Album Surfboards

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why give a sh!t about what most surfers ride?
I dunno, there seems to be a wide variety of complaints and reasonings throughout the surf world.

For instance, I once read the Aussies came down hard on the boogies because they considered them a threat to Australia's attempt to dominate pro surfing...if the kids all rode lids it was going to lessen the pool of well trained grommets.

Wavestorms seem to be wavehogs.

etc

Who give's a sh!t what's "in" right now......or how it looks.
Most surfers.

Surfers are pros at following trends and doing whatever everyone else is doing.

They are scared of looking uncool too.

Surfing is very conservative.

dcurbelo

OTF status
Jan 27, 2011
Atlantic Ocean
How do you guys size your Moonstone's for a performance approach? It'd be my first midlenght after riding SB all my life, so I´d like to keep it playful. I'm attracted to the idea of using it in mellow summer point breaks. Considering 6'2-6'4 lengths.
Am I right to think that PU construction suits this type of boards in order to obtain some momentum and stability?
Could do the stretch to go Carbon or Varial but it doesn't seems to me that's the way to go. Particularly in a first attempt.
5'9" 155lbs

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
How do you guys size your Moonstone's for a performance approach? It'd be my first midlenght after riding SB all my life, so I´d like to keep it playful. I'm attracted to the idea of using it in mellow summer point breaks. Considering 6'2-6'4 lengths.
Am I right to think that PU construction suits this type of boards in order to obtain some momentum and stability?
Could do the stretch to go Carbon or Varial but it doesn't seems to me that's the way to go. Particularly in a first attempt.
5'9" 155lbs
I'm your height and really like the custom I got in xtr. I ride your typical keel fish at 5'6" for example. Talked with Matt some about wanting a longer fish that had a little more paddle power to chase waves easier, more rail to push on turns, but not something too long were it felt like a big mid or different to handle in the water. We ended up landing on a shorter/wider moonstone at 6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16. The board came out perfect. It's probably my favorite out of the boards I have at the moment. I run the cc keels in mine and I cant remember being on a a fish with keels where I can do roundhouse cutbacks so easily. It seems to always get on rail smoothly and not slide out. I've mostly had it out in 2ft - 8ft on more slopey reefs. No problem getting momentum or speed generated on it.. same as a lot of fish, but this one does a better job than ones I've tried before at letting you redirect all that speed when you need to. I have to shuffle my feet around at that 6'2" length but once I got used to that I haven't been able to get off it. I like PU on specific boards that will be in large surf mostly to settle them down some, but I consider the moonstone more like a DD w/ a good range and I love xtr for that.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
5'9" 155lbs
I'm 5'10 190# and I'm riding a stock 6'6 moonstone OTR. if I wanted to get more performance out of one, I think I'd go down to a 6'2 but at the same width/thickness of a 6'4

in my experience stringered XTR feels similarly "settled" like PU but with more durability

Last edited:

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I'm 5'10 190# and I'm riding a stock 6'6 moonstone OTR. if I wanted to get more performance out of one, I think I'd go down to a 6'2 but at the same width/thickness of a 6'4
Do you find your rails full/chunky? I've heard a couple of comments about that on longer stock versions. I really like how the rails came out on mine, but i wonder if part of that is from the thickness I got. I might add a longer one at some point, but those rail comments concern me a little. Maybe I could get xtr to match my the rails on my shorter one if that's the case.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Do you find your rails full/chunky? I've heard a couple of comments about that on longer stock versions. I really like how the rails came out on mine, but i wonder if part of that is from the thickness I got. I might add a longer one at some point, but those rail comments concern me a little. Maybe I could get xtr to match my the rails on my shorter one if that's the case.
so the thickness on mine is 2.56, thinner than I think stock dims for a 6'6 which is 2.63. rail feels good to me but I'm heavy for my height, and my "shortboard" (5'10 pyzel mini ghost) is also 2.56. If I got a 6'2 in XTR I'd probably go 2.5 and bump up the width a little bit.

Reactions: trifish

trifish

Billy Hamilton status
Sep 23, 2009
Shred City
I'll need to stop in a shop and feel up some longer ones at some point. I bounce usually between 180-185. Those dims on my moonstone fell at 35L which is more than the 33L I'm usually on, but hasn't been an issue. Board works great.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'll need to stop in a shop and feel up some longer ones at some point. I bounce usually between 180-185. Those dims on my moonstone fell at 35L which is more than the 33L I'm usually on, but hasn't been an issue. Board works great.
birdrock surf shop, where I got mine, still had a 6'4 and a 7'0 last time I was there

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I'm your height and really like the custom I got in xtr. I ride your typical keel fish at 5'6" for example. Talked with Matt some about wanting a longer fish that had a little more paddle power to chase waves easier, more rail to push on turns, but not something too long were it felt like a big mid or different to handle in the water. We ended up landing on a shorter/wider moonstone at 6'2" x 20 x 2 7/16. The board came out perfect. It's probably my favorite out of the boards I have at the moment. I run the cc keels in mine and I cant remember being on a a fish with keels where I can do roundhouse cutbacks so easily. It seems to always get on rail smoothly and not slide out. I've mostly had it out in 2ft - 8ft on more slopey reefs. No problem getting momentum or speed generated on it.. same as a lot of fish, but this one does a better job than ones I've tried before at letting you redirect all that speed when you need to. I have to shuffle my feet around at that 6'2" length but once I got used to that I haven't been able to get off it. I like PU on specific boards that will be in large surf mostly to settle them down some, but I consider the moonstone more like a DD w/ a good range and I love xtr for that.
I'm curious, but still not convinced by a long fish. I'd be looking at a 6'4-6'6, below that, I'm pretty comfortable on my 5'8 tkf up to HH+.
your comparison of Moonstone vs. Townsend was interesting. You should try my 6'4 plasmegg. That fills the crowdkiller slot for me on smaller/softer days but it has a pretty flat rocker. I'd be curious what you thought and how it compares to moonstone. I don't think @tedshred5 is gonna ride it now that he YOLo'ed his moonstone, so I'm gonna get it back.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
I'm curious, but still not convinced by a long fish. I'd be looking at a 6'4-6'6, below that, I'm pretty comfortable on my 5'8 tkf up to HH+.
your comparison of Moonstone vs. Townsend was interesting. You should try my 6'4 plasmegg. That fills the crowdkiller slot for me on smaller/softer days but it has a pretty flat rocker. I'd be curious what you thought and how it compares to moonstone. I don't think @tedshred5 is gonna ride it now that he YOLo'ed his moonstone, so I'm gonna get it back.
you can have her back, I'm with moonstone now. she treats me better

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
So...
thoughts on Ashers stretched out twinsman as stepup?
My 6'1 RP handles HH-OH pretty great. Wonder what a 6'6 could do, vs. say, a Townsend, Moonstone, etc.

085086E4-0569-41EB-B560-7B836F5365D3.jpeg0FCCE718-66D5-4019-A141-8B517FC83880.jpeg5DC917D3-743A-460F-9806-A95DE63007A5.jpeg

Swallow Tail

Billy Hamilton status
Oct 6, 2017
Your Mom’s House