patch added to the tail because it got pretty pushed in.
If your really rough on boards, 8.0 could be the call. I prefer the weight of the 8.c and they have always been pretty durable for me. Better than a pu. 8.c w/ wood stringer has been my go to for a while. If your around that area, maybe pickup a couple off their rack and see what you think of the weight difference. It bothers some more than others.

SixtyGrit

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 3, 2015
SD
Thanks for the feedback aruka, oeste and tedshred. I have been thinking the stringered 8.0 might be a bit stiff/heavy. However, Shey and Javier have both pushed me towards stringered 8.0, and the added durability sounds nice. SL-CK is probably ideal, but not sure I can justify adding on another $100 per board.

Shey did mention I could try a stringered 8.C with an added patch to the deck tail area. Has anyone tried this? I have a SL-CK red CI fever and I had frontsidegrabs stringered 8.C LB. I find the SL-CK red a little too flexy and light. The stringered 8.c feels pretty good , but frontsidegrab had an extra patch added to the tail because it got pretty pushed in.
I fully endorse the extra glass on the tail... I helped frontsidegrab with the glassing and I'm ready to do the same on my lightbender, but I'll probably pursue getting some lighter glass for it first. I used 4oz on his.

frontsidegrab

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 4, 2014
I'd consider going stringerless or SL-C on the 5'6 plasmic, and SL-C on twinsman. Personally, I like the subtle spring/flex in weak to avg waves (So County SD reefs)
Don;t you have a 5'10 swallow in varial? You unloading that thing, if so??

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
confirmed that the moonstone goes great backside. got about a dozen waves today backside including a 2 turn combo that one of the duu's gave me a compliment on. that never happens when ur as old as me. want a shorter one now for even more shreddy.
Swallow? Dims?

Reactions: Havoc

trifish

Gerry Lopez status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
These pintail moonstones over on the UK site look insane:

Granted this looks like a good board for OB so might not translate for all.
Its great with the swallow. Not sure a pin makes sense with its low fast rocker. Would rather grab my townsend I think at OB. Although you should probably try one and let us know :D

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
Its great with the swallow. Not sure a pin makes sense with its low fast rocker. Would rather grab my townsend I think at OB. Although you should probably try one and let us know :D
Tru swallows better all around but Could see a RP at chest +/-SC though, that would be a good match for slopey yet down-the-line faces probs.

Reactions: Havoc

thekadvang

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 29, 2013
i think we're central
These pintail moonstones over on the UK site look insane:

Granted this looks like a good board for OB so might not translate for all.
just ordered a 6'3" moonstone pin to replace the 6'3" ledge that I love (and also broke in half/repaired, so it's on it's last legs)

matt said it's got similar paddle power with more rip-ability (my paraphrasing of our conversation) compared to the ledge

very stoked to get in hand; will report back. agree based on looks and our discussion would be a great outer bar board

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
sunstone: 5'10x21x2.65
moonstone:7'0x20.75x2.75

moonstone rails are a bit more foiled. sunstone feel thicker at 2.65.

could go down a few inches on both but given my work situation and lack of surf time, these will do until I step down from my position in 2 yrs.

very stocked on these two. need more time on the sunstone but it paddles unreal and has a decent low end. now, going out to search for some crystals and chit....